The United States of Hollywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A map of the USA with each state depicting the movie for which it is associated with.

(click on map for full image)

A good idea but it seems that very little effort is put in to finding the best and most appropriate film. I'm sure we can all do much better.
    For example Missouri has been set with Jesus Camp, which has also been placed with North Dakota, when a masterpiece such as The Outlaw Josey Wales is set in Missouri.
    Any other better suggestions?

Tao of Steve? Forget that one.

They're both in black & white, but they are still quality today.
    Salt of the Earth
    Lonely are the Brave

NM is often used for "road" movies and significant chunks of Easy Rider, Two-Lane Blacktop, and many others were shot in the state.

Re: Oklahoma - yeah, Twister seems to be the box-office winner and appropriate to that state. But a far better film is Coppola's adaptations of S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders and Rumble Fish. Almost all of it was shot in and around Tulsa.

Comment

California is sufficiently large that i really want two, to cover both ends -- Vertigo and Repo Man, say.

Speaking as someone who tends to hate moviezations of beloved books, i'd pick something else for Nevada. Ocean's Eleven, or maybe Diamonds Are Forever.

There are a ton of better films for Hawai'i, many featuring Elvis, but none spring immediately to mind.

Comment

The Descendants

Comment

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot is a way cooler film than A River Runs Through It.

Comment

Yes, the Descendants sprang immediately to mind for me too, ostensibly because I only saw it the other day, but I really can't think of any films that are set in Hawaii, discounting the aforementioned Elvis and Pearl Harbour films.

"NM is often used for "road" movies and significant chunks of Easy Rider, Two-Lane Blacktop, and many others were shot in the state."

Thelma and Louise too.

Delaware is a curious one because, as far as I remember, it only gets a mention in Waynes World as a 'nothing significant has ever happened in Delaware' joke.

Maine - The Shawshank Redemption. Hmm. Yes, Ok, but, as the majority of it takes place within a prison, I'd go for On Golden Pond or The Cider House Rules as a better representation. (Although, On Golden Pond loses points for it being filmed mostly in another of the New England states, can't recall which one though.)

Talking of New England, I just saw Labor Day yesterday, which is set in New Hampshire in the year 1987. To a New Anglophile like me, it was wonderful. Best of all, there was a scene in a Pricemart where the kid goes off to browse the comics in the spinner racks. Proper 1987 comics they were too.

I counted 4 Coen brothers films. It would be interesting to see where all their films were set, to see if they ever go back to a state where they've filmed before.

Comment

The Big Lebowski would be a decent entry for California. And the city of Fargo is actually in N.Dakota. (Yes, i'm exactly the sort of person who would feel the need to point that out.)

Comment

alyxandr wrote: The Big Lebowski would be a decent entry for California. And the city of Fargo is actually in N.Dakota. (Yes, i'm exactly the sort of person who would feel the need to point that out.)
                Except most of the plot happens in and around Brainerd.

(And yes, I'm exactly the sort of person that feels the need to point that out, too!)

Comment

alyxandr wrote: The Big Lebowski would be a decent entry for California. And the city of Fargo is actually in N.Dakota. (Yes, i'm exactly the sort of person who would feel the need to point that out.)
                  Fargo is in ND, but almost all of that movie is in Minnesota. Just the first scene is in Fargo. The Coen Brothers just thought that Fargo sounded better than Brainerd or Minneapolis as a title. It's definitely the movie most associated with Minnesota and colors what many people think Minnesota is like. (It's a lot more accurate than a lot of people think. Especially in the north, people really do talk like that.)

Groundhog Day is a great film, but a disappointing choice given that it wasn't filmed in Pennsylvania, but in Illinois, and there's nothing especially Pennsylvanian about it. The Deer Hunter should be the pick there. The first part of the film really shows the small town blue collar life. All the Right Moves, the Tom Cruise vehicle about high school football, shows a similar milieu in a fictitious Western PA town of Ampipe.

As discussed before, no films that I can think of do the accents right.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qeY0mIn1K0

Comment

Is the point of the map to highlight associations, rather than filming locations?

Which means "Groundhog Day" is indeed Pennsylvania - even though "The Deer Hunter" may well be a better choice for that state.

Comment

Great map, but obviously it's an utter crime to have Jesus Camp up once, never mind twice.

