No announcement yet.

Oh, is he still playing?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Tuesday, Corinthians made their return to the Libertadores with a group stage match against Always Ready. For a game played at altitude in La Paz, they thought it would be a good idea to select no fewer than seven players over the age of 33 in their starting line-up.

These included:

Willian (ex-Chelsea, Arsenal)
    Jô (ex-Man City, Everton)
    Paulinho (ex-Spurs)

You will not be surprised to hear that they lost 2-0.

Comment

"If you have our corner flag and post could you please return it to the club for our remaining events,” read the Taunton Town tweet, finally a statement befitting a corner flag photo. The Peacocks required their precious flag and post back after winning the Southern League Premier Division to guarantee promotion to the National League South, the highest level the club have competed at in their 75-year history. An incredible 2,303 turned up at the Cygnet Health Care Stadium to watch Taunton beat their promotion rivals Farnborough to seal the title, and one member of the crowd has been rewarded with a signed corner flag after returning it.

Within their squad was the 50-year-old coach Michael Meaker, a midfielder who represented Queens Park Rangers in the Premier League, making his debut as a 19-year-old against Manchester City way back in 1990. Meaker appeared 13 times for the Peacocks this season but has decided the step up to the National League South would be too much for his ageing body. “I’ve been lucky to have enjoyed such a long career when I’ve played in all divisions of the Football League, apart from League Two, and have been involved in winning league titles, playoffs and various Sausage Cups*,” Meaker told the club’s website after hanging up his boots.

*Sausage Cup is a nickname for the Southern League Challenge Cup.

Comment

Joe Murphy signs on for another season at Rovers to ensure I’m not yet older than the whole squad.

All the signs are that 6 months younger Peter Clarke will also be here next year, having played every league minute for over 2 seasons he might extend this remarkable record further, though of course Harold Bell has nothing to worry about yet.

Comment

Clarke signs for Walsall on a one year deal, reading between the lines he’d been told he wouldn’t start every week next season at Rovers.

Comment

Bryan Ruiz comes on for Costa Rica in the World Cup play-off.

Comment

Former Wales international Ryan Green (2 caps under Bobby Gould) and former youngest ever Welsh international has signed on for another season at Hellenic League Westfields at Step 5. He's 41.

Comment

A thread favourite soldiers on ;

https://twitter.com/blanskoklobasa/status/1538480357024141312?s=21&t=7rsumz5tMLBvcpZgT1nN5g

Comment

I liked Milan a hell of a lot, especially when I bet him at 50/1 to finish as the tournament’s top scorer.

I always felt Liverpool missed a trick not playing a big forward alongside him like the Czechs did.

Comment

Former Bradford City striker (amongst others) James Hanson played for Worksop Town in the second half against Barnsley's under 23 team. He didn't run much, but won every single header.

Comment

He's a weird one. Only 34 but already been playing non-league for a year after apparently choosing to turn down multiple league clubs as he wanted to go part time.

Comment

I'm sure he's featured somewhere earlier on this thread but Roque Santa Cruz (40) has just scored for Libertad against Athletico Paranaense in the last 16 of the Libertadores.

Comment

James Hanson chose Farsley Celtic at the start of last season, apparently because driving is fucking up his back so he needed somewhere local.
                          He disappeared off to Boston mid season and then to Worksop in the summer so i guess he's moved down there for some reason

Comment

The only footballer where both his names are bands btw (at least that I can think or)

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiocahead View Post
                              The only footballer where both his names are bands btw (at least that I can think or)
                              Roy Keane.

Had to google Roy but they are an early 2000s US indie folk rock band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_(band)
                              Last edited by Jon; 09-07-2022, 09:53.

Comment

Originally posted by mirko bolesan View Post
                                Former Wales international Ryan Green (2 caps under Bobby Gould) and former youngest ever Welsh international has signed on for another season at Hellenic League Westfields at Step 5. He's 41.
                                This has made me feel old'

Comment

Remi Moses

REMI - Australian hip hop duo
                                  MOSES - British Indie group

Hadn't heard of them, but both on Youtube and both coincidentally stylised in all caps. And no, I haven't spent half the evening trying to find a player with group names. More like two thirds.

Comment

Panama international Blas Perez is unretiring to play indoors for the Dallas Sidekicks.

Comment

If Joe Gomez was known as an Ugly Kid then he would count as well.

(There is a James Gomez who plays for Gambia but we've already used James.)

Comment

Thread stalwart Nathan Tyson (40) has signed for Grantham Town.

Nathan are a Canadian alt country band, while Tyson is also a recording artist (and daughter of Neneh Cherry). Half a point for a solo artist, but upgraded to a full point as it's a live OIHSP player.

Comment

La Gazzetta expects Cesc Fabregas to sign with Como and Mario Balotelli to go to Sion

Mesut Özil and Fenerbahce have parted ways and he has joined Istanbul Başakşehir

Comment

Of course he was going to bloody sign for Erdogan's team, wasn't he? Seemed it was either that or Twitch.

Comment

Barry Hayles has rejoined Windsor on the coaching staff. He hasn't ruled out donning the famous green and red kit in the upcoming season. He is almost 50.

Comment

Peter Clarke who is 40 came on for Walsall in a friendly vs my team Coventry.

I remember seeing him on loan for us at Highfield Road in what was then called 'The First Division'.

Furthermore he first played for Everton in the 2000/2001 season.

I wonder how many players are playing before the league changed names to The Championship, League One etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Boneless View Post
                                                  I wonder how many players are playing before the league changed names to The Championship, League One etc?
                                                  James Milner for one (debut 2002*, 'The Championship' rebrand came in in 2004).

* Also before his current team-mate Harvey Elliott was born. I don't know if there's ever been a thread on biggest age differences between team-mates or anything along those lines?

Comment

Fabio Quagliarella has just signed up for another year with Sampdoria, he'll turn 40 during the season.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X