square mirrors, round dots, why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know how a mirrorball is made up of square tiles, right? How come the dots of light it throws around the room are circular?

Because the lamp shining on it is round?

Comment

Well, the lamp in this case being the sun, but OK.

However, if I put my rectangular make-up mirror in the sun, and angle it so it throws a reflection on a nearby wall, the reflection is a quadrilateral.

So, presumably, there's a certain distance (between reflective surface and the final 'screen' surface) at which quadrilateral reflections flip into circular ones. Right?

Comment

You know, I haven't really thought this through, have I?

Comment

I'm reluctant to join in, as I suspect the correct answer is probably bastard complicated and involves interference, quantum theory and allsorts.

Comment

I've realised I've inadvertently revealed loads about my lifestyle in this simple physics question, with details such as 'mirrorball' and 'make-up mirror'...

Comment

Dunno about 'revealed' - I suspect your lifestyle is not half as glamorous as you've just made it sound...

Comment

I read about the Mpemba effect yesterday, "named for the Tanzanian high-school student Erasto B. Mpemba. Mpemba first encountered the phenomenon in 1963 in Form 3 of Magamba Secondary School"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect

And that Aristotle, Francis Bacon and René Descartes have all claimed that hot water does freeze more quickly than cold water.

Nothing will surprise me anymore.

Comment

This is a good one. I don't know the answer, but my guess is it's the same as the reason why the dapples in sunlight under a tree are circular: that is, the mirrors are small enough, compared to the distance to the wall, to act like a camera aperture.

Each point on the light source is associated with a square reflection, but when you put together all the points you get loads of square relections smeared over a disc shape. If the disc is small compared to the mirror, the reflection will still look square-ish, though perhaps with rounded corners. But if the disc is large compared to the mirror, the mirror's shape is lost and what you see is just a disc.

Try drawing a circular smudge using the coarse pen setting in Paint, and you might get a feel for what I mean.

Comment

Do you remember that partial eclipse we had last year? I happened to be sitting next to the window and saw rows of little crescent-shaped suns shining on the desk through the holes in the blinds that the cords go through.

If you tried that with a mirror ball it would blow your mind, I reckon.

Comment

Working...
                    X