X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite awful films

Snake Plissken wrote:
    Originally posted by Crusoe
    I loved "A Life Less Ordinary". I know most hate it, but I think it's a fantastic film.
    I really liked it.

Until the last five minutes, which ruined it.
    Which bit? The happy ending, or the Oasis-soundtracked claymation bit? Didn't mind the former, didn't like the latter at all.

Comment

Favourite awful films

More love for Dan Hedaya from me. I have liked pretty much all of the films I have seen him in. And, you know, 76 and that.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Crusoe wrote: Which bit? The happy ending, or the Oasis-soundtracked claymation bit? Didn't mind the former, didn't like the latter at all.
        The magic bullet.

I was too annoyed to really bother from that point on.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Ah, gotcha.

Comment

Favourite awful films

There's probably a thread in that. The moment decent films make you switch off by going "that's a load of complete horseshit".

But I can only think of The Matrix - the "we need humans for power" bit. In that case, use a cow, it is probably more efficient and is a lot less likely to do the rebelling against its creator thing.

Comment

Favourite awful films

The Village.

The Happening.

I hear Lady in the Water(?) isn't too hot either.

Comment

Favourite awful films

There's a theme there somewhere LS, I just can't quite put my finger on it...

Comment

Favourite awful films

I was almost getting into The Village. But if you guess the twist early there is literally nothing there. Wackos in the forest off the turnpike. Plants aren't man's best friend.

Watching the Sixth Sense for the second time recently, in between hating the main child actor to worryingly murderous levels, I couldn't believe I didn't twig the twist the first time round till like two minutes before the reveal- which still seemed to deflate the experience even then. M Night Shallowman, eh?! Geddit??!!?

Comment

Favourite awful films

Oh the extended Twilight Zone episode he did fairly recently with Cameron Diaz and your man from Frost/Nixon (not Michael Sheen) as Mr Sinister Burny Face. Who has a proposal, and a box. A modern classic. The shitwinds. Shitaragua. A Shitnami.

Fuck it, every twisty film that prosaic weirdo makes, pretty much is an extended Twilight Zone episode.

I forgot Signs. But then this is the favourite awful filums thread.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Yeah. While I quite liked Unbreakable at the time, Shyamalan's bad films (almost all of them) are just bad. They're not fun bad.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Signs. The one where the aliens who are killed by water attempt to invade a planet that is 80% covered in water.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Thanks to a reminder from the World section, I would like to nominate a little movie called "Stepping Out".

For those of you who haven't seen it, which I assume is everyone, it's a semi-musical starring Liza Minnelli, Shelley Winters, and Julie Walters, about a dance school teacher/bar chanteuse who fights against the odds for her little school, and has a husband who is a total twat.

It's fucking rubbish, but I like the dance numbers with the novice adult students. The acting is fairly rank all round (Liza tries hard, and bats her lashes aiming for emotion) and the individual stories about the students are fairly predictable. "A Chorus Line" this is not.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Today's entry: Dreamcatcher. I didn't think any Steven King movie could top Maximum Overdrive for silliness, but Dreamcatcher gives it a run for its money. It's not really a fair fight, given that Dreamcatcher is really at least three dumb Steven King stories mashed together - a parasitic outbreak movie, an alien invasion movie, and a kids with psychic powers movie. None of which make any sense on their own, and even less together. That said, it's really quite impressive that they managed to make such a bad film with such a good cast.

Comment

Favourite awful films

About a decade back, the US site avclub ran a series entitled My Year of Flops, where the writer would sit through classics from Cobra to Heaven's Gate to see if the flop sweat stink around the movie was justified. It was overwritten try hard for funnies in the main, but the Dreamcatcher entry was far far better than the (already unintentionally hilarious) film.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Ginger Yellow wrote: Today's entry: Dreamcatcher. I didn't think any Steven King movie could top Maximum Overdrive for silliness, but Dreamcatcher gives it a run for its money. It's not really a fair fight, given that Dreamcatcher is really at least three dumb Steven King stories mashed together - a parasitic outbreak movie, an alien invasion movie, and a kids with psychic powers movie. None of which make any sense on their own, and even less together. That said, it's really quite impressive that they managed to make such a bad film with such a good cast.
                                I vaguely recall this. Damian Lewis? Someone gorily dead on a toilet? And possibly Morgan Freeman, although I may be confusing his role in Outbreak?

