Report abuse

it look tasty!

From richard_kujawski on Tue Jan 27 04:46PM Report abuse

Comment

Now *that*'s a letter of complaint.

Oughtta be a 'report stupidity' button.

Comment

What are "refreshers?" He mentions making cheese out of refreshers and vodka.

Comment

That is, to be fair, the funniest complaint letter I've ever read. That's Wingco and EIM sat next to each other on Virgin flight to Dubai, that is.

Wonderful.

Comment

Probably these, which are basically flavoured sherbet (actually, it occurs to me you may not know what British sherbet is):

It's possible, but highly unlikely, that he's referring to these, which are chewy sweets with sherbet in the middle:

Comment

In case you don't know what sherbet is, an explanation for Americans from Separated By A Common Language:
              In BrE sherbet is a sweet-tart powder consisting of sugar, tartaric acid, bicarbonate of soda (AmE prefers baking soda), and mostly artificial flavo(u)rings and colo(u)rs. The closest thing in the US is probably the stuff in Pixy Sticks (straws filled with sweet-tart powder), but it's a bit different because sherbet is more fizzy (due to the soda). English friends my age get very sentimental about flying saucers (pictured left), which are (BrE) sherbet surrounded by a material that tastes and feels like communion wafers. When I was young, we played "church" with Necco wafers (pictured right). I wore a half-slip on my head to be a nun or a bride, depending on my mood. I feel rather cheated that we didn't have flying saucers to play church with, but other than their similarity to papery-tasting hosts, I don't really understand the appeal. But then, physical resemblance to communion hosts was just about the only appeal of Necco wafers as well.

Comment

Dear Richard

You replied to this pecker-head because his food was a bit off, but when a member of your cabin crew left a bomb threat on board a trans atlantic flight I was on, meaning I spent a day of my holiday being interviewed by the FBI in Iceland, I got... Fuck All.

You're a cunt with a fucked up view of what's important.

Love

EIM.

Comment

Please send that.

Comment

I have every intention of doing so, CTT. I'm pretty angry about this, in a kind of laid back, couldn't give a shit, way.

Comment

That is, to be fair, the funniest complaint letter I've ever read.

Seconded. It's excellent - when pundits of some sort exhort the more uncombative of us to take up arms and kick against assorted pricks with controlled invective, that's the kind of example needed.

Branson should give the bloke a free flight. With recognisable food.

Comment

So refreshers are a bit like Smarties, perhaps?

Anyway, so Refreshers and Vodka makes a sort of cheese. That sounds tasty, actually.

Comment

Heh. Yet another point of linguistic confusion. I've never had American Smarties myself, but, yes, apparently they are similar to the non-chewy Refreshers.

For Brits, US Smarties are apparently a bit like Love Hearts but not quite so hard.

Comment

I hate it when folk post pictures of sweets on here - I instantly crave whatever it is they've posted...

Comment

Incidentally, I plan to try out the Refreshers and vodka cocktail recipe tomorrow. I shall report back my findings.

Comment

Would it not be better just to empty a sherbet fountain into a half-bottle of Smirnoff? And drink it through a liquorice straw.

Comment

Branson should give the bloke a free flight. With recognisable food.

Don't count on it. I was on Virgin Rail when the Glasgow–Euston run was twelve hours late, they gave everyone a free mince pie.

Comment

I don't know if I believe that really is real (regardless of how many papers and websites tell me it is), but it's bloody hilarious all the same. I especially liked the penultimate paragraph.

So that was that Richard. I didn't eat a bloody thing. My only question is: How can you live like this? I can't imagine what dinner round your house is like, it must be like something out of a nature documentary.
                                    And for anyone still in doubt as to what Refreshers are...

Comment

So, to recap:

Smarties = Refreshers = Sherbet

Sherbet = Frozen dessert similar to ice-cream but not = ?

M&M's = Smarties

Snickers = Mars Bar

Necco Wafers = Necco Wafers

Comment

Oh, no no no no no. Snickers are Marathons, not Mars bars. That's a schoolgirl error.

Comment

I hate it when folk post pictures of sweets on here - I instantly crave whatever it is they've posted...

The worst is when people are eating in a scene in a film. I saw Godfather II - again - a few weeks ago and when the scene where the young Vito Corleone and his two pals sit around the table chowing down on Spag Bol while discussing how to deal with Don Fanucci, I immediately want to reach inside the television set via some sort of dimension-blending device thingy, swipe a bowl of the stuff off the table and gorge myself on it.

It's worse when it's on late at night, when there's no 'spag' and definitely no 'bol' to be found.

Comment

Isn't sherbet like sorbet or something?

Comment

Sherbet is a gateway drug to cocaine. Sort of charlie for kids.

Comment

A pedant might say that it's a shame the letter writer let himself down with repeated use of the incorrect "it's", but not me.

Comment

twohundredpercent wrote:
                                                  Isn't sherbet like sorbet or something?
                                                  It's like sorbet only in that it's frozen.

Sherbets (pronounced SHER-biht) contain fruit juice or puree, sugar, water, milk and/or cream, and sometimes eggs which gives them a smooth and rich consistency somewhere between an ice cream and a sorbet. Comes from the Turkish word 'chorbet' which was a drink made with fruit juice/puree, sugar and milk. The story goes that the drink was frozen one day and that is how 'sherbet' was invented. Sherbets are served for dessert only, not in between meals like a sorbet as a palate cleanser
                                                  Sorbet, on the other hand, is just pureed fruit with sugar added.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X