The White Supremacy thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    There has never been a story featuring a "NYC socialite" that hasn't made me mad.

The only question is how mad.
    Indeed. Because if they were contributing anything to the world, they’d be called a “philanthropist” or “entrepreneur” or “celebrity DJ.”

Comment

I'm locking this thread for 48 hours to give everyone a chance to cool off.

Comment

Let America be America again.
        Let it be the dream it used to be.
        Let it be the pioneer on the plain
        Seeking a home where he himself is free.

(America never was America to me.)

Let America be the dream the dreamers dreamed—
        Let it be that great strong land of love
        Where never kings connive nor tyrants scheme
        That any man be crushed by one above.

(It never was America to me.)

O, let my land be a land where Liberty
        Is crowned with no false patriotic wreath,
        But opportunity is real, and life is free,
        Equality is in the air we breathe.

(There's never been equality for me,
        Nor freedom in this "homeland of the free.")
        Langston Hughes

Full poem here https://poets.org/poem/let-america-be-america-again

Comment

This is utterly compelling and brilliant. It starts slowly and builds and builds. She's so incredibly eloquent and righteously angry

Comment

This is a google doc giving links to anti-racism resources for white people to be a better ally/accomplice (I think you have to ask for access after you click in, but you'll get it)
            https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...NUkI-uMYID80DQ

It's well put together and helpful.

(Though i have to get past my aversion to the (over)use of the words "folks")

Comment

We’re supposed to say “folx” now.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ShannonKilpatri/status/1268687841975918592?s=20

Comment

God damn, her for president. Who is she talking to?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                    The blurb on Youtube says:
                    On Saturday May 30th filmmaker and photographer David Jones of David Jones Media felt compelled to go out and serve the community in some way. He decided to use his art to try and explain the events that were currently impacting our lives. On day two, Sunday the 31st, he activated his dear friend author Kimberly Jones to tag along and conduct interviews. During a moment of downtime he captured these powerful words from her and felt the world couldn’t wait for the full length documentary, they needed to hear them now.

Comment

Agree with the lady 100%.

in Other news, AOC weighs in with her contribution.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1268224878555148288?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                        This is utterly compelling and brilliant. It starts slowly and builds and builds. She's so incredibly eloquent and righteously angry
                        That is powerful. I am rethinking some of my attitudes and beliefs as this all plays out. I don't think I really had a clue. I maybe have an inkling now. Have shared with family.

Comment

It sure is Erskine, and for those who like to quote Dr King, you can accompany her message with this.
                          https://twitter.com/ava/status/1087383449374121984?s=20

Comment

He should have gotten the Nobel for Calm Responses for that.

Comment

He should have gotten the Nobel for Calm Responses for that.
                              That was typical of the interviews of those days. They would give MLK underhanded praise and try and poke and bait him with those kind of questions. You saw that in interviews with Malcolm X and Muhammed Ali where they would spend the first five minutes getting into a pointless debate about his name. It was tactic to wind them up and throw them off their game.

Comment

I thought this from Gary Yonge was excellent. Curious to know your thoughts, TG.

https://twitter.com/doubledownnews/status/1268913275288399873?s=21

Comment

Yeah, great as ever from Younge.

Comment

Originally posted by Erskine Bridges View Post

That is powerful. I am rethinking some of my attitudes and beliefs as this all plays out. I don't think I really had a clue. I maybe have an inkling now. Have shared with family.
                                    Same here.

Comment

This is good- for the Scots especially

https://twitter.com/Liam_O_Hare/status/1268955830948368385?s=20

There is a narrative in Britain that slavery was nothing to do with us- that it was those naughty Americans who did it and our only role in the slave trade ewas to abolish it.

we introduced it to the US and the Carribbean - we transported the people and we benefitted from their labour. many of the slave owning families are still the wealthy families- and we only finished paying off the compensation to the people who lost their "property" when slavery was abolished FIVE YEARS AGO.

you can check names and histories of slave-owning families and the estates here.

Comment

I just posted this in the other thread but it belongs here, too.

From James Baldwin in the New Yorker

Crime became real, for example—for the first time—not as a possibility but as the possibility. One would never defeat one’s circumstances by working and saving one’s pennies; one would never, by working, acquire that many pennies, and, besides, the social treatment accorded even the most successful Negroes proved that one needed, in order to be free, something more than a bank account. One needed a handle, a lever, a means of inspiring fear. It was absolutely clear that the police would whip you and take you in as long as they could get away with it, and that everyone else—housewives, taxi-drivers, elevator boys, dishwashers, bartenders, lawyers, judges, doctors, and grocers—would never, by the operation of any generous human feeling, cease to use you as an outlet for his frustrations and hostilities. Neither civilized reason nor Christian love would cause any of those people to treat you as they presumably wanted to be treated; only the fear of your power to retaliate would cause them to do that, or to seem to do it, which was (and is) good enough. There appears to be a vast amount of confusion on this point, but I do not know many Negroes who are eager to be “accepted” by white people, still less to be loved by them; they, the blacks, simply don’t wish to be beaten over the head by the whites every instant of our brief passage on this planet.
                                        The fear that I heard in my father’s voice, for example, when he realized that I really believed I could do anything a white boy could do, and had every intention of proving it, was not at all like the fear I heard when one of us was ill or had fallen down the stairs or strayed too far from the house. It was another fear, a fear that the child, in challenging the white world’s assumptions, was putting himself in the path of destruction

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                          I thought this from Gary Yonge was excellent. Curious to know your thoughts, TG.

https://twitter.com/doubledownnews/status/1268913275288399873?s=21
                                          Ticks alot of boxes,

Does not say riots don't work
                                          References MLK properly
                                          References the Panthers
                                          References Fredrick Douglas
                                          Points out the BLM movement started under a black president.

I would give it a B-

Comment

Here is what I subscribe to.

https://youtu.be/h4Ei4jK01Rc

I agree with every single word of what this man has said and is what the likes of Malcolm X and Dr Claude Anderson have preached for decades and what really worked for the Civil rights movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Erskine Bridges View Post

The bit about “we don’t own anything!” is particularly acute right now. So much urban development - or suburban or rural development - are things like Targets, CVS’ or the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta. They bring in some jobs and maybe a decent place to buy stuff, but they aren’t owned by anyone locally. So the feeling is “they don’t care about us so why should we care about them.”

It occurs to me that there must be some optimal level of unrest. On one end of the spectrum, if there were no protests at all, it wouldn’t be in the news very much, there wouldn’t be much discussion of the root causes, and it would just be ignored. On the other end of the spectrum, there must be some diminishing returns for all the damage. At some point, all the people who might possibly pay attention are paying attention and any further destruction is just putting people out of work and creating eyesores. So that means that there’s a point in between there where the unrest and the destruction hits peak efficacy.

I have no idea what that point is.

Comment

When things change is peak efficacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                                  Here is what I subscribe to.

https://youtu.be/h4Ei4jK01Rc

I agree with every single word of what this man has said and is what the likes of Malcolm X and Dr Claude Anderson have preached for decades and what really worked for the Civil rights movement.
                                                  Thanks for that. TG, Very impressive guy.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X