Artec monkey; or, help me find a scanner driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right. I've taken my old scanner, my only scanner, the one that's been hidden in a cupboard in the loft since the advent of the new millennium, out of mothballs. I dug around in my cables box and found the power cable and adaptor, plugged it in, and on came the green light. However, further digging around in the cables box failed to locate the parallel port connectors - you know, those old-fashioned ones that have 25 pins and have to be screwed into place. The scanner is ten years old, and has no USB socket. But no matter; my workplace has an even bigger cables box, and contained just what I needed.

So far so good. Trouble is, there's no sign of the driver disk. And finding the drivers on the net hasn't been as easy as I thought. It's an Artec AS6E, but all links to Artec AS6E drivers seem to involve installing some kind of driver updating exe file, which looks highly suspicious. I just want the damn driver! Oh, and whatever software is necessary to import the scans into Photoshop. I seem to remember that in the distant past, on my old PC, I had to fire up something caled 'TWAIN'? Googling for TWAIN, though, it seems that it's some kind of programming language, rather than an application I can actually use.

So. In summary, this is what I'm after:

1. The drivers for an Artec AS6E scanner, in a form that doesn't involve installing a dodgy exe file

2. Whatever application I need to get the scans from the scanner into Photoshop, possibly deploying this mysterious 'TWAIN'.

Quick. Help me now! I can't scan my pack of 1970's Oxfam Happy Families playing cards without your help.

Here's the official driver download site. If you don't trust Artec themselves, then I'm not sure what we can do to help.

Comment

Ah. Right... I did go to the Artec site, but I could only find the page with all their current drivers on it. I must have missed the big button that said "All Our Old Drivers". Never mind, thanks very much.

Just this TWAIN thing to sort out, then.

Comment

Hmm. The download presents me with a folder containing a file named SETUPIO.EXE which, when clicked, immediately reports "You need to restart Windows so that the driver you just installed will take effect". I mean, really immediately, no progress bar, no install options, nothing. Oh well, I have to assume it's dropped whatever files it needs to in the right place. Restarted, but there's no sign of a scanner in my Device manager list.

I realise this gives the impression - accurately, it must be said - that I have little to no idea what I'm doing.

Comment

Try scanning something and see what happens.

Comment

Well this is just it, I can't - there's no option appeared in any of the Photoshop menus to start the scanner.

It's a good job I don't make a living out of designing pictures on computers or anything.

Comment

The Twain Import I remember from *very* old versions of PS - gone from my copy of CS2.

You might need to work around importing using this piece of shareware.

http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/146/twain-import.html

Comment

Thanks amp (thamp), I'll check that out.

I've realised, in the cold light of day, that the parting remark in my previous post could be construed as a pop at GY. I would just like to point out that this is in no way the case, as I was in fact berating my own ineptitude.

I dunno... you stop posting on forums for a couple of weeks, and forget how to do it properly.

Comment

Working...
                X