While We Still Can - Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Pendeen Rovers v Ruan Rovers was off in the Cornish Combination League today, along with the rest of the league.

Comment

Barington 5-2 Foxton Reserves
        Cambridgeshire County League Division 2A

With everything around the M25 off, I ventured up the M11 to Barrington, just outside Cambridge for a local derby in the Cambs County League Division 2A.

Barrington's village green is supposedly the longest in England and having been formed in 1893, there's a fair bit of history to the village's football club.

The villages of Barrington and Foxton are only five miles apart, and in football terms, they seemed even closer than that. Practically everyone on the two sides appeared to know each other, and after a quick look on the league website this morning this proved to be the case. A sizable contingent of both sides had played for the opposition at some point, but a special mention should go to Daniel Alder, who has had six separate spells with Barrington and three with Foxton.

So the game was played in good spirits, but not without a bit of needle.

Barrington had Luke Chadwick (of Manchester United fame) bossing things in the middle; and he found it a breeze against two midfielders whose combined age was still less than his own.

The turning point for me came pretty early when a Barrington forward clattered the Foxton keeper who was jumping to collect a loose ball. The keeper was petrified to come off his line for the rest of the game and was lobbed from the edge of the box twice (I think). He wasn't helpe either by a defender who hit a half-volley into his own net from the edge a similar position. Barrington were 3-0 up with barely a quarter of an hour gone.

The home side were 4-0 up at the break and despite Foxton launching a mini revival to get it to 4-2, a screamer from the edge of the box with about 10 to go put an end to any thoughts of a come-back.

I was made to feel very welcome by Barrington Chairman Steve Woodward, who made me a cuppa before the game. I politely turned down his offer of joining them in the pub afterwards though.

Attendance started at around 10, but by the time players from other teams whose games had been called off started to arrive and the sizable contingent of spectators from cars parked up, there was probably closer to 50 there.

There's some more photos here, if you're into that kind of thing.

Comment

Marine 0-1 Ramsbottom Utd

3rd v 2nd in the NPL 1st division NW branch, with a decent travelling support and a number of other one-off attendees from clubs whose games had been called off meant a seasons best crowd of 667.

First half was interesting but not thrilling, with Rammy being the better side. It was also pissing down, which thankfully eased after the interval and the game opened up with decent chances at both ends. Former football league stalwart Tom Kennedy was captaining Ramsbottom and got a good laugh when he shouted in exasperation at a team mate who'd played an ambitious pass for him to chase, "Fucking hell Eddie - five years ago maybe, but not now!"

Marine missed a couple of really decent chances as the game went on, and were made to pay when Rammy patiently worked a chance for their sub to volley in from close range. Had the feeling this will be the last match I get to watch for some time, so enjoyed every minute of it. Here's a pre-match photo showing the metal fence that Sporting mentioned upthread.

Comment

Has anyone seen the Telegraph football section today? Apparently there is a full write up of an Oxfordshire non league game, including players, referee and the crowd of 31.

A photo of said article would be appreciated!

Comment

Somerset Eagles 2 Devonshire Cougars 1

Football still continuing on the island, albeit with last round of league fixtures next weekend, and the FA Cup Final in 3 weeks. This was a vital win for Eagles, who occupy the second to bottom place in the Premier Div (Boulevard Blazers already down), and the 3 points drag Cougars in a 5-team fight to avoid relegation next weekend. No pre-match handshakes, so 'elbow bumps' were the order of the day. For the record, North Village Rams have secured the title, Blazers relegated, and Devonshire Colts and St George's Colts promoted.

Comment

The programme from the postponed Norwich City v Southampton match which should have been on this weekend is now fetching close to £200.

Comment

Yeah that's why I never buy one, clubs take the piss

Comment

Originally posted by Bermuda Iron View Post
                    Blazers relegated
                    Might be time for a bit of league restructuring

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
                      The programme from the postponed Norwich City v Southampton match which should have been on this weekend is now fetching close to £200.
                      I did wonder if that might be the case as it sometimes is for postponed games - savvy lower division clubs who need cash flow might try to release a few onto the market to mitigate the lack of gate receipts.

Comment

What might have happened is that some supporters get it posted out a day or two beforehand so they receive it on the day of the game. They would have been the only ones to get their hands on this, bar people at the club. Typically, all the postponed programmes I own are worth bugger all, but there is a Norwich match from Old Trafford in the late 70's that fetches nearly £200 as well (I don't have this before you ask).

Comment

How far in advance are they printed? Tomorrow's games were postponed a week ago. And the manager's column would need to be written after the previous game which would have been less than a week ago.

Comment

I didn't go to Bath City away at Hungerford Town even though I had had a great time there the last time I went. This was due to the fact that I was DJing outside my local for those running the Bath Half on the Sunday and needed a day to do planning for school. As it happened, it was so wet that we couldn't DJ and, anyway, there was much criticism about the Half going on with corona virus. Not only that but school didn't last the week. So not only did I miss City's last game before everything got cancelled but we won 1-0. Just goes to show you should grab your chances when you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                              How far in advance are they printed? Tomorrow's games were postponed a week ago. And the manager's column would need to be written after the previous game which would have been less than a week ago.
                              I'm not sure, but my dad once saw one on sale late Friday at the club shop in the city., but don't know if tbis is always the case. Somebody I know gets his posted through Saturday morning.

Comment

Oops. I think (in fact I know) I'm guilty of getting my weeks mixed up here.

Comment

When I got banned, they'd already printed the programme for the following Tuesday. So someone at Millmoor spent their Monday going through all of them and ripping out the page with my notes...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                    When I got banned, they'd already printed the programme for the following Tuesday. So someone at Millmoor spent their Monday going through all of them and ripping out the page with my notes...
                                    Wait, what? That's a story there.

Comment

Yes, that was my reaction, too.

Comment

Mentioned here.

Comment

Heh! Did any complete copies survive?

Comment

Dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                              What did you write?

Comment

Working...
                                              X