I ain't gonna play Sun City ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The occasion of the annual $1m Sun City Challenge golf tournament in South Africa (being run away with by Sweden's Henrik Stenson, this year) always for me acts as a reminder of how recent apartheid was.

Can it really be just twenty-odd years ago that this tournament - and the occasional "rebel" cricket tour - were among the most glaring reminders of the old South African government's increasingly failing desperation to pretend it was still part of the "western world community", by paying millions of dollars to entice the likes of Johnny Miller and Seve Ballesteros to come and play at its premier luxury resort?

And odd, too, that despite that being the reason behind the tournament existing in the first place, it remains , even now, the sole reason the world's top golfers go to South Africa every December. The transition from "old" to "new" can't have impacted Nedbank and the likes that much, they seem to have carried on as if nothing of much import has happened.

Wrong forum?

Comment

No, right forum.

There has been a great transition in ownership of corporate South Africa through the Black Economic Empowerment policy. Basically, to run a big business in SA, corporations needed to transform their ownership and/or partnerships with black companies (or companies co-owned by "previously disadvantaged" people), and/or sell a large chunk of shareholding to black companies/individuals. On management level, quotas were established to transform the demographic of company leadership.

So the Nedbank of 20 years ago is not the same Nedbank as it is now.

Comment

It would be great if Derek Riordan had all his money in Nedbank.

Carry on.

Comment

And Queen, Elton John, Linda Ronstadt, Julio Iglesias, The O'Jays, Ray Charles, Boney M., Black Sabbath, Rod Stewart, Tina Turner, Dionne Warwick and Sarah Brightman did play there...

Comment

No, right forum.
            Thanks, G-Man. I thought about putting this in Sport, but thought, no, this is a World thread. Our collective memories of apartheid and its fall, and the things that have changed since, etc.

That's what this thread is meant to be about, really.

Comment

Working...
            X