Deceased quiz show hosts for 80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deceased quiz show hosts for 80

Alex Trebek, host of Jeopardy! has asked his last.

What is aw shit

Comment

That sucks. I kinda hope he’s not replaced.

Comment

Damn. He gave it the good fight. RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoPFkjF-Bdo

Comment

I think hoe was a perfectly cromulent answer.

Comment

https://twitter.com/thatericalper/status/1325492190546628608

Comment

UK viewers might just recognize the opening music.

Comment

Bummer.
                I used to work with a guy who was on Jeopardy, who we'd tease mercilessly once we found out his Final Jeopardy question and answer (it was of the "if you don't actually know the answer writing something...anything...down is better than nothing" sort).

Comment

"Who are 3 people who've never been in my kitchen?"

Comment

"I'll take Air Shuttle Disasters for $40."

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                      "Who are 3 people who've never been in my kitchen?"
                      It was a correct answer, really.

Until today, I was unaware there'd been versions of Jeopardy! before Trebek started doing it. I also didn't know it started in 1984. I really had no idea. You could have told me any year between 1975 and 1990 and I would have believed it. I don't recall being aware of it until the late 80s, but people talked about it like it had just always been there.

Comment

With Art Fleming on NBC

The 1984 version is a reboot of the original

Comment

My peak gameshow watching period was roughly 1977-1983, so I missed it.

Comment

This has me very sad, especially knowing that he didn't record a farewell message. He wanted to keep on working, and didn't have any sense that he was going to be finished before he recorded what turned out to be his final episodes.

I'm sad that I never got to meet him--I've auditioned three times to be on the show. This most recent time was in early March. I had taken the test not that much before then, and got an invite to audition much more quickly than I did the prior two times. In the audition, they mentioned that they would be calling people the following week, as they were clearly scrambling to continue filming, but people from other parts of the country were not able or were unwilling to travel out to LA while the pandemic was breaking out. I think they stopped filming the following week, but ever since new episodes have started, you see that almost all of the contestants are from Southern California. Still, I haven't been called in. I don't know if I didn't do well on the written test in the audition or if they didn't like my look or personality. I wouldn't have thought this for Jeopardy as much as other shows, but they want people to be really peppy and smiling while auditioning (you certainly see people on the show that are wet blankets). Not sure if I want to keep trying to get on if there isn't much hope.

Comment

I’m so sorry. I suspect it may be kinda arbitrary. Can they tell you why you didn’t make the cut yet?

Comment

No, they don't give feedback at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

With Art Fleming on NBC

The 1984 version is a reboot of the original
                                  Four-letter words? That's a bit racy for daytime.

My brainless US game-show-watching period was roughly the same time as HP's (starting a shade before) - the favourite of mine and my sister's was probably Let's Make a Deal with Monty Hall, which seemed to rip the p*ss out of the whole genre.

Comment

And gave rise to a "paradox" much loved by probability enthusiasts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      And gave rise to a "paradox" much loved by probability enthusiasts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem
                                      It became famous as a question from a reader's letter quoted in Marilyn vos Savant's "Ask Marilyn" column in Parade magazine in 1990....After the problem appeared in Parade, approximately 10,000 readers, including nearly 1,000 with PhDs, wrote to the magazine, most of them claiming vos Savant was wrong.

That may prompt a few double-takes amongst UK and Irish posters.

Comment

Just read that - and I really wish I had a better head for probability.

For example, I understand that the odds of drawing any six random lottery numbers are exactly the same as they'd be for drawing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. But surely in the latter scenario these numbers are also consecutive (and, in this case, the first-possible six in order) so therefore you're adding a far greater contingency to the original condition of 'any six numbers' - which must have an effect on the overall odds? (I reckon I'm approaching this problem from the wrong angle, but be gentle - it took me two goes to pass maths 'o' level.)

Anyway, I digress.

Comment

Amusingly though, in the first week of the national lottery, over 10,000 people picked 1,2,3,4,5,6 as their numbers, almost certainly smugly pointing out to their friends that they had exactly the same chance of winning as any other combination of numbers. Unfortunately, however, if those numbers had come in, each person would have won only ?100 each, around the same amount as the average 4-number winners got back in those days.

Comment

Yeah, that happened on a New York daily lottery that was held on 9/11, 2002.

5,631 people bought 911 as their number and it won. They each went home with $500.

Comment

Monty Hall....also Canadian.

Comment

What were the odds?

Comment

Of him being Canadian?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X