The United States of Hollywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how Pink Flamingos beats out Diner for Maryland (Baltimore, really). I haven't seen the former, but I imagine more people have seen Diner. Of course, all of that is eclipsed by Homicide and The Wire.

Baltimore often portrays Washington or other cities in films, but not many are set there and I can't think of any movies set in any other parts of Maryland except the occasional appearance of the Naval Academy here and there.

Comment

Actually, it was shot in a number of places in South Dakota (including Badlands National Park), so this may be more of a question of generational differences (added to the fact that I haven't seen Dances with Wolves).

Reed, wasn't The Blair Witch Project filmed in Maryland? Not that it was particularly Marylandesque. The only other one that comes immediately to mind is The Trial of the Catonsville Nine.

I agree with you about Diner.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: *pedantry*

Brooklyn and Queens are each on Long Island.

*end pedantry*
        Geographically yes, but not in regular parlance, as you know.

Comment

"I can't think of any movies set in any other parts of Maryland except the occasional appearance of the Naval Academy here and there."

I've seen the University of Maryland Campus in College Park used in films a few times, most notably in St Elmo's Fire.

Coming back to Delaware, I've been trying to think of films set there, as the choice of Waynes World is just plain wrong. Anyone come up with any? The closest I've got is Dead Poets Society - set in Vermont but filmed at St Andrews School in Middletown, Delaware. St Andrews School was the alma mater of Loudon Wainwright III (first line on his first album - 'in Delaware, when I was younger....'), and his Dad too, the Life magazine journalist.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Actually, it was shot in a number of places in South Dakota (including Badlands National Park), so this may be more of a question of generational differences (added to the fact that I haven't seen Dances with Wolves).

Reed, wasn't The Blair Witch Project filmed in Maryland? Not that it was particularly Marylandesque. The only other one that comes immediately to mind is The Trial of the Catonsville Nine.

I agree with you about Diner.
            Yes, good point about Blair Witch, but I haven't seen it. I never heard of The Trial of the Catonsville Nine. Catonsville is almost Baltimore. It's in Baltimore County.

Comment

It's about the trial of the Berrigan Brothers and other antiwar protesters. Very much of my era. For some reason, I thought it was further away from Baltimore than it is.

There must be at least one movie about the Eastern Shore, but I can't think of any.

Comment

Catonsville is the home of UMBC (Retrievers), the alma mater of Kathleen Turner and the Ace of Cakes guy.

Comment

Cal Alamein wrote: That is why my criteria for a great 'state' film has to be that the majority of the film is shot in that state.
                  On that basis Night of the Living Dead would be a great Pennsylvania film. Maybe the greatest as it was all filmed in and around Pittsburgh.

Comment

Excellent Call for NOTLD!

American Movie is a great call for the Badger State, but Stroszek is an amazing WI film as well.

I'm now grumbling that either About Schmidt or Nebraska should replace Children of the Corn.

Comment

Election is another great Nebraska movie.
                      Nebraska covers several states, including South Dakota.

Comment

I'd say the heart of Nebraska took place in Nebraska.

Couldn't remember if Election was in Nebraska as the novel was probably set back east.

Any other Alexander Payne films we can nominate for the cornhusker state?

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Wizard of Oz, which is Kansas — well... duh!
                          Rubbish. As Dorothy says "we're not in Kansas anymore Toto"...

Comment

It should be The Searchers for Texas, but sadly none of it was shot there.The Last Picture Show it is then.

Comment

Last Picture Show is excellent. I'll throw in Bottle Rocket as another great Texas movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X