‘Grounds For Divorce’ By Mel Huckridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So there is no racism and sexism in the book but it is reviewed as having some in it although we are told it's a private joke between the reviewer and the writer?

I guess if you want to market it to Daily Star and Talksport fans, it should work quite nicely...

Comment

This sounds ace!!! Where can I get it? A book about footie! I love footie and footie grounds, so this book should be right up my street!!! So wot if it's sexist and racist, that's the real world, the language of the terraces you poncey PC posers, probably drinking prawn cocktails in the corporate lounge and minding your "Ps" and "Qs" so you don't offend the "establishment"! LOL! I guess Finney has found "grounds for divorce" from WSC!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Comment

Is Mel Huckridge the new Trev Meath?

Comment

And does that make finney the new Harvey Sebag-ffiennes?

Comment

I love how he flags up that he loves German football (or 'fussball' as he made sure he called it) and has Union Berlin as his 'second team, if that's allowed', like it's something unusual on here and we're all supposed to be impressed.

Know your audience.

Comment

Time to set the record straight here.

My wife found this thread whilst seeing how my book was being received.
              Finney, posted a link onto here to help me out, and it was well meant if unplanned.
              Too many assumptions have been made, I do not know any of the other posters on here.
              There is no hidden agenda, I've written a book about watching football and am trying to sell it that is all.

Comment

My wife found this thread whilst seeing how my book was being received.
                Further grounds for divorce?

Comment

Stalingrad wrote:
                  Time to set the record straight here.
                  Yes, do please. So, is the book sexist and racist? And if so, why?

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                    Cue post about "cliques", "Brains Trust" and " intellectually stunted metro-left sick puppy"

Look, I would thought it was clear. People don't read books and then decide whether they are worth buying. That would be a waste of money.

If they do not know the author, they read reviews and listen to other opinions and then decide whether to spend money on something.

If you know and like the guy, buy his book but don't whine when others don't get your little in-jokes that you choose to publicise on a forum
                    Why on earth would i Cue post about "cliques", "Brains Trust" ect after you're post?
                    Unless you feel i have no brains and would go to insults because my brain was not up to the job?

You seem to over think in advance of what people might say or what they do not say and insult on that basis.

If we are to generalise and use inference rather than fact then i would then say that you strike me as one of the smartarses that voted for the Lib Dems and ended up giving the country a right wing nut job government.
                    As a protest vote.

Also for the record read what i right i did not review the book i just linked it up for anyone who wanted to maybe look and might fancy a read simple as that.

This is a football website is it not?

Comment

Cos it is not

Comment

Sexist? A touch.
                        Racist? More local areaist.

As to what the chap you incorrectly eavesdropped the conversation at Wealdstone with friends of mine is on about, God only knows.
                        My Oh so trendy reference to German fussball was borne out of an incorrect assumption that I am one of the 'ten German bombers brigade'.

Comment

Sorry imp i would came back to that first post but my sides fell out.
                          And i am off to munch some bricks.

Comment

Stalingrad wrote:
                            As to what the chap you incorrectly eavesdropped the conversation at Wealdstone with friends of mine is on about, God only knows.
                            Ha. I can well believe that I heard incorrectly. I'll have to ask Pool Table next time I see him.

Comment

was borne out of an incorrect assumption that I am one of the 'ten German bombers brigade'.

Maybe fewer people would assume that if your press officer weren't such a wag:

When I say flying visit, he was actually on German terra firma for about 4 hours as he flew in and flew back out as quickly as Bomber Harris’s visit to Dresden back in the 40’s.

Comment

To be fair to the author, he doesn't mention anything about WWII and only seems to be speak positively about Germany.

Also, to be fair, we are mainly talking about the review and the review, tongue-in-cheek or not, does make the book sound shit which is all that what people have pointed out.

Whatever the book is like, finney and, indeed, the reviewer's attacking of some supposed sort of liberal dislike of the lowbrow instantly sets it up as a book for a certain demographic.

