‘Grounds For Divorce’ By Mel Huckridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finney, to try and make this abundantly clear, you posted a positive review by a friend of the author that celebrated the fact that the book was both racist and sexist. What the fuck are we supposed to expect from it?!

Since then, you and the author have gradually dug yourself a deeper and deeper hole by a series of reactionary passive-aggressive attacks on people who have, quite understandably, decided the book is not for them and wondered why you are still trying to hawk his wares where the audience isn't receptive.

I genuinely wish I hadn't highlighted quite how objectionable the review made the book sound. Partly because this thread is so painful but mainly because I have heard the phrase "bin lid" more times than I could ever care to in my life.

Comment

can you talk down to me in english please that went right over my head.
      Well i am now signing off on this no matter what i say i am getting shot down, and to harry i say this please learn to debate and not insult and come across as a total bin lid

Comment

Surely Erskine has a good point in that we should all buy every book that's ever been published in case it turns out to be worthwhile?

Either that or he's a Clarksonesque bullshitter, I can't quite work out which.
        I didn't actually say that though, did I?

I'm not interested in starting a fight but if you think you're one one of the sanctimonious wankers please attack ( do you see what I did there?)

I do feel a bit sorry for the author who hasn't written the review and who, along with his mate has been at pains to refute any allegations of racism or sexism.

I'll take the bullet for the board but it may have to wait until I've read the treatise on the reasons and fallouts of the Weimar hyper inflation book plus the book on why its coming again book I've just ordered plus another, dry but v scary economics tome I've just ordered from Lassaiz Faire books. Some of you guys might find some stuff of interest on there.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
          finney, to try and make this abundantly clear, you posted a positive review by a friend of the author that celebrated the fact that the book was both racist and sexist. What the fuck are we supposed to expect from it?!

Since then, you and the author have gradually dug yourself a deeper and deeper hole by a series of reactionary passive-aggressive attacks on people who have, quite understandably, decided the book is not for them and wondered why you are still trying to hawk his wares where the audience isn't receptive.

I genuinely wish I hadn't highlighted quite how objectionable the review made the book sound. Partly because this thread is so painful but mainly because I have heard the phrase "bin lid" more times than I could ever care to in my life.
          Also Good luck to Cardiff in the play offs next season all going a tad wrong and hope we go up when we play there justice for the play off final.

Comment

So what have we established in the last two posts? Erskine certainly is a tiresome Clarksonesque bullshitter who thinks saying "But look, I have ordered some clever books!" distracts us all from that fact and finney may be painfully dim and incoherent but his team is getting promoted at the probable expense of mine.

Splendid. Winning arguments all round.

Comment

jesus dim who the heck do you think you are?
              you are one rude soul and yes i do hope we do go up and you fail again as you're fans in the play off final at times were shocking mindless thugs.

Harry the bin lid has a ring to it

Comment

Are we all reading the same thread?

Erskine Bridges wrote:
                No IMP, the writer hasn't really said anything. The reviewer has said certain things that the site has reacted to. I don't think that the writer shouldn't be hung for the reviewers opinion.
                finney wrote:
                He did not say it was racist or sexist and if it was i would not promote it simple as that.
                I do not and would never back such a thing.
                Erskine Bridges wrote:
                I do feel a bit sorry for the author who hasn't written the review and who, along with his mate has been at pains to refute any allegations of racism or sexism.
                However when asked if the book was racist or sexist, Stalingrad AKA the author wrote:
                Sexist? A touch.
                Racist? More local areaist.

Comment

Erskine Bridges wrote:
                  I don't know how carefully you've read the thread, but when directly asked if the book was sexist or racist, the author replied:
                  Sexist? A touch.
                  Racist? More local areaist.

For which Fussbudget had the appropriate response.

In my other post, my reference to the 'writer' was the writer of the review, not the book.

Is being a bin lid an insult? I always find bin lids quite useful for keeping out the raccoons.

Comment

imp wrote:
                    Is being a bin lid an insult? I always find bin lids quite useful for keeping out the raccoons.
                    Sure, but do they do know the offside rule? I think not.

I'm not sure where all the confusion is coming from.

Finney links to a review of the book that states (with pride) that it is racist and sexist.

Posters point out they don't generally like books that are racist and sexist.

Finney suggests you should ignore the review he linked to and buy the book to see if it is really racist and sexist.

Posters point out that reviews are to advise people to buy or not buy a book and not essays to debate over once you've finished reading the tome in question.

