Senator Tweety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Senator Tweety

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/12/poll_chris_matthews_only_trail.php

Just teeing up a thread in the event of...

Senator Tweety

Well, at least he'd be off the air...

But has he given any indication that he would be interested in running? It seems like suddenly, a while back, people started talking about him running and I have no idea why.

Comment

Senator Tweety

Fivethirtyeight was reporting that he had started hiring staff to gear up for a potential run. That's a bit short of announcing a candidacy, but it is certainly a step in that direction.

Comment

Senator Tweety

He's denied the 538 story, but that doesn't mean anything.

On the one hand, I'm always glad to see articulate, widely-recognised people with solid liberal/lefty credientials go into politics.

On the other hand, he does seem like an attack ad waiting to happen.

Comment

Senator Tweety

He sounds like a bit of a fool.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/13/magazine/13matthews-t.html

Comment

Senator Tweety

Toro Hussein Toro wrote:
            On the one hand, I'm always glad to see articulate, widely-recognised people with solid liberal/lefty credientials go into politics.
            Me too--who are you talking about? Because we're talking about Chris Matthews.

Comment

Senator Tweety

Heh.

Comment

Senator Tweety

Hmm. I don't think Matthews is particularly good as a 'shoot from the hip' commentator/interviewer. The bull-in-a-china-shop ratiocination and all that. (That's two metaphor cliches in a row! It's effortless for me.) But he might be a different animal as a senator. (See, I keep doing it!)

Anyway, it's not as though he's too dumb to be a decent enough liberal senator, it's not exactly a Mensa convention up there.

Comment

Senator Tweety

No, but if he ousted Specter we'd just be replacing one self-important gasbag with another.

Comment

Senator Tweety

Sirota:

Having grown up outside of Philadelphia, I just want to say I really hope Chris Matthews runs for the U.S. Senate in Pennsylvania, and is humiliatingly obliterated in a Democratic primary (preferably by a good progressive like, for instance, former Rep. Joe Hoeffel).* The sense of entitlement that this blowhard personifies is truly stunning. He's spent his entire life as a principle-free political gossip in Washington - a human embodiment of all that is sick and wrong with Beltway culture. And yet, he really thinks he can just parachute into one of the largest states in the country, buy a mansion in Philadelphia and be a senator on sheer celebrity alone. I mean, maybe he can - maybe politics is now so devoid of meaning that this is just the way it is. But I really hope not.
                    [...]
                    Matthews, on the other hand, stands for absolutely his own career and by extension Beltway culture (and I don't think being for those things is an "ideology" or a "set of principles" in the same way advocating for a set of issues is). He's a guy so completely out of touch with economic reality that he insisted to the New York Times that he and his $5 million salary are not "part of the winner's circle in American life." As the Politico notes, he wants to "fulfill his boyhood dream of becoming a senator" - that is, he doesn't want to fulfill his boyhood dream of enacting universal health care or ending the war or some other cause, his dream is to simply BE a U.S. Senator - and, indeed, it doesn't even matter from where. It's not even his dream to become PENNSYLVANIA'S U.S. Senator - it's just to BE an officeholder.

Comment

Senator Tweety

I mean, I'll personally never forgive Matthews for creaming himself after W 'landed' on the aircraft carrier, but he doesn't strike me as 'principle free' either. He is an incorrigible starfucker though.

I haven't tracked closely the history of his attitudes on the Iraq war, maybe he flip flopped, but he's been outspoken against the occupation for some time.

'Parachuting' into PA makes it sound like what Hillary did; at least Matthews is from Philly.

Getting all riled because a prospective senator might be (gasp) a careerist, or that celebrity can land you in office, is just tedious by now.

Other than that my reaction is, Eh. I'd probably vote for him over the Republican, but yeah any number of Dem contenders would no doubt be preferable.

Comment

Working...
                      X