I would have thought that finney had been on here long enough to know what would suit the readers of this forum and what wouldn't and not done his made the disservice of posting the review. Unless, of course, he wanted any exposure, good or bad

Comment

To be fair to the author, he doesn't mention anything about WWII and only seems to be speak positively about Germany.

Also, to be fair, we are mainly talking about the review and the review, tongue-in-cheek or not, does make the book sound shit which is all that what people have pointed out.

Whatever the book is like, finney and, indeed, the reviewer's attacking of some supposed sort of liberal dislike of the lowbrow instantly sets it up as a book for a certain demographic.

I would have thought that finney had been on here long enough to know what would suit the readers of this forum and what wouldn't and not done his made the disservice of posting the review. Unless, of course, he wanted any exposure, good or bad
                                  Why would i fail to understand that this site is liberal ?

Shock horror i may even be what is called Left Wing...

Comment

It is not that it is liberal, it is that it mostly appreciates good football writing and, as I say, that review makes it sound shit.

You would have been better off writing a review yourself which wasn't some sort of self-sabotaging in-joke and highlighting the writing of the book

Comment

I wish i did !

Comment

Well feel free to do so then - and maybe make it a review suggesting reasons why we should buy the book rather than one about why we shouldn't.
                                        Because in all honesty the link you pasted does your mate no favours at all.

Comment

Stalingrad wrote:
                                          Sexist? A touch.
                                          Racist? More local areaist.
                                          Oh that's alright then, as long as it's only for a laff! Twat.

Comment

i will do one now

It is a great book about travel and football and unlike Hornby he is a real fan.
                                            And he follows a real club.

I thank you oh and buy it and make you're own mind up!

Comment

Hornby was also a 'real' fan, and also supports a 'real' (cunty) club. What is this preoccupation that QPR fans have with being 'real'? every club apart from MK Dons is real; they all have passionate, dedicated fans - every single one of them - and just because you (one) support(s) a shit team it doesn't make you any more or less 'real' than a regular match goer at one of the Big Four. And Fever Pitch is a brilliant book (written by a despicable gooner scumbag).

It would probably be best, for all of Mel's mates on this thread, to not take criticism in defensive, passive-aggressive fashion. It's not our fault you made your mate's book sound shit. Sorry.

Comment

Again, you do not quite understand what reviews are for. They are to stop us spending money on every single book so that we have to make up our own minds about it.

Basically, authors send books for review and accept the reviews and the reactions to those or they don't bother having the book reviewed.

It's bad enough when people challenge reviews of their stuff. It is even worse when people challenge opinions about reviews of their stuff

Comment

Er Liquidatore wrote:
                                                  Hornby was also a 'real' fan, and also supports a 'real' (cunty) club. What is this preoccupation that QPR fans have with being 'real'? every club apart from MK Dons is real; they all have passionate, dedicated fans - every single one of them - and just because you (one) support(s) a shit team it doesn't make you any more or less 'real' than a regular match goer at one of the Big Four. And Fever Pitch is a brilliant book (written by a despicable gooner scumbag).

It would probably be best, for all of Mel's mates on this thread, to not take criticism in defensive, passive-aggressive fashion. It's not our fault you made your mate's book sound shit. Sorry.
                                                  I read Fever Pitch and thought it was pants and once he said i am not you're average football fan he lost me.
                                                  It was a book about football for people who did not understand the game if you ask which you did not but telling you anyway.
                                                  Like the film notting hill was about notting hill for americans.
                                                  He also followed Arsenal and Cambridge which i found odd.

There are many better football books out there such as the one before fever pitch which was cold season in the cold and a people's passion.

Yes i do think that we are more of a real club than arsenal as since they moved the soul seems to have gone from the ground.

Comment

Again, you do not quite understand what reviews are for. They are to stop us spending money on every single book so that we have to make up our own minds about it.

Basically, authors send books for review and accept the reviews and the reactions to those or they don't bother having the book reviewed.

It's bad enough when people challenge reviews of their stuff. It is even worse when people challenge opinions about reviews of their stuff
                                                    I do i just can't spell and have the grammer of a two year old.
                                                    After god hit me with the Dyslexia stick

Comment

Working...
                                                    X