No announcement yet.

Deceased quiz show hosts for 80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first shows I watched were Tic-Tac-Dough, Joker's Wild and that one with "NO WHAMMIES, NO WHAMMIES!!!" I forget what that was called. The Price is Right was popular in college because it was on the only channel our hall TV got and it was on right as everyone was coming back from morning classes.

Comment

Comment

Exactly. I think it was rebooted with CGI whammies at some point.

Comment

That's the one where the contestant gamed the system, because he figured out the sequence that gave him maximum returns:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Larson

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
            That's the one where the contestant gamed the system, because he figured out the sequence that gave him maximum returns:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Larson
            Yikes, seems like he pressed his luck a bit too much:

Larson used his cash winnings for taxes and real estate investments. As a result, Larson lost all of his winnings within two years of the show's taping and moved to Florida, where he later died of throat cancer at the age of 49.

Comment

....and.....

In November 1984, Larson learned about a local radio show promotion promising a $30,000 prize for matching a $1 bill's serial number with a random number read out on the air. Over several days, he withdrew his remaining winnings in $1 bills, examined each dollar, and (upon discovering that he did not have the winning number) re-deposited roughly half of the money. Larson left about $50,000 in his house, which was stolen in a burglary while he was attending a Christmas party.

Comment

I remember watching Password (which was also briefly a daytime game show over here), Match Game (aka Blankety Blank in the UK) and one called Eye Guess from the early seventies.

Can't imagine anyone else would remember the latter.

Comment

Not me for one.

Comment

Eye Guess exists on Wikipedia - who describe it as having ended in 1969, which means I’d have been super-young when I saw it. (Obviously it never made it to the UK.)

Des O’Connor briefly presented Countdown, so his passing yesterday means that he qualifies for the header here...

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      Des O’Connor briefly presented Countdown, so his passing yesterday means that he qualifies for the header here...
                      He presented another quiz show, so in terms of how he qualifies for this thread, you can take your pick.

Comment

I was just reminded of this by a friend who also employed the gag in the same way!

Rich pickings today, methinks.

Comment

So, the original American inspiration for University Challenge is being revived after 50 years, but will be hosted by Peyton Manning - hmm.

Comment

For 4 points, I've met two dead quiz show hosts (that I can think of) done sulphate with the daughter of another, and had drinks with the grand-daughter of yet another.

Comment

Hughie Green? I'm guessing none of the right answers is Michael Miles.

Comment

Yes, he's one. One point for you. I have never knowingly met anyone with a connection to Michael Miles.

Comment

Michael Miles is another of those people (like Harold Wilson) who looked far older than his years in the 1960s. He was in his early 40s presenting Take Your Pick.

Comment

Karen, Des O'Connor's daughter, is in the middle here.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                      Michael Miles is another of those people (like Harold Wilson) who looked far older than his years in the 1960s. He was in his early 40s presenting Take Your Pick.
                                      Yeah. He was an odd-looking duck, and had disconcerting snuffle when he talked. Definitely would never have got to introduce a prime-time TV show these days. MM and "Alec with the gong" were a strange couple indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                      X