Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The terrible rise of the butternut squash

Quality trolling by AIATL there.

Spearmint Rhino's second-to-last post has destroyed my ironometer with a massive pulse of ironomagnetic energy.

I agree with Hofzinser on most everything he's said here, and rather suspect that that won't surprise anybody in the slightest.

Comment

I just wanted to post that picture. Isn't he so cute and delicious looking?

get your breed right, rear males and females separately and make sure the animals are never stressed at any time, is about the size of it.

this sounds like the principles of victorian education.

and could someone please tell me what exactly is a nut roast. i can get my head around the nut bit, but how do you make it resemble a roast? and what nuts do you use.

Comment

Isn't he so cute and delicious looking?
        I am salivating right now. And slightly tumescent.

Comment

hmm, you can take the man out of the hill dwelling, but you can't take the hill dweller out of the man.

I'm picturing the lamb giving the molly bloom chat about howth head.

Comment

I was reading the thread back and realised that i'd written "potatos" instead of "potatoes" not once, not twice, but three times. I've gone back and edited so I don't look too ignorant to future generations.

Comment

The term isn't "ignorant", it's "Vice-Presidential"

Comment

I'd like to go on record as saying that I've never eaten butternut squash and so I hate it (child's logic there).

I also can't stand the Sunday pub carvery. How is it possible to have a proper roast dinner ready for someone in such short time? Nonsense. Horrid, heatlamped nonsense.

Comment

Butternut squash is great.

Comment

amp wrote:
                    And La Rouge, You really need to go to a better pub if you think you can't get a good Sunday roast dinner these days. What you describe is more akin to a school dinner.
                    Fair enough. I stopped ordering them maybe 10 years ago when it finally dawned on me what an utter waste of my time it was to get something I didn't want. I don't think I've ever had roast beef at a pub that had a hint of red in it.

And I actually found the trimmings almost exclusively to be very ropey. There may be better locations now, but as yet they're an undiscovered country for me.

And it remains something I can do better, cheaper, and much, much larger, at home.

Comment

Butternut squash seem to be ubiquitous for the under-fives, I presume it is because (as I have found out in this thread having never tasted it) it is sweet tasting and therefore an easy option in getting children their 5-a-day.

I don't normally write things like this but Hofzinser is all sorts of right on this thread.

Comment

I don't know where I fit in here so a few points.

1. I don't think eating meat is unethical. Of course, there is an ecological argument for vegetarianism and I think that if you dislike the ideas of animals being slaughtered in providing food for you, then there is an onus, if not quite a moral obligation, to follow through on that. (Insert colonic joke of your choice here)

2. I eat Quorn. I miss the texture of meat. In itself, Quorn has negligible taste and limited value as protein but in a good, rich sauce it's a pleasurable vegetarian alternative.

3. The continuing vogue for haughty, haute cuisine in this country is inimical to veggies and perhaps a sign of the decline of the counter-culture, or indeed any perception that such a thing exists.

4. Hitler wasn't a vegetarian. Not that that really matters but it seems he wasn't.

5. I wouldn't eat butternut squash even if it was a dire emergency of some sort and I was having to take in food through a straw. Nil by mouth and all that. Or not that shit, anyway.

Comment

it's weird, but I've prepared and cooked more butternut squashes (2) than i've eaten (0) The seeds bit kind of freaks me out.

Of course, there is an ecological argument for vegetarianism

jesus yes. Ireland could reach its kyoto commitments by halving the size of the national herd. Irish agriculture produces as much greenhouse gas as the industrial and transport sectors combined. It seems that our four legged yummy friends are just four stomached farting and shitting machines.

Comment

It's more the uncouth burping and belching that's the problem with regard to cows/greenhouse gases.

Comment

wingco wrote:
                              Quorn has negligible taste and limited value as protein but in a good, rich sauce it's a pleasurable vegetarian alternative.
                              Why/ how is its protein value limited? Quorn has been endorsed by the Vegetarian Society since 2005, not that that's necessarily a confirmation of its value.

Comment

To a strange, only-in-my-head amalgamation of AIATL and wingco - Aye. I'm not certain what is meant by contrasting "ecological" and "moral", though. I suspect it's something in the region of, the ecological considerations have to do with harm reduction, whereas putatively moral ones would involve strict prohibitions against taking life in principle, or whatever. But I don't think moral/non-moral is the way to phrase that. Certainly though, there's an onus on we meat-eaters to very drastically change our feeding practices to reduce environmental impact.

The continuing vogue for haughty, haute cuisine in this country is inimical to veggies and perhaps a sign of the decline of the counter-culture, or indeed any perception that such a thing exists.
                                A veggie friend very recently had a ten-course vegetarian tasting menu in a two-star Michelin restaurant, he said it was by a distance the best meal of his life. There's no particular reason haute cuisine can't do this sort of thing. I think the problem is that at present, much of the collective focus is very much on expanding rather than reducing the range of flavours/combinations in the culinary toolbox.

Comment

Toro Hussein Toro wrote:
                                  To a strange, only-in-my-head amalgamation of AIATL and wingco
                                  How about this guy?

Comment

And I am the Life wrote:
                                    it's weird, but I've prepared and cooked more butternut squashes (2) than i've eaten (0) The seeds bit kind of freaks me out.

Of course, there is an ecological argument for vegetarianism

jesus yes. Ireland could reach its kyoto commitments by halving the size of the national herd. Irish agriculture produces as much greenhouse gas as the industrial and transport sectors combined. It seems that our four legged yummy friends are just four stomached farting and shitting machines.
                                    Of course, when fuck off huge herds of ruminants roamed the plains of prehistory blowing off at will the difference would be...industrial pollution. Don't pin your techno-crimes on the cows, man!

And I for one am disgusted with the forced inbreeding and unnatural mutations inflicted on innocent vegetables so that the likes of AIATL can have a more tasty runner bean. Shame on you!

Comment

I was going to comment on some fantastic Michelin starred vegetarian tasting menus I've eaten. I recommend Roussillon in Pimlico for this if anyone is feeling rich, hungry and vegetarian.

Comment

Toro Hussein Toro wrote:
                                        Spearmint Rhino's second-to-last post has destroyed my ironometer with a massive pulse of ironomagnetic energy.
                                        Oh, fuck off you little squirt. You're not as clever as you think you are, and nobody likes you.

Comment

I don't mind him.

And your thoughts on squash soup became tainted when I read of your dislike of Yorkshire pudding. Like, you know, getting a musical recommendation from someone who likes James Blunt. Tainted source, etc.

What could possibly be wrong with Yorkshire pudding?

Comment

They're not from Yorkshire.

Comment

Woah, wait... Wikipedia says "Yes"

Comment

Now that's confounded me. If I had a million pounds for every time I've read or heard that Yorkshire puddings originated in France...

Comment

Of course, when fuck off huge herds of ruminants roamed the plains of prehistory blowing off at will the difference would be...industrial pollution. Don't pin your techno-crimes on the cows, man!

well..... I doubt that there was ever 7 million cows, or five million sheep (down from 7 million in 2001) or 1,500,000 pigs, roving ireland in the past

by contrast, there are only 10 million cows in the Uk) 4.7 million pigs, and a freaky big 33.1 million sheep. you guys love your sheep.

(i'm almost disturbed that we have 12 times as many cows per capita as the UK)

Comment

And I am the Life wrote:

you guys love your sheep.
                                                    Oh, the opportunites to make a cheap crack and then get flamed to death...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X