Chinese people don’t eat kebab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are loads of them, Chinese. Both in China, I’ve heard, but also abroad. I bet whichever country you randomly would pick, there are people of Chinese origin to be found. I bet there’s even one in the Vatican.

They say that there are around 5 million Croats living in Croatia, but as many living in diasporas around the world. I wonder how many Chinese there are if you count the ones in their diasporas as well.

I wonder what the history behind them being so many is. Growing up, we were taught that the first human originated from some skeleton in deepest Africa. Lucy I think her name was. I’m not sure anymore as I’m towards becoming nowt but a skeleton myself and the brain cells handling memory are slowly dying. But with China being as populated as it is, it would be more logical to think that the first man was Chinese, not African, or?

How come I’ve never seen a Chinese person eat kebab?
    How come I’ve never seen one in an Italian restaurant, or a Greek, or Hungarian, Bosnian, Lebanese or Kurdish? How come I’ve never seen a Chinese lad feast on a pizza? And I eat out a lot. Don’t they like our food.

(and no, I am not being overly serious with this post. I am being somewhat serious with the questions and observations, but am being deliberately naïve in writing style)

I think it's safe to say the Chinese were first. After all, they seem to have invented everything else about a thousand years before Europe did (except how to properly organise its army to fight off hordes of round-eyed barbarians come to pinch strategically important ports and dominate the officially-sanctioned drug trade).

Comment

Another observation....

With a vast majority of the world’s population living in Asia, one would think that most wars, the most long-lived ones, most brutal, you name it, would be where the most number of people live, yet I have this spontaneous thought of Asia being way “behind” as far as contributing to the history of war and destruction goes.
      Is it down to Buddhism being that one world religion which few can say get all worked up about as far as contributions to evil goes?
      Or is it simply I having been through a European centred history schooling?

Comment

I wonder what the history behind them being so many is.
        It's a fucking huge country. I mean, really, really fucking huge. And it began the processes of settled agriculture and then urbanism long before most other civilisations. And then it underwent rapid industrialisation at a time when medical practices around the world have drastically increased longevity and cut infant mortality. It's not particularly surprising that there should be lots of them.

If you want a more considered answer, try Guns, Germs and Steel.

Comment

I’ve never seen a Chinese lad feast on a pizza?
          I have.

Comment

The_Liquidator wrote:
            I’ve never seen a Chinese lad feast on a pizza?
            I have.
            I bet he was adopted

Comment

Lucy I think her name was. I’m not sure anymore as I’m towards becoming nowt but a skeleton myself and the brain cells handling memory are slowly dying. But with China being as populated as it is, it would be more logical to think that the first man was Chinese, not African, or?
              Why?

Comment

I went out with a Chinese girl for a while in 2005, and one night we went to an Italian place for a bite to eat, and while my memory is hazy I am fairly sure we both had pizza.

About half the Poles have left here to go back to the old country, but most of the Chinese seem to have stayed put. Throw a stick down the street and you'll hit three of them.

Comment

ganja wrote:
                  .... I have this spontaneous thought of Asia being way “behind” as far as contributing to the history of war and destruction goes.
                  Genghis and Kubilai Khan, Pol Pot, Mao Tse Tung etc, etc, might suggest you're not exactly spot on, here.

Comment

Well, if by "logical" he means "contrary to all genetic, archaeological and paleontological evidence", then he's right.

Comment

Yeah, but Kubilai Khan was also in ELO, was mates with Olivia Neutron Bomb and helped write Frankie Goes to Hollywood's first album, so he wasn't just a warmonger.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                        I wonder what the history behind them being so many is.
                        It's a fucking huge country. I mean, really, really fucking huge. And it began the processes of settled agriculture and then urbanism long before most other civilisations. And then it underwent rapid industrialisation at a time when medical practices around the world have drastically increased longevity and cut infant mortality. It's not particularly surprising that there should be lots of them.

If you want a more considered answer, try Guns, Germs and Steel.
                        So, how long before all the McDonald's are replaced with McWonTon, all 7eleven are replaced with LinHiu24-7, Starbucks is replaced with ChiunLeeTea, and there is an AmericaTown in Beijing?
                        It's somewhat exciting, to live in a time where you get to watch one superpower being knocked out and another take over.

Comment

Comment

So, how long before all the McDonald's are replaced with McWonTon
                            Yeah, for me, the line was somewhere just the other side of that.

Comment

La Lanterne Rouge wrote:
                              ganja wrote:
                              .... I have this spontaneous thought of Asia being way “behind” as far as contributing to the history of war and destruction goes.
                              Genghis and Kubilai Khan, Pol Pot, Mao Tse Tung etc, etc, might suggest you're not exactly spot on, here.
                              I didn't say their history was spotless, did I? I meant to raise the subject of them being more than half the worlds population, and being purely mathematical about it, “Hitler” should have been born there, as should “Custer”, “Cecil Rhodes”, “Oppenheimer”, and “Ted Bundy”, if you know what I mean?

Comment

Actually, some of them really, really do, a lot.

Comment

As for the 'when will there be an AmericaTown in Beijing', there's already a ThamesTown in Shanghai. see this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/aug/16/world.china

Comment

It's hard to go too far in Shanghai without seeing a Papa Johns or KFC.

Chinese people do tend to seek out other Chinese people when abroad but I'm not sure how different that is to other groups of people. I know that my circle of friends when I was in the UK was heavily weighted to other Irish people. I think it's more noticeable with Chinese people because every town in the world has a Chinese restaurant.

Comment

Can I just take this opportunity to point out that PF Chang's sucks? Every town on the planet with more than 100 people seems to have at leas one Chinese take-out place, run by actual Chinese people, selling tasty food at a good price. Its one of the last bastions of family run small businesses in this country. And yet somebody saw fit to do a chain of overpriced Chinese "themed" restaurants and put them in suburban shopping malls all over the place and we Americans, being the stupid fat pieces of shit that we are, go there. The other people in my office love that place and always want to go to the one at the White Flint Mall and get the fucking lettuce wraps. It's fucking LETTUCE with bits that you can use to pick up bits of meat that just falls out on your plate. What the fuck is wrong with people? And unlike a real Chinese restaurant where the waiter is usually the owners nephew or whatever, the staff at PFC are just the typical high school kids who don't know shit about the food. It's like the Cheesecake Factory but not nearly as good.

Comment

Has anyone ever asked for the chinese menu at a chinese restaurant in the western world?

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                          Well, if by "logical" he means "contrary to all genetic, archaeological and paleontological evidence", then he's right.
                                          The origins of the human species are definitely from Africa, but according to some recent genealogical research focusing on genetic markers, most human beings today descend from tribes in Central Asia, where humans from Africa settled tens of thousands of years ago, so Ganja's not very far off there.

http://www.amazon.com/Journey-Man-Ge.../dp/069111532X

Comment

Yep - it helps if you speak Chinese and go with your Chinese boyfriend. Then they give you the proper menu with the bowls of intestines and insanely spicy Sichuan dishes.

Comment

Yes they have ganja. Do you know any Chinese people?

Comment

Balderdasha wrote:
                                                Yep - it helps if you speak Chinese and go with your Chinese boyfriend. Then they give you the proper menu with the bowls of intestines and insanely spicy Sichuan dishes.
                                                So it's not only a Swedish thing, then.

Comment

linus wrote:

The origins of the human species are definitely from Africa,....
                                                  How definate can you be about such a thing?
                                                  90%, 70%, 45%?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X