Finney suggest the claims of racism and sexism are part of some sort of in-joke.

Posters point out making an in-joke about a book being racist and sexist is probably not that smart in a review being linked outside of people in on this "in joke".

The author then confirms the book is sexist! And, uh, area-ist.

Then something about bin lids? And a baffling tangent about Nick Hornby.

Ok, it's a little confusing once the bin lids get involved.

Comment

If the book is not racist and not sexist then it would seem to me that the author would have wanted to explain the so-called inside joke to help people who don't want to read a racist and sexist football book understand why they should want to read this book. Then he might want to follow that explanation of the inside joke with some details about the book beyond the blurb about globe-trotting to see games and to explain the book in such a way that we can see how it *isn't* racist or sexist.

I appreciate that he joined to the thread to try to explain but I don't really see anything in that explanation that provides a useful alternative to the review. Nor do I see the kind of depth in that explanation that folks here would want to see if they are to ignore the review, which as others have noted, is really the only thing we have available to us as we decide whether or not to buy the book.

Comment

This thread's great. With a couple of exceptions, it's like people trying to talk sense into a drunk guy when he wants to go pick a fight with someone in a locals bar.

Comment

So, should I buy this book then?

Comment

Right my last post on this as this has gone beyond stupid and some on here think they are Albert Einstein on acid and so above me and others and are trying to bully people into being things they are not and they also have the mind set of a arrogant pack of wolves just wanting to hunt people down and show how they have brains and others are just mere football fans or do some of you say footie?

FFS i am left wing would not even link anything that is sexest and racist in my life.
                            Unlike the dim image good old Harry trys to make me out to be i would be more than happy to meet him at a game when cardiff play us again at the bush, and debate how stupid and dim i am.

I have also gone toe to toe with the old NF and BNP and have faught racism all my life.
                            Also i hate sexism with a passion as i seen my dad beat the feck out of my mum week in and out as a child.
                            Hope that clears where i stand on that up.

Harry and IMP carry on some folk on this site make it a very unfriendly place to post.

Comment

Has anyone got a link for where I can buy Nick Hornby's bin lid?

That's a shocking review, mind. I wonder if the reviewer let Mel have a butchers at it before publishing it? I'd be livid if I were Mel (unless it turns out to be accurate).

Comment

Nick Hornby's bin lid:

Comment

I thought bin lid was rhyming slang for kid. This thread would appear to suggest differently.

Comment

Having read finney's review I wouldn't be tempted to buy the book at all. It just doesn't enthuse me. Reading about one bloke watching football never is unless that person happens to be interesting, famous or both (Adrian Chiles might fall into this category). Huckeridge is neither. As for the racist and sexist bit - I took it to be off the cuff remarks and nothing more.

Incidentally, finney, you can get away with sme very right wing stuff. Just take a look at this.

Comment

This thread is like a very slow car crash. Even though it is possibly the worst thread I have seen in "Football" if not the whole of OTF, I can't stop looking at it.

I am now fascinated as to finney's ultimate goal. I can somewhat understand his somewhat misguided reasoning to link the review in the first place but now it is just a question of him coming over all Tony Montana defending himself against imaginary slights that anyone is calling him right-wing, sexist and racist.

Even Mel Huckridge has shuffled backwards out of the door of this thread with a "nothing to see here" look.

Those sexist and racist accusations in full

1. In the review
                                      2. From the auther (the former anyway)

None from anyone else other than referring to the review or the author and certainly none towards finney.

There you go. All cleared up and end of thread surely.

Comment

Comment

This has scuppered my plans to start a WSC Monthly Book Group, I can tell you.

Comment

Bin lid

Comment

STOP READING

Comment

Finney, I did not accuse you of being a Daily Star reader and Talksport listener, I merely said the book, as reviewed, seem to be the right kind of stuff for that demographic.

Otherwise, nowt against you, you seem a decent chap who got caught in a silly argument based on what seems to be a very stupid review of just some daft book about some bloke going to lots of games. Another one...

And "Fever Pitch" didn't do much for me and indeed I think it turned a lot of ponces (back) into football because they suddenly realised you did not have to be a brain-dead moron to attend a game...

Comment

it turned a lot of ponces (back) into football because they suddenly realised you did not have to be a brain-dead moron to attend a game.
                                                  Dear, oh dear!

Comment

Well, there is no firm evidence for or against it, so I might as well indulge myself...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X