Blue
    The Omen
    Meet Me In St Louis
    Stalker
    Let The Right One In
    Tangerine
    Pierrot Le Fou
    Long Weekend

Tangerine is the recent addition here, only saw it a few weeks ago. At no point did I wonder how long was left, possibly the greatest compliment it is possible to give a film.

Comment

The Big Lebowski
      Fargo
      In Bruges
      One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest
      Midnight Cowboy
      Catch-22
      Intouchables
      As It Is In Heaven
      The Godfather
      Dog Day Afternoon

Comment

Tokyo Story
        Lawrence Of Arabia
        Sansho The Bailiff
        The Thing
        The Seventh Seal
        The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
        This Is Spinal Tap
        Sátántangó
        Mullholland Dr.
        The Headless Woman

It'd change another day, but that's in the right ballpark.

Comment

Is it ten films? Okay.

Alien
          Jaws
          ET
          War Horse
          The Great Escape
          Toy Story 3
          Ice Cold in Alex
          The Sting
          Leon the Professional
          The Muppets' Christmas Carol

I'm really trying to muscle The Shawshank Redemption in there but I genuinely can't, can I make it 9 1/2 along with The Muppets' Christmas Carol, which is genuinely one of the greatest things ever made?
          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 04-12-2022, 14:25.

Comment

Casablanca
            Double Indemnity
            The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
            North by Northwest
            For a Few Dollars More
            The Godfather Part II
            Taxi Driver
            An Officer and a Gentleman
            This Is Spinal Tap
            The Belly of an Architect

Comment

Slacker
              Leolo
              Dude, Where's My Car?
              Uncut Gems
              Your Name
              Harold and Maude
              Super
              Pee Wee's Big Adventure
              The Greasy Strangler
              GRUNT! The Wrestling Movie

Comment

1) Mulholland Drive
                2) Ugetsu
                3) Seven Samurai
                4) Rashomon
                5) Godfather
                6) The Return
                7) Dolemite
                8) Road Warrior
                9) 2001
                10) Rams

Comment

I have absolutely no idea how I'd even begin to write a top 10 of films. There are films that I adore because I watched them repeatedly as a young teenager when I only had access to home videos: Grease, Dirty Dancing, Big Business, The Sound of Music, Ruthless People, Sister Act 1&2, but none of them are particularly good. There are films I loved from when I actually watched fairly good quality cinema in my twenties, Hotel Rwanda, Dirty Pretty Things, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Amelie, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Little Miss Sunshine, but it's not like I watch them repeatedly. Old school films that I like, Some Like It Hot, Breakfast at Tiffany's, My Fair Lady, A Big Hand for the Little Lady (pretty much the only Western that I like). There are comedies I love, The Big Lebowski, Guardians of the Galaxy, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Trading Places (though some of the comedy in the last two has aged badly), The Addams Family and The Addams Family Values. There are cartoons that I love, Up, My Neighbour Totoro, Monsters inc.

Amelie is probably one of my favourite ever films. And I doubt that there will ever be a greater love story than the first ten minutes of Up.

I could watch the Addams Family films on loop. Wednesday is my idol.

But a top ten list? Of films that I actually think are "good"? No idea how to compile that.
                  Last edited by Balderdasha; 04-12-2022, 13:43.

Comment

A whole load of other favourite films that I've forgotten.

A Fish Called Wanda, The Fifth Element, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Private Lives of Pippa Lee.

Again, very few of my favourite films are objectively "good". I'm not really cut out for "good" cinema. Too serious, too boring.

I don't think I've really got the hang of this thread.
                    Last edited by Balderdasha; 04-12-2022, 13:55.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with putting Adams Family Values in your all time top ten. It's as valid a choice as any other.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                        A whole load of other favourite films that I've forgotten.

A Fish Called Wanda, The Fifth Element, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, The Private Lives of Pippa Lee.

Again, very few of my favourite films are objectively "good". I'm not really cut out for "good" cinema. Too serious, too boring.

I don't think I've really got the hang of this thread.

TBH, if you really enjoy a film, even if it's not one that's been praised by critics for the cinematography, dialogue, acting, plot or whatever, then it's probably a good film, especially if lots of other people like it too. It could just be the humour, or the warmth of the performance or because it's just a rollickingly good adventure film with lots of action. Those are all valid criteria, AFAIC.

I just chose my 10 favourite films or a rough approximation thereof. I could have probably selected another 10 that I love that score more highly with the critics but considered that was slightly playing their game.

Comment

It's an interesting question - Nefertiti called the thread "greatest films". I was torn between Lebowski and Fargo. In my mind Fargo is the better film. But Lebowski is the film I love more, and the one I've watched more often. I've decided that's the split I'm going to use in my choices, my guess is that everyone else has different definitions and ways of coming up with their list.

