Great cheesy one-liners in film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kathleen Turner's prostitute in Crimes of Passion when she is dressed as an Airline Stewardess - she says to her client "We've run out of Pan-Am coffee but we have got plenty of TWA tea"

Comment

One of the worst puns ever got big cheers in South African cinenas in 1988 or 1989. In Lethal Wapon 2, the bad guys are apartheid regime henchmen. All of them get wiped out singlehandedly by Mel Gibson (oh, yeah, er, ***SPOILER ALERT***), who gets a bullet for his troubles. Just as we expect Mel to die in the arms of Danny Glover, the man who's too old for this shit asks the anti-Semite what has happened to the bad guys.

Gibson's recovery is signalled, to our relief, with the quip: "They've all been dekaffirnated."

Comment

Nicholas Cage gives voice to one the greatest questions of our age.

Comment

'Always bet on black!' (Wesley Snipes in Passenger 57).

(Several of these, particularly the Carry On examples, are gags as opposed to 'cheesy one-liners'...)

Comment

"Let's make a baby!" (Keanu Reeves in The Devil's Advocate)

(Several of these, particularly the Carry On examples, are gags as opposed to 'cheesy one-liners'...)

Yes, of course the Carry On ones are. I suppose it depends where your dividing line is between "cheesy" and "corny" (or, in my case, on whether you get the definition of "cheesy" wrong).

Comment

The Exploding Vole wrote:
              "Frankly, my dear, I don't give Edam."
              I don't want to let this go by unapplauded.

Comment

Don't you mean you don't want to let this gouda by unapplauded?

What?

Comment

That's not very mature.

Comment

EV ... you know that G.Man has a terrible temper, don't you? You should tread very cheese made in Wales.

Comment

"Let that man, Che, go." The Motorcycle Diaries.

OK, I made that up.

Comment

Why at Last! wrote:
                        "Let that man, Che, go." The Motorcycle Diaries.

OK, I made that up.
                        But applause, anyway.

Comment

It would appear my love for Roger Moore is unappreciated. I suppose you lot like wig head woman beater Connery, or wooden Lazenby, or humdrum Dalton, or always seemed slightly drunk to me Brosnan (the man allowed Madonna on the same screen as him - MADONNA!) or Bourne lite Craig.

Moore had the best gadgets, the silliest plots, the daftest quips and the best villains (OK, I'll give you You Only Live Twice, that was brilliant).

Comment

Yes, of course the Carry On ones are. I suppose it depends where your dividing line is between "cheesy" and "corny" (or, in my case, on whether you get the definition of "cheesy" wrong).
                            Naff, contrived or highly-stylised, I'd suggest. Or corny in the 'hackneyed' sense, as opposed to 'cheaply funny'. (Which isn't a criticism of the Carry Ons, since that's why they existed and why folk love 'em.)

And, yes, the 'edam' post was quality.

Comment

'Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me' as delivered by Kenneth Williams isn't cheesy at all though. It's genius innit.

Comment

Eggchaser wrote:
                                It would appear my love for Roger Moore is unappreciated. I suppose you lot like wig head woman beater Connery, or wooden Lazenby, or humdrum Dalton, or always seemed slightly drunk to me Brosnan (the man allowed Madonna on the same screen as him - MADONNA!) or Bourne lite Craig.

Moore had the best gadgets, the silliest plots, the daftest quips and the best villains (OK, I'll give you You Only Live Twice, that was brilliant).
                                Connery was great as Bond though. 'Goldfinger' probably just edges 'From Russia With Love' for me though. 'You Only Live Twice' has the best theme tune.

Don't be dissing the Dalton, by the way. He wasn't great as Bond admittedly but still could you imagine Roger Moore doing this:

"Freeze, You Bloody Bastards"

Comment

Perhaps bryaniesta can be prevailed upon to change the thread title to "Grate cheese one-liners..."

Comment

Having grateness thrust upon him.

Comment

In The Frighteners, Michael J fox plays a man who can see ghosts and uses the gift to defraud widows. A judge is one of his ghost-friends.

"C'mon Frank. Death ain't no way to make a living."

(Fun film.)

Comment

Working...
                                      X