the wingco on the today programme tomorrow morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

. . . discussing my book Fear Of Music: Why People Get Rothko But Don't Get Stockhausen.

Unless I get bumped, of course.

I'll be on about 8.50, going head to head in discussion with Prokofiev's grandson Gabriel, of all people.

Wish me luck . . .

I'm afraid I've never heard of Rothko. Will I learn something?

Comment

Have you ever put lines of colour samples on a wall when you are working out what shade to emulsion your front room?

That's Rothko.

Good luck, wingco, I'll be listening.

Comment

I had a mate once who took this to the extreme with his carpet. His girlfriend had been nagging him to carpet the front room (over the bare floorboards they'd been living with for months), so he went out and either begged (or more likely stole) several of those sample books of three foot square samples of carpet you find in the warehouses, brought them home, and simply stuck them all down, in a kind of rainbow pattern across the whole room. A quilt-work carpet, if you like.

It actually looked really good, but his better half was absolutely fucking livid.

Comment

I have a fear of bad music.

Good luck, wingco. Wish I could watch. Maybe someone will stick it up on YouTube or something.

(or is a radio programme?)

Comment

Radio 4, yes indeedy. Good luck, Wingco.

Comment

Nice one. I'll be listening to that while being characteristically late for work.

Comment

Thanks. It's 8 20 now . . .

Comment

Excellent. You're getting near 'drive time'.

Comment

This'll probably be uploaded onto t'net in case any of you blighters sleep in.

Comment

So when does this book of yours come out?

Comment

It's out now.

Comment

Oooh, so it is. Excellent. I shall try to purchase a copy over the weekend.

Comment

I'll buy a copy to stick on the old bookshelf with Imp's and Simon's books.

Comment

FF - my intention too. I haven't been disappointed yet. This book sounds right up my street.

And I'll be "listening in" - I believe that still do that to R4, and in inverted commas, too - and rooting for you, wingco.

Comment

"It's 8 20 now . . ."

Result! I always listen in the car till about 8.30 which is when I get to work so that time works for me. You'll be straight after the main interview at 8.10 then - which is bound to be to about swine flu. That really is primetime, wingco - you've arrived! What about a shout out for Jon driving down the Amblecote High Street?

The very best of luck.

Comment

Good lad.

I was on Radio Nottingham the other week, stating the opinion that people from Nottingham who don't use the Nottingham accent are 'scum', and that they should rip down the local castle because it's 'rammell' and replace it with a plastic reconstruction of Castle Grayskull. I am so out of your league.

Comment

Is everyone here being extremely traditionally English or something?

WINGCO IS GOING ON THE TODAY PROGRAMME TO TALK ABOUT HIS OWN BOOK THAT HE HIMSELF WROTE.

If that doesn't deserve a "fucking hell!", I don't know what does.

Comment

I assume that Mr Wingco would interpret that as a good luck.

Comment

He's on now!

Comment

Well that was quick.

Comment

I dunno, people on here, rushing out to buy imp's and SR's and wingco's book, just because they're interesting and well written. When is the OTF collective going to start going out and buying either of my books. Just because they're on a subject that no-one here is interested in, and probably deadly boring, is no excuse.

Comment

That was exciting. The best bit was

Edward Stourton: "So, I ask you again, wingco how do you answer your own question [the subtitle of the book]?]

Wingco [interrupting testily]: "Look, it's because..."

Perhaps they should have asked wingco to contribute to the Afghanistan debate, too.

Comment

Ad hoc, certainly next time I face conflict in a language teaching organisation, I'll be straight down to my local library.

Comment

Libraries. Scum they are, giving away my intellectual property for nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X