I'd have to put Sling Blade instead of True Grit. I would've hoped that Little Big Man would've ended up somewhere.

Comment

Little Big Man would be another better choice for Montana.

The Coen Brothers have made a lot of films, and have revisited states, most often California:

Blood Simple - Texas
                        Raising Arizona - Arizona
                        Miller's CrossingL - Louisiana
                        Barton Fink - California
                        Hudsucker Proxy - Illinois
                        Fargo - Minnesota
                        Big Lebowski - California
                        O Brother Where Art Thou - Mississippi
                        Man Who Wasn't There - California
                        Intolerable Cruelty - California
                        Ladykillers - Unidentified Southern state
                        No Country for Old Men - Texas
                        Burn After Reading - Washington DC
                        A Serious Man - Minnesota
                        True Grit - Texas/New Mexico
                        Inside Llewyn Davis - New York

Comment

Guy Potger wrote: Is the point of the map to highlight associations, rather than filming locations?

Which means "Groundhog Day" is indeed Pennsylvania - even though "The Deer Hunter" may well be a better choice for that state.
                          I think that has to be the case. After all a great many films are shot in a big warehouse in LA no matter where they are set, and all Vietnam films would be Thailand films.

Comment

Of all the great Westerns set in Texas they choose No Country For Old Men? Is the author 21?

Comment

Probably closer to 35, but with the notable exception of The Wizard of Oz, there is a striking recency bias thoughout the list.

Comment

Jon wrote:
                                Maine - The Shawshank Redemption. Hmm. Yes, Ok, but, as the majority of it takes place within a prison, I'd go for On Golden Pond or The Cider House Rules as a better representation. (Although, On Golden Pond loses points for it being filmed mostly in another of the New England states, can't recall which one though.)
                                I was about to nominate The Cider House Rules for Vermont (I don't even know what Super Troopers is), as it was nearly all filmed just up the road from where I worked. Though there were scenes when Tobey Maguire and Charlize Theron cycled down the hill past us and straight to the Maine Coast, a trip which would have taken a fair while longer than the on-screen version did.

Comment

Guy Potger wrote: Is the point of the map to highlight associations, rather than filming locations?

That's not my point. It's not just that it wasn't shot in Pennsylvania, but that there's nothing really Pennsyvlanian about it. Even the eponymous groundhog and the associated holiday plays a very minor role in the film. It could have been about a guy repeatedly reliving any day in any small town. It doesn't even really look like Punxsutawney and nobody talks like they're from Punxsutawney.

It suggests that the producers think that fly-over country is all the same. Or that they don't really care, which is fine because that's not what the movie was about at all. Besides, many people in the middle of the country think the big cities are all the same, which is why, for example, few people notice that the characters in Rocky, from Philadelphia, talk like they're from Brooklyn.

Comment

Dances with Wolves my fucking ass. South Dakota has to be North by Northwest. No argument.

Whoever did this obviously hasn't seen anything that predates the 70s. The only movie that's earlier is the Wizard of Oz, which is Kansas — well... duh!

Comment

My recollection is that North By Northwest is mostly on a train.

Comment

Wha..?

Mount Rushmore... Cary Grant being chased by a crop-sprayer?

Comment

The crop-duster scene was actually filmed outside of Bakersfield, and my recollection is that the story could have placed it either in Illinois or Iowa (as it is on the way from Chicago to Mount Rushmore), but Amor is of course right.

Comment

That is why my criteria for a great 'state' film has to be that the majority of the film is shot in that state.

Comment

[quote]Reed John wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Guy Potger
                                              Besides, many people in the middle of the country think the big cities are all the same, which is why, for example, few people notice that the characters in Rocky, from Philadelphia, talk like they're from Brooklyn.
                                              I guess that's because Stallone, Talia Shire and Burt Young are from Brooklyn, Long Island and Queens respectively.

Comment

*pedantry*

Brooklyn and Queens are each on Long Island.

*end pedantry*

Comment

The memorable scenes are the crop-duster and Mount Rushmore, but when think of South Dakota's landscapes and history, Dances with Wolves is a better representation. Then again, it was probably shot in Canada.

However, NBNW would be high on a list of "films featuring National Parks or monuments."

Comment

Working...
                                                  X