Al-Jazeera reports from Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If ever you had any lingering doubts, place your bets on McCain now.

I dunno, it's not that surprising that people at a Palin rally are right-wing tits. The question is what proportion of the state's voters fall into that category, and the clip says nothing about that.

Comment

True.

Other sources and polls have corroborated the fact that a huge number of Americans believe Obama is a Muslim though, haven't they...

Comment

I think the polls have indicated around 10% of Americans think or assume he's a Muslim. A lot of people don't perceive (or don't care to perceive) the distinction between one's confessional status and one's ethnicity/parentage in this matter (hence the referral to his middle name, or his father, who was a Muslim, when you tell them he's actually a practicing Christian).

Comment

That third vox pop subject looks and talks exactly like the preacher from There Will Be Blood.

Comment

Yes he does. Good call.

Comment

Goes a long way to support Maureen Dowd's latin commentry.

'Obama non queretur high-tech lynching. Sed secreto-serventes agentes nervosissmi sunt.'

(and with good reason)

Comment

That's a great piece of TV journalism, you don't see that facet of the Palin crowd on CNN or even PBS. It's as if the MSM is too embarrassed to shine some light on the ugly underside of the heartland.

It seems like Obama is getting something like 75% of the non-redneck American vote, which thankfully should be enough to send him to the White House.

Comment

People like that make me really wish that we'd just let the South secede when we had the chance. Of course, a lot of those people don't live in the South but maybe they would have moved there by now.

Comment

I'm still pretty amazed at the Ohioans in the clip looking basically indistinguishable from people I grew up around (in Texas). Ohio's supposed to be the North for christ sake.

Comment

A lot of people don't perceive (or don't care to perceive) the distinction between one's confessional status and one's ethnicity/parentage in this matter (hence the referral to his middle name, or his father, who was a Muslim, when you tell them he's actually a practicing Christian).
                      Indeed - many people aren't talking about "confessional status" when they call someone a muslim.

Comment

TonTon wrote:
                        A lot of people don't perceive (or don't care to perceive) the distinction between one's confessional status and one's ethnicity/parentage in this matter (hence the referral to his middle name, or his father, who was a Muslim, when you tell them he's actually a practicing Christian).
                        Indeed - many people aren't talking about "confessional status" when they call someone a muslim.
                        I'm sorry, have I misused the term somehow?

Comment

No not at all. Or at least, I think it's clear what you meant. I was agreeing with you and emphasising what I think is an important point. Most of the time when insults are chucked at "muslims", it has nothing to do with to whom someone prays.

Comment

Oh, okay, sorry. I don't know about 'most of the time' though. Conflating Arabs (or Pakistanis, or Iranians, or even Kenyans I guess...anyone brown?) with Muslims happens a lot, but I would say just as many of these people, when they insult Muslims, have the specific beliefs (as they imagine them to be, often distorted of course) in mind.

Comment

Who was the OTFer who said America has solved its race Issues.
                              I mean these people are genuinely scared of a black president despite the fact that Obama probably didn't mix with many black people until his university.
                              You would think he was minister Farrakhan the way they act.
                              But then those people know what shit they have been doing to black people for generations and the prospect of a bit of payback is scaring them shitless.

Comment

]If ever you had any lingering doubts, place your bets on McCain now.
                                Speaking of bets...

You can get 7.8 on Betfair for McCain to get 251 electoral votes or more.

Comment

"People have kinda forgotten about 9/11" WTF????

Comment

Working...
                                  X