How will they blame ecstacy now?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another person dies from drinking too much water too quickly. No drugs were involved.
    Perhaps if the ragtops hadn't made Leah Betts' death a cynical and pathetic anti drug campaign, deflecting from the real thing that killed her, this woman might not have died.

Wasn't ecstasy implicated in Leah Betts' death, in that it disrupts the relevant homeostatic systems? Or is that disputed?

Comment

According to wikipedia
      An inquest determined that her death was actually not directly due to ecstasy consumption, but rather the large quantity of water she had consumed, apparently in observation of an advisory warning commonly given to ravers to drink water to avoid dehydration resulting from the exertion of dancing continuously for hours. Leah had been at home with friends and had not been dancing, yet consumed about 7 litres in less than 90 minutes, resulting in water intoxication and hyponatremia (low sodium levels; in this case due to the dilution of blood), which in turn led to serious swelling of the brain (cerebral oedema), irreparably damaging it. However, SIADH caused by the ecstasy left Betts unable to urinate which would have allowed expulsion of the excess water and prevented hyponatremia. At the inquest it was stated "If Leah had taken the drug alone she might well have survived. If she had drunk the amount of water alone she would have survived."[3]
      I can't however find any firm information about connections between Ecstacy and ADH production which can cause SIADH, althoguh it is alluded to in a number of places.

Dr John Henry, director of the National Poisons Unit at Guy's Hospital, said "I am not aware of anyone who has died as a result of an acute allergic reaction to Ecstasy. Her low plasma sodium level makes her death much more explicable. She drank a lot of water but with a lack of understanding of why she needed to drink water. Water is not an antidote to Ecstasy, it is an antidote to dancing."

Dr Henry said Ecstasy led to compulsive behaviour as well as blocking the body's normal signals indicating thirst or tiredness. "There have been cases of teenagers drinking too much water before," he said.
      Ah hang on, a list of casues for SIADH:-

Some common causes of SIADH include:

Head injury
      Subarachnoid hemorrhage
      Cancers
      Lung cancer (especially small cell lung cancer, as well as other small-cell malignancies of other organs)
      Infections
      Brain abscess
      Pneumonia
      Lung abscess
      Drugs
      Chlorpropamide
      Clofibrate
      Phenothiazine
      Cyclophosphamide
      Carbamazepine
      Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs, a class of antidepressants)
      Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, commonly called Ecstasy.

Comment

So the pills may have had on effect on her ability to wee out the 7 litres (SEVEN LITRES!) she drank.

Comment

have you ever tried having a piss on ecstacy, hobbes? it can be a fraught affair.

having a shit on the stuff can be fantastic, mind.

Comment

Aye, but you have to do some pretty thorough cleaning if you want to actually take the pill afterwards.

Comment

There's not a great deal I haven't attempted under the influence of chemical accelerants.
              Well, you know what I mean.

Comment

I was in a nightclub a few years ago and went for a piss. The guy next to me started vomiting into the urinal. I stepped away from him quickly. He then fell to his knees and began frantically sifting through the pile of puke.

It turned out he was looking for an E tablet he had swallowed a few seconds previously. After about 30 seconds of rummaging through his own filth, he found it and popped it back into his mouth.

Comment

I just can't imagine needing to get high that much. And I used to be pretty full on in my youth.

Comment

Working...
                  X