Degree Classifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Degree Classifications

Have "they" updated the slang for degree classification? I'm wondering if graduates of today would know who Douglas Hurd was?

First: Geoff (Hurst)
    2:i : No slang
    2:ii Desmond (TuTu)
    Third: Douglas (Hurd)

Degree Classifications

It is only on OTF that i have ever heard of these slang wods being used.
    Are they used commonly, or just by people in certain universities.

Comment

Degree Classifications

I thought it was public knowledge. I went to Warwick.

Comment

Degree Classifications

Undergraduate degree honours slang

A form of rhyming slang has developed from degree classes, usually using names of famous people. Due to the conventions of rhyming slang, only the person's first name is used, the last name referencing the degree by rhyming with it. This was reported by the BBC in 2000,[6] but the extent to which these abbreviations are actually used remains unknown.
        A First is known as a "Geoff" or a "Damien" after Geoff Hurst or Damien Hirst.
        A 2:1 is known as an "Attila" or a "Don" after Attila the Hun[citation needed] or Don Juan[citation needed] ('2:1' para-rhymes with "the Hun" and "Juan").
        A 2:2 is known as a "Desmond" or a "Dezza" after Archbishop Desmond Tutu or a "Drinker's Degree".
        A Third is known as a "Douglas" or a "Thora" after Douglas Hurd[6] or Thora Hird; it is also sometimes called a "Gentleman's Degree".
        A Third is also known as a 'Richard' after the monarch Richard III. However, this is used primarily as a derogatory term, due to the more common meaning of that term, a fecal reference in rhyming slang to the word turd.[7] A third is also referred to as a 'Vorderman' after the British television celebrity Carol Vorderman who received a Third at Cambridge. [8]

Comment

Degree Classifications

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/degree-classification-have-the-desmond-and-vorderman-had-their-day-516620.html

Comment

Degree Classifications

I don't think I want to do know what you would do with summa, magna and (especially) cum.

Comment

Degree Classifications

Well I certainly didn't know you went to Warwick.

Comment

Degree Classifications

The "Hurd" question reminds me of an old Two Ronnies number where they recite an anecdote using "Richard the Third" as rhyming slang, it appears, for something one might step in on the pavement. The punch-line was "and the Richard the Third flew off to its nest". Ah, what fun we had watching telly in the seventies.

Comment

Working...
                X