Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank Christ we've got rid of another one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James Corden is to become the new host of The Late Late Show.

It seems a weird choice to me - I can't imagine his persona having a lot of appeal in the US (compared to other candidates). But then maybe Ferguson has cultivated and will bequeath a more Anglophile audience than other shows.

Comment

Bollocks, I thought for a moment that this guy was getting the chop.

Comment

I hope America doesn't consider this an act of aggression.

Comment

I hope America doesn't consider this an act of aggression.
          I think James Corden's more 7-11 than 9/11.

But I don't get this booking at all. Craig Ferguson and John Oliver win this kind of gig because they're experienced stand-ups, decent raconteurs and clued-up on current issues to the extent that they can give good rant (and back it up). Who in the US (or anywhere) has seen Corden do anything like this? He's proved himself a reasonable scriptwriter, but his profile has been low-level ent for some good while now. (And, yes, very 'UK'.)

So - don't know about an 'act of aggression', but I suspect this one will crash and burn...

Comment

There's something about him that gives me the shits. That Patrick Stewart thing was weird.

Too much git going round for my liking.

A git.

Comment

Nobody had seen (and most had not heard) of Conan O'Brien before he came on. So we'll see.

I really like Craig Ferguson's show. I'm bummed that he's leaving.

I don't know anything about this new guy, but if we have to have another British comic, I wish it could be Eddie Izzard or Dylan Moran

Comment

erm.

Comment

"British Isles comic" then.

Comment

no, I don't think that will do either. ou'd be as well off calling it the mainland

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: erm.
                      Snide.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: "British Isles comic" then.
                        I thought Dylan Moran was Welsh. No?

Comment

Berbaslug, you are exhibiting Gardnerian tendencies here; you may want to get that checked.

In any case, yes, Dylan Moran is Irish. I was only trying to preserve Reed's original phrase with the minimum possible adjustment.

Comment

Oh, I think I got that idea in my head because his name is Dylan. Now that you say it, he does sound Irish, but the way people move around you can't always trust an accent as a marker of where somebody is originally from.

Comment

Oh, I think I got that idea in my head because his name is Dylan. Now that you say it, he does sound Irish, but the way people move around you can't always trust an accent as a marker of where somebody is originally from.
                              Maybe not (though, really, come on), but he does talk a fair bit about Ireland and Irishness (and London Irishness) in his standup, eg his "Irish hair" bit.

Comment

I've never been a huge fan of Dylan Moran, but I must say he is very amusing in the movie Calvary. In fact, he is probably the best thing about it.

Comment

Rambles Off Topic wrote: " there's a moment where one of the cast makes some remark about how difficult acting can be sometimes and he boorishly responds with "Ohhhhh wouldn't it be wonderful to work in a sewer instead, eh?"
                                  I'm on his side on that.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                    Maybe not (though, really, come on), but he does talk a fair bit about Ireland and Irishness (and London Irishness) in his standup, eg his "Irish hair" bit.
                                    I'd either forgotten that, never seen that bit, or read that to mean that his parents or grandparents were from Ireland. People in the US call themselves "Irish" even if they've never been to Ireland.

Comment

I love Dylan Moran.

I'm very surprised James Corden is popular in the US. He's an OK actor (Gavin and Stacey, and Telstar) but his "persona" doesn't seem all that likeable.

Comment

Popular? I don't think 'we' have ever heard of him before now. But I'd never heard of Ferguson before his Late Late gig either.

Comment

Yeah, Corden is basically unknown over here.

But Ferguson was reasonably successful, and John Oliver is now wildly so, so transatlantic transplants will be hot until one bombs.

Comment

Comment

Seen as a different market, methinks.

Comment

Indeed. But broadly fits into the 'Who thought that was a good idea?' category that I enjoy so much.

Comment

Almost certainly a group of people who were as familiar with Morgan's oeuvre as the ones who chose Corden are with his.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X