No announcement yet.

Current Watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fourth one isn’t good, but not for the reason a lot of people think it’s bad.

The last one is better, but could have been a lot shorter.

The whole season, except for Joan is Awful is very, very dark.

Comment

I was going to start Joan is Awful but I’m not sure I will still be awake by the end.

Every time someone posts the title it seems like they’re saying the episode is awful.

I finished Killing It tonight. I hope there will be a second season.

Comment

I finally watched Cocaine Bear last night. It’s utter schlock, completely silly, very B-Movie. And gory. But all the gore is funny. The whole thing is funny. It’s way more entertaining than I could possibly have expected. About as low-brow as you can get, but hugely entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
          I mean, it's Black Mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post

I mean, it's Black Mirror.
            They aren’t all so dark. San Junipero isn’t dark. Nosedive was anxiety-inducing but had a somewhat happy resolution.

A bit like The Twilight Zone in that regard.

Comment

San Junipero was notable for how unusual it was in the BM canon (so notable I actually bought a t-shirt). Not sure I'd agree about Nosedive.

Comment

God I hated San Junipero. I wish I could go back in time and make it unhappen so that people would stop banging on about it. And then kill baby Hitler

The fourth one isn’t good
                You weren't kidding about that, what a slog of an episode. Deeply unengaging story, characters and themes

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                  San Junipero was notable for how unusual it was in the BM canon (so notable I actually bought a t-shirt). Not sure I'd agree about Nosedive.
                  I liked the end of Nosedive. She realizes it’s all bullshit. If nothing else, at least the audience gets some
                  catharsis.

Comment

New series of Van Der Valk has just started. My brother's mate is looking more like an exaggerated of our father than ever...

Comment

Joan Is Awful was very good.

Comment

Two films watched over the weekend, neither of which either of us had seen before: Cocktail and Airport '77. Neither was very good, though we both slightly preferred Airport '77 because, well, it wasn't Cocktail. We thought we knew what to expect going for an early-career Tom Cruise film but my word, we thought it would at least be entertainingly shlocky. It's stunningly boring.

Comment

I liked the end of Nosedive. She realizes it’s all bullshit. If nothing else, at least the audience gets some
                          catharsis.
                          I liked it. Nosedive is one of my all time favourite episodes. I just wouldn't call it happy.

Comment

Really liked that final episode though I'm not sure what Black Mirror is at this point as there's not even a pretence of being about technology anymore. The two episodes set in the UK are basically extended Inside No. 9 episodes.

Minor quibble but it bugs me when something is set in the past and all the songs playing are from that exact year, I know it's meant to set the scene but it rings as untrue as if everybody was wearing the latest cutting-edge fashion from 1979 or driving cars built in 1979 (which some shows are guilty of as well but Black Mirror isn't so I wish they wouldn't do it with the music)

I was astonished to find out a couple of weeks ago that Boney M have had no sizeable hits in the US and are not famous there at all. Genuinely didn't think there could be a single person on the planet who hadn't heard of them until I met one

Funny you should say that as I was thinking that the difference between the early series and a lot of the more recent episodes is that if Demon 79 had been released in the Channel 4 days it would have ended...

spoiler: Show
                            ...when the sirens started sounding, without the bit with the demon coming back and the not-quite-so-bad ending (because yes oblivion but at least they're together and she's got one over all those shitty people who were mean to her as they'll all die in a nuclear holocaust.) That would have been a bleaker ending, and more effective for it

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                              Really liked that final episode though I'm not sure what Black Mirror is at this point as there's not even a pretence of being about technology anymore. The two episodes set in the UK are basically extended Inside No. 9 episodes.

Minor quibble but it bugs me when something is set in the past and all the songs playing are from that exact year, I know it's meant to set the scene but it rings as untrue as if everybody was wearing the latest cutting-edge fashion from 1979 or driving cars built in 1979 (which some shows are guilty of as well but Black Mirror isn't so I wish they wouldn't do it with the music)

I was astonished to find out a couple of weeks ago that Boney M have had no sizeable hits in the US and are not famous there at all. Genuinely didn't think there could be a single person on the planet who hadn't heard of them until I met one

Funny you should say that as I was thinking that the difference between the early series and a lot of the more recent episodes is that if Demon 79 had been released in the Channel 4 days it would have ended...

spoiler: Show
                              ...when the sirens started sounding, without the bit with the demon coming back and the not-quite-so-bad ending (because yes oblivion but at least they're together and she's got one over all those shitty people who were mean to her as they'll all die in a nuclear holocaust.) That would have been a bleaker ending, and more effective for it
                              I’d never heard of Boney M before.

In that one, it makes sense for all the songs to be current because, apparently, her only access to pop music is on TOTP and the radio.

Comment

Beyond the Sea was good and had the feel of a good Twilight Zone episode or a Ray Bradbury short story. Parts were very hard to watch, but the ending was classic for that genre. Best one of this series so far (I think I have two left, one of which I assume from what others have said will not be receiving any stars from me).

Comment

Finally got round to watching True Detective series 3, which is excellent. I may re-watch series 2, as it got a bit of a panning at the time. I should watch Treme too if I keep this Now TV subscription going.

Comment

In that one, it makes sense for all the songs to be current because, apparently, her only access to pop music is on TOTP and the radio.
                                    Yeah but the stuff in the pub and I think on the mixtape were as well. To be fair I only mentioned it because the previous episode did exactly the same so watching them in succession triggered my harumphometer

Comment

Good news for fans of Red Dwarf, that every episode is now available on iPlayer. I personally gave up after series VI.

https://twitter.com/CCfunkandsoul/status/1671093695662243840

Comment

I think they had been free on UKTV play anyway.

Comment

As this thread has become a bastion of pay-telly, I'd just like to point out that I saw a bit of Demon 79. It was being filmed outside my home office window. I'll see no more.

Comment

It was filmed in Harrow‽​ Or you've moved back up north? The whole episode is set in Yorkshire

Comment

Harrow. I remember seeing a strange bus, I'm a bit odd like that, and they redid the back of Debenhams to pretend that it was a different store.

Comment

Oh wow, I went back to look at the exterior shots of the department store and now you've pointed it out the houses on the other side of the street don't look northern in the slightest. They did a good enough job that I didn't notice it at all when I was watching it though. The bus looks like a Leyland Fleetline with Ensignbus livery which is also not northern

Comment

Just casually dropping deep bus knowledge like nobody's business.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                                    The bus looks like a Leyland Fleetline with Ensignbus livery which is also not northern
                                                    Er, wow, that's a level of bus obsession that I can barely process...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X