Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Chicago, then

My ears were burning.

Rory, you really picked quite the week to visit. It's normally frigid, but -40F (with the windchill) as it hit some parts yesterday took the biscuit. -15F walking to work this morning wasn't much fun either. So really, I'd suggest not going outside as much as possible.

Anyway, most the suggestions here are good. It depends what you're into to be specific about suggestions.

A few other general ideas:

- Catching a Blackhawks ice hockey game wouldn't be a bad idea, probably the best American sport to watch live. Not sure if they're at home this week or not.
    - You could head down to Hyde Park: home of Obama and Farrakhan, the University of Chicago (spawn of evil and where I attend grad school), Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House, the Museum of Science of Industry, and a decent bar called Jimmy's Woodlawn Tap.
    - If you don't go on a boat tour, just bundle up and walk around and stare at buildings in the Loop.
    - Don't know what kind of music you like, but there's everything from a top class symphony to dive bar rock all over the place. Would need to know your interests to advise further.
    - If you like bars packed with yuppies and fratboys, go to the Lincoln Park neighbourhood. If you like trendy hipsters, try Wicker Park. If you want to find some ex-pats and watch football, go to a bar called the Globe over the weekend. If you like cheap crusty bars, you've found my area of expertise, so send me a message.
    - I suggest Lou Malnati's for deep dish pizza. It's really good. If you're not into deep dish, Piece is a good (if now too trendy) place that brews its own excellent beer and serves good thin crust.

And depending when you're staying til, I could well be down for a beer in the Loop sometime or even up near your hotel (my girlfriend lives near the airport). Send me a message here.

Comment

So, Chicago, then

Look a that. I'm due to send you an email.

Comment

So, Chicago, then

Well, shit, this Tuesday must have something going on there. I figure it's the second city to be in (sorry) for the Inauguration.

Comment

So, Chicago, then

Man, so much great advice and so many great things to see and injest. I only wish I was here for a couple of weeks in spring or autumn as a tourist rather than in the worst weeks of winter with long work hours.

That Moto seems intriguing, but I wouldn't go to such an expensive place without the missus. I think I will try that Frontera Grill - a guy from work seems keen to try that on Monday.

Goldstone, I think that on the balance of things I will have to try and get a Deep Dish pizza. Unfortunately Malnati's seems to deliver everywhere except where I am (near Cumberland Station), but that Piece joint is on the blue line, so I may just try that out.

Comment

So, Chicago, then

Mitch wrote:
            Is 'Is Chicago worth visiting over New York' a stupid question?

I mean, it sounds from the descriptions here like it's a great place to live, but does it fit the bill for a touristy long-weekend?
            I am partial to NYC, but if all the time you have is a long weekend, I think Chicago would give more 'bang for the buck' (as they say). Save NYC for when you have a full week or two.

Comment

So, Chicago, then

Lou Malnati's is very, very good. And I say that nas someone who doesn't really go for the concept of deep dish pizza and thinks all pizza should be thin, and have that lovely burnt bottom from a wood fired clay oven.

Comment

So, Chicago, then

Great, great city, Chicago, my second fave American city after Minneapolis. You're a lucky man.

I quite like deep-dish pizza. The best deep-dish pizza place is at Oven Grinders. It's exactly across the street from where the St. Valentine's day massacre took place. Capone's men kept a look-out from the room you sit in.

The best blues club is Kingston Mines on N. Halstead.

http://kingstonmines.com

Good music, good bar-food, more reasonably priced than same blues places, and their T-Shirts just last forever.

I liked the Aquarium.

Comment

So, Chicago, then

Current Chicago residents can correct me, but last I checked the Frontera Grill didn't take reservations and typically had a line forming when it opened. So for minimum wait time, show up when it opens for dinner (probably 5 or 5:30), otherwise (in my experience) you'll be looking at an hour-plus wait.

Oh, and do have one (or 2 or 3) of their specialty made-from-scratch margaritas, with the good stuff.

Comment

So, Chicago, then

Chicago vs NYC. Hmm, hmm, hmm. NYC scores on the sheer visceral thrill of being there. Chicago has no properly tall skyscrapers as good as the Chrysler bulding or the Empire State. Fifth Avenue is more of an experience than North Michigan Ave, which is just a big street full of shops.

On the other hand, Chicago's far more approachable, far less touristy and not (and I think this is crucial) crawling with fuckin' Limeys. Its residential neighbourhoods have more going for them. The city's attitude to sports is instantly recognisable to a European, based as it is on fanatical loyalty and local rivalry, rather than "Where shall I spend my entertainment dollar?" The way the city just rises out of the prairie is extraordinary. And I think music and art in Chicago is probably less up itself but more genuinely distinctive and innovative.

On balance, I prefer it to New York, I think. And I love New York.

Comment

So, Chicago, then

If you don't want to go to the hassle of Frontera Grill here's a sleeper Mexican restaurant "Mundial Cocina Kitchen" in Pilsen.
                      1640 W 18th Street

It's right off the blue line 18th street stop, literally. Although if you want to hit birria or Pozole place on the way out, nothing is stopping you. They're a half a block away from the 18th street stop too.

It's usually what I do when I find myself hungover in Pilsen.

I will concede that NYC will top Chicago in winter. But in summer, Chicago with it's excellent beaches tops even the big apple.

Comment

So, Chicago, then

Well, I'm back home and I must say that even in oppressive weather it is a great city. Thanks to all the advice, which even if not taken directly, whet my appetite and gave me options to consider. For an Australian, while the cold was certainly pretty extreme, the short time frame meant it never really got me down. I was always going to be home in the heat soon, so I loved seeing the fresh snow.

I got to the John Hancock, Art Institute and to walk all around the Magnificent Mile, along the parks and also around the restaurants on the North side. I also had a mid-week trip to Detroit, the return of which was in a window seat to see Chicago appearing out of the lake and mist. Unfortunately La Frontera was closed on Sunday evening when I went by. There's always another time. There will be.

Comment

Working...
                        X