Comment

I can't really do top ten lists either. Obviously Rebel Without a Cause is the best film. But other than that, I'd have a list of none or a hundred, in no order.

Comment

That goes for most things, really. I don't really get lists.

Comment

Having said that, I'm not really down with the idea that any and every choice has exactly equal validity.

Comment

I went for '10 films you would want if you could only have 10 films' sort of thing. That's a lot of different criteria jumbled up, but what all bar one have in common is that they've demonstrated to me that I can watch them multiple times and find fascinating new aspects I hadn't focused on. There are a few others that could probably equally have got on. Some are critical favs, I'm pretty sure at least one definitely wasn't but I just adore its solemn hokeyness.

Comment

In no particular order, and likely to be edited on numerous occasions:

Blazing Saddles
                                    Gladiator
                                    Monty Python's Life of Brian
                                    Unforgiven
                                    Muppets Christmas Carol
                                    Austin Powers in Goldmember
                                    Unbreakable
                                    Goodfellas
                                    In Bruges
                                    Terminator 2
                                    Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 05-12-2022, 06:32.

Comment

Ok, after much thought, 10 films that I personally enjoy, and that I also think are well made.

Pulp Fiction
                                      Gregory's Girl
                                      La Haine
                                      The Adventures of Robin Hood
                                      Murder by Decree
                                      Back to the Future *
                                      Lord of the Rings *
                                      The Searchers
                                      Witness
                                      Fargo

* yes I know they're trilogies, but I'm not separating either of them.

Comment

This is not easy. Looking forward to seeing the final list.

Mine:

The Wicker Man (1973)
                                        There Will Be Blood
                                        Four Lions
                                        Apocalypse Now
                                        Belleville Rendez-vous
                                        Citizen Kane
                                        Magnolia
                                        Full Metal Jacket
                                        24 Hour Party People
                                        Alien

Comment

This Is Spinal Tap
                                          The Empire Strikes Back
                                          Airplane!
                                          Die Hard
                                          Monty Python And The Holy Grail
                                          Akira
                                          Rocky
                                          The Princess Bride
                                          Terminator 2: Judgment Day
                                          Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                            It's an interesting question - Nefertiti called the thread "greatest films". I was torn between Lebowski and Fargo. In my mind Fargo is the better film. But Lebowski is the film I love more, and the one I've watched more often. I've decided that's the split I'm going to use in my choices, my guess is that everyone else has different definitions and ways of coming up with their list.
                                            One of my most important criteria was how often a film is with me, how often I find myself thinking about it, or am reminded of it, even by something apparently unrelated. There are a couple on my list that I've only seen once, but the experience of watching them was so powerful I almost feel I don't need to see them again. Two or three others I've seen multiple times and they always offer something different.

But you only need to read two or three other posters' lists, or comments on the Sights and Sounds thread to find examples of others that could easily have made your own list.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post

One of my most important criteria was how often a film is with me, how often I find myself thinking about it, or am reminded of it, even by something apparently unrelated. There are a couple on my list that I've only seen once, but the experience of watching them was so powerful I almost feel I don't need to see them again. Two or three others I've seen multiple times and they always offer something different.

But you only need to read two or three other posters' lists, or comments on the Sights and Sounds thread to find examples of others that could easily have made your own list.
                                              I totally agree with this. One of the greatest films, if it even is a film, I've seen was Shoah, an 8 hour documentary on the Holocaust, but to put it on a list of films I love and want to watch again and again just feels wrong. So my list is of films I would choose to watch to escape and enjoy, like a favourite Album or TV Series.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
                                                All that for sure. Also one of the most powerful value for me is the first impression. For example I saw Bonnie and Clyde within the first few days it opened. I was with a couple of friends in Leicester Square. We'd a couple of hours to kill, I'd seen Arthur Penn's previous film and liked it so we took a chance. Afterwards we walked back to Kings Cross without saying a word. It was that powerful.

I've seen it several times since and it's never been as strong, though there are certain scenes and performances that will resonate forever. Age, circumstance, mood, company,what the Greeks collectively called Kairos are significant factors on personal judgement.

Comment

Shoah falls into the venn diagram overlap of ‘films I consider great’, ‘films I will never forget’ and ‘films I never want to see again’

It’s a problematic film too, but an undeniable one

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                                    Shoah falls into the venn diagram overlap of ‘films I consider great’, ‘films I will never forget’ and ‘films I never want to see again’

It’s a problematic film too, but an undeniable one
                                                    Absolutely agree.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X