Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank Christ we've got rid of another one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craig Ferguson was a regular cast member on The Drew Carey Show for a long time, so the (or at least a) US audience was familiar with him beforehand. This guy? No.

Comment

See, I couldn't have even told you he was in Drew Carey, and I probably watched a dozen or so episodes.

For whatever reason, Carey seems like an interesting guy.

Comment

didn't corden win a tony?

Comment

As it so happens, he did.

In a play that ran here for a couple of months without me even realizing it that it was on.

It is difficult to under-estimate the current importance of the Tonys on the US cultural landscape.

Comment

Craig Ferguson was a regular cast member on The Drew Carey Show for a long time, so the (or at least a) US audience was familiar with him beforehand. This guy? No.
            Similarly, Oliver was a long time correspondent on the Daily Show, hosted it for an entire summer, and also guest starred on Community. It's not like HBO picked his show up on the back of The Bugle.

Comment

Taylor's take on James Corden

Comment

I think his overbearing chumminess and eagerness to please will go down well with an American audience, who perhaps have a higher threshold for when someone is trying too hard.

As for being funny, I'm sure there's a team of hotshot writers, who ensure "spontaneous" hilarity in these situations.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: As it so happens, he did.

In a play that ran here for a couple of months without me even realizing it that it was on.

It is difficult to under-estimate the current importance of the Tonys on the US cultural landscape.
                  well he's in the history boys so the gay community will know who he is

Comment

WOM wrote: Popular? I don't think 'we' have ever heard of him before now. But I'd never heard of Ferguson before his Late Late gig either.
                    I remember Ferguson as Bing Hitler on the London cabaret circuit in the late 80s. Like a Scottish Kevin Turvey. Early Bing Hitler

Saw him drinking in the Old Ship (Hackney) before one of his gigs at the Empire. Was tempted to have a word but thougt better of it. Maybe best as he was very mixed up in those days according to his bio...

Comment

Ferguson often matter-of-factly refers to his past alcoholism and rehab.

From Taylor's description, the new guy sounds like another Jay Leno. I'd much rather see a Taylor host the show.

Comment

The US obviously doesn't have enough home grown "top bantz".

Comment

Surely the Graham Norton model for talk shows is the only way to go = high-end celebrities, all sitting together, pissed (as Berba says).

Norton is brilliant host: he lets them chat, ribs them when necessary and lets them show off. Having them all together means they are being judged by their peers, so try to impress each other.

Did I mentioned they get pissed? Even Robert De niro laughed. Well, squinted, but that's a relative he-he-roll-around-the-floor in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

I find that to be too much frivolity for that hour.

Comment

The idea of Stephen Colbert saying "and stick around for James Corden" is bizarre.

The whole thing has an air of unreality about it. From Corden saying he'll be carrying on with his Sky TV panel show as well (What? Why? When??) to the fact that he's never stuck with any project for more than a couple of months, yet he's now doing an open-ended five day a week gig? Corden's clearly not taking it seriously, so why are CBS doing it?

Comment

his sky panel show can be filmed in less than a week. I don't know if it's that big a deal.

Comment

I think it's mad that he's going to spend one of the rare weeks off from a seven day a week job to do a panel show that relatively no-one watches. It seems suggestive of a general lack of comprehension of what he is taking on.

More importantly, Corden has few of the skills to make a show like this and has never shown the humility to learn those kind of things. It seems an all but guaranteed train wreck.

Comment

Yes, exactly. Perhaps they've mistaken him for somebody else - although quite whom, I have no idea.

Corden is a pure 'mates down the pub'-level chatterbox - no more, no less. Simply not the stuff of US television.

Comment

James has considerable experience of performing comedy in front of a live studio audience.

Have fun, America.

Comment

the other thing is that he clearly was, and still is the kind of teenager who makes jokes and tries to entertain, and is crazy and mad to divert attention from the fact that he's a bit fat. That gets really wearing after a while.

Comment

I also suspect that he makes a fuckmountain of money out of that pretty shit panel show. any time I've watched a bit of it, that cricketer has been carrying the whole thing.

Comment

Working...
                                          X