No announcement yet.

Toxic masculinity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Er, not the Thank you for support letter...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
      Er, not the Thank you for support letter...

Yes, that was the letter I thought you wanted us to read and was struggling to see the connection!

Are we sure that the letter you had in mind is genuine and not a pisstake?

And did the "punch up" really have referees?

Comment

I suspect the bits about referees, consenting adults and 'no weapons' are actually the correspondent's ideas regarding how a mass fight could be regulated so participants are not left dead or seriously injured, but, um, 'spent and pacified' after their manly exertions.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
          I suspect the bits about referees, consenting adults and 'no weapons' are actually the correspondent's ideas regarding how a mass fight could be regulated so participants are not left dead or seriously injured, but, um, 'spent and pacified' after their manly exertions.

Ah yes, that's probably it.

Sounds like Jake Jacobs is proposing something like those Russian fight club-type encounters.

Comment

I wonder how he feels about Blue Story

Comment

Probably a few too many blades and guns for JJ.

Comment

The two incidents of that kind I've witnessed certainly had serious consequences for others.

1981/2 Wolves v Man U from the 5th floor kitchen window of our hall of residence, Randall Lines House, we overlooked the ring road and the Elephant & Castle pub - quaintly stranded between two arms of dual carriageway. Man U casuals were there at opening time, standing outside in loose ranks and at exactly 11.30 the Wolves Subway Army approached from two directions and the pre-arranged fight began. Marquis of Queensberry soon out the way as beer mugs, bricks, pub chairs etc began flying across the dual carriageway, causing emergency stops and at least two crashes.
                While it livened up our hungover breakfast, I never forgot it when people who ought to know better talked with a glint in their eye about football gangs. two stabbings, if memory serves, and the road was closed for ages for the clear-up and arrests.

Late 90s (?) there was a pre-arranged Geordies v Mackems casuals fight on the Shields ferry. One round of 10 mins (that's how long it takes to cross) but trauma for people with kids going for an ice cream at the beach. We were at N. Shields Fish Quay and observed the huge commotion of polis vans etc and, again, road closure for more than an hour.

Comment

Can toxic masculinity in western societies be separated from capitalism? I know it's much older than capitalism but in my lifetime it's always felt that the pressure to be a man is expressed through economic measurement, or at least things that operate through a market. Find a job, settle down, smile as you kill. Not sure you can abolish one without demolishing the other.

Comment

Two students from Cork win the nationally prestigious Young Scientist competition with a project on gender stereotyping, and the adults are raging:

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1215747139072135168

Comment

In what way are the adults raging? What is there to rage about?

Comment

I think he means people making BTL comments on the Journal.ie

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          Can toxic masculinity in western societies be separated from capitalism? I know it's much older than capitalism but in my lifetime it's always felt that the pressure to be a man is expressed through economic measurement, or at least things that operate through a market. Find a job, settle down, smile as you kill. Not sure you can abolish one without demolishing the other.
                          Increasingly, women are encouraged to behave the same way. It’s still toxic, but maybe less masculine. I don’t think that helps as much as some people think it does.

Comment

Working...
                          X