Popularizing history through modern metaphors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historical arguments, without context, can be really boring. But it takes so much time to learn context - far better for pedagogical purposes, then, to graft context onto historical disputes through modern metaphors, as people will grasp the essence of the debate much more clearly.

For example, I believe the whole history of the reformation and counter-reformation is best seen as an early example of Coke vs. Pepsi.

In the early 16th century you had catholicism, a staid, decrepit product, grown fat off the easy profits that came with near-monopoly.

Then, all of a sudden, along comes Martin Luther, asking people to take the Wittenberg Challenge. You mean there's another cola/religion? It sweeps the board with its more refreshing taste.

At first, Coke stumbles, trying to have a nicer face, getting rid of indulgences and the like. This was catholicism's "New Coke Era".

But then the Church has a management retreat in Northern Italy. "Fuck this," says Pope Paul III, "what we need is to get our product back to basics and aggresively market the shit out of it. Torture people if you have to." Special sales teams known as "jesuits" were created to do the marketing. The counter-reformation can thus be seen as "Classic Catholicism" period.

Go ahead, make up your own!

Less 'A Tale of a Tub' than 'A Tale of a Two Litre Bottle'.

Comment

This Protestant used to be sold out for Pepsi max, but the decline of my religious belief was been matched by my shift to only the diet version - Pepsi or Coke. So there may be something in it.

Comment

Thanks guys, this has really helped improve my knowledge of the Pepsi vs Coke battle.

Comment

Health warning: do not use in classrooms, as confused students may take Coke's attitude to Virgin Cola as a guide to Catholicism's view of the blessed Virgin.

Comment

Charles I been the man, but he ain't no god, you feel me? He think he a muthafuckin god but it ain't like that. That Thirty Years War shit on the South Side he wanna get us mixed up in, that shit is gonna cost, yo. He can't hold that shit together, he got to get got.

Comment

What, you mean posh? Why?

Comment

Then?

Comment

Wa ayat al Urbi wrote:
                  Charles I been the man, but he ain't no god, you feel me? He think he a muthafuckin god but it ain't like that. That Thirty Years War shit on the South Side he wanna get us mixed up in, that shit is gonna cost, yo. He can't hold that shit together, he got to get got.
                  Oh, Indeed. Those motherfuckin' Stuarts be punk-ass bitches.

Comment

Comment

Sultan of Bruno wrote:
                      Just because you're all smart and shit.
                      Well, thanks for that, genuinely thanks for that, but smart =/= posh. I think that's important enough to be pointed out even when, as here, it's churlish to do so!

Comment

OTF's 800 years of hurt: Ireland/ Celtic/ Strokes v Britain/ Rangers/ AMMS

Comment

Well, I don't.

Comment

"A Orange"? We can't be having that.

Comment

Working...
                            X