Comment

Favourite awful films

Yup. And Tom Sizemore and Timothy Olyphant and, um, Donnie Wahlberg.

Believe it or not, it was directed by Lawrence Kasdan and written by William Goldman. It's just mindboggling that all this talent and money was thrown at what was so obviously an idiotic concept. And in the noughties.

The article Lang Spoon mentions is fun. As is the HDTGM.

Comment

Favourite awful films

There's a Beau Bridges made for Telly weepie 'based on a true story' fillum whose name I can't be arsed googling. Saw it on Hallmark almost twenty years back when they were one of the few channels in Spain to also broadcast their channel soundtrack in English.

The wife dies, they lose the house, they become more and more precariously in poverty as poor Beau becomes more and more fucked trying to keep their head above water, I think one of his cute rapscallion brood even offs himself in a Jude the Obscure "for we are meny" moment. No happy ending I can recall, just another family on the street, trying to scrape a few dollars together. Awful in every sense of the word.

You'd need a heart of stone not to laugh as they piled on misery after misery.

Reading that back over sounds awful and heartless , but seriously, things are so melodramatically awful in the downward "Dickensian Aspect" spiral you end up laughing and cringing at the same time.

Comment

Favourite awful films

I think we may be 8 pages into this thread without mention of Air Force One. The climax with the President of the USA involved in a fist fight hanging out the door of an in-flight 747 is gloriously preposterous. There's only, what, an 80% chance of that happening during this presidency?

As mentioned up thread Armageddon is a ludicrous, unwatachable, unmissable car crash. It gets extra points for featuring the wonderfully awful overwrought Aerosmith power ballad "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing", which gets super extra double creepy points as the female object of the song in the movie is the real life daughter of the singer.

Comment

Favourite awful films

A quick IMDB search seems to point to "hidden in America " looking through his resume Beau made a hell of a lot of TV movies in the 90s

Comment

Favourite awful films

seand wrote: I think we may be 8 pages into this thread without mention of Air Force One. The climax with the President of the USA involved in a fist fight hanging out the door of an in-flight 747 is gloriously preposterous. There's only, what, an 80% chance of that happening during this presidency?
                                          Nah! 45's hands aren't big enough to grip the handle if he's hanging out of the door. He'll just go flying into thin air.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Probably too knowing to be on this list, but megaflop The Other Guys is a personal guilty pleasure. Michael Keaton and the TLC rhymes, I'm on the floor. Can watch that film again and again.

Comment

Favourite awful films

No-one mentioned Independence Day yet?

Although I may be in a minority of 1, I really like it.

Comment

Favourite awful films

'The Other Guys is on TV now, and judging by the programme information, it started at 5:25, and runs to 10:30. Either it's a really long movie, or there are untold commercials involved.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Lang Spoon wrote: Probably too knowing to be on this list, but megaflop The Other Guys is a personal guilty pleasure. Michael Keaton and the TLC rhymes, I'm on the floor. Can watch that film again and again.
                                                  The Other Guys is a fantastic comedy. Not sure why it flopped theaters, but I'm sure they made it up with TV, DVD, etc. There are a lot of great comedies that didn't get traction in theaters but went on to be classics - Office Space, for example.

Comment

Favourite awful films

Gerontophile wrote: 'The Other Guys is on TV now, and judging by the programme information, it started at 5:25, and runs to 10:30. Either it's a really long movie, or there are untold commercials involved.
                                                    They might be running it twice back to back. That happens sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X