I saw a buzzard! OTF ornithologists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, it's probably nowhere near as big a deal as I at first thought -and any ornithologist types here will probably confirm that - but...

I was out for a ride yesterday afternoon and I was heading up the B3046 from Alresford to Basingstoke - I think I'd just passed through Preston Candover - when I noticed a couple of birds circling above the road. As I immediately suspected, they were waiting to get at some reasonaly fresh - and really quite large - roadkill (which I narrowly avoided). One was just a crow, I think, but the other was the familiar 'hawk' shape (I'm used to seeing kestrels all the time) only much, MUCH bigger! In fact, as I passed directly underneath it, I managed to glance up and I'd estimate its wingspan as just over 4 feet!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stop really, as some twat was driving right on my tail. However, I did also notice that its colouring was mostly dark brown, but with very distinct 'panels' of orange and white feathers forming what looked like concentric oblongs on the trailing edges of its wings - almost like an aircraft with white 'airelons', framed with orange and brown around the edges of the under-wings.

Now, I've looked it up on google images, and the (British-native) buzzards on there don't seem to have exactly the same patterns on their under-wings - the white panels seem to go almost the entire length of their wings, whereas these just seemed like oblongs in the middle section.

So... can any OTF ornithologist-types tell me if what I saw was some kind of standard buzzard for Britain, or perhaps something a little different? At first, when I saw it, I inwardly joked about it being a vulture or an eagle, but was amazed by its size as I drew nearer to it. It was the largest bird I've seen in this country, short of a heron (of which I see quite alot on the local ponds and lakes and in the air between them).

Apologies to those for whom this seems quite banal - I expect such sightings are everyday in parts of the North, Scotland and Wales.

Red kite perhaps?

Comment

Ooooh! That's a close match in terms of colours However, I thought the white bit stretched from the, errr... 'armpit' to about 2/3 of the way out, was surrounded by the orange and then the dark on the leading edge and wingtips. The wings also seemed 'broader', particularly at the tips.

I'm leaning toward the idea that it's actually just a common buzzard and I've either misremembered some of the detail or that it's part-way through a seasonal plumage change, if that happens.

Comment

Buzzards do exhibit quite a range of colours, and have both dark phases and pale phases, with variation between these extremes - so it's certainly possible it was a buzzard that you saw.

Did you notice the shape of the tail? That's a dead giveaway in red kites, as they have a very distinctive fork shape (which is often a good bit more pronounced than that in Theo's picture). If it's tail was rounded/fan-shaped then it was almost certainly a buzzard.

I don't actually think you get red kites around the Basingstoke area, now that I think about it - although I'm not at all familiar with the local landscape so I don't know how plausible it is that one could have ended up there. They are absolutely all over the place in rural Oxfordshire - my aunt and uncle live there and when I visit it's not at all uncommon to see several in the sky at once - even as many as nine or ten.

I'm fairly certain they haven't reached Hampshire, however, so a buzzard is probably the most likely candidate.

Comment

The red kites are extending their area in that direction. I saw several when I lived neear Newbury four years or so ago.

Comment

Hofzinser wrote:
            Did you notice the shape of the tail? That's a dead giveaway in red kites, as they have a very distinctive fork shape (which is often a good bit more pronounced than that in Theo's picture). If it's tail was rounded/fan-shaped then it was almost certainly a buzzard.
            I'm pretty certain the tail was fan-shaped, so I guess it was indeed a buzzard.

I was a little bit into birds as a kid, but not alot. Thus, I'm totally out of touch with what is supposed to be where.

I also saw a Goldfinch in my garden, last week:

It actually seemed even more colourful than that, though. Lovely to see, it was.

However, the article I nicked that image from, which was published a year ago, indicates their numbers are actually on the rise ...which is nice!

Comment

At the risk of straying into Humph and Samantha territory, I was very excited by a pair of long-tailed tits in my garden this weekend. Never seen them before.

I went down to Wisley on Saturday afternoon, and spent a happy five minutes watching a goldfinch guzzling away at the bird feeder. Lovely.

Comment

And again not rare but pleasantly surprising: a few lapwings in Slough this morning.

Comment

Andy C wrote:
                  At the risk of straying into Humph and Samantha territory.
                  Not at all, not at all. It's always exciting to see tits around one's fat pecker.

We have farmland behind the house and regularly see buzzards and kestrels, and the occasional visit from a sparrowhawk, which sometimes perches on the fence.

Comment

Andy C wrote:
                    the risk of straying into Humph and Samantha territory
                    You mean "Tits like coconuts! But sparrows prefer breadcrumbs."?

At the moment we have a song thrush who wakes me up most mornings with some of the most delightful noise I've ever heard. You can almost hear it laughing with delight at the creativity of its warbling.

Comment

I know nothing about such things, but it's rare to go a motorway journey to Devon (from Wolverhampton) without my dad exclaiming "boozard!! booozard!!" (the mispronunciation is a terrible in-joke about a Swedish man my dad met on a train once who greeted every single bird with an ecstatic cry of 'booozard! booozard!'). So I imagine they're fairly common.

Comment

West of London, red kites are getting very numerous (as they have been for a few years now) but if they had fan-shaped tails, then they're buzzards.

From my many trips up and down the east coast main line this season, it's safe to say buzzards are now on the increase, especially from the heyday of my birdwatching days back in the 70s, when they were quite a rare sight for me.

Goldfinches and great tits are definitely on the increase too - not seeing many lapwings this year though which is a shame...

Comment

When this thread 'took off' (no pun intended) I had a small pang of nostalgia and gladness that I possessed the Observers Book Of Birds when I was a kid.

Most of all, though, I simply like to see a bit of wildlife just 'doing its thing', as many of the small creatures I used to see around seem to be on the decline. (Deer, rabbits, etc.)

Comment

We had either a sparrowhawk or a peregrine falcon in our garden in January, I took a picture of it too. We get foxes all the time, hedgehogs and had a deer in the park across the road last year, apparently a herd of the them live wild in a large cemetery on the other side of the city. I live in urban Glasgow, a corner kick away from a large shipyard.

I'm expecting David Attenbourgh to visit any day now.

Comment

Assuming that you're right to say it was one of those two, then it was almost certainly a sparrowhawk.

Comment

Working...
                              X