No announcement yet.

Orban goes full on anti-semite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was it actually overt? I'm going to guess it wasn't.

I checked, it wasn't.

Comment

Yeah it was overt in Pope speak, but not really. I suppose you could argue that in incredibly high-context Vatican speak it was overt, but very few people speak Vatican

Comment

Yeah I don't see why the pope should get a whole new meaning of "overt" for himself, just because he's a weaselly shit.

Comment

Nothing to do with Orban or modern Hungary, but this photo popped up today, and I thought it was interesting. This is Rakoczi Utca (in Pest)...in 1974. The impression we get of communist era eastern Europe is one of unremitting grey, so this sort of surprises

You can find many more photos from the same photographer here if you're interested https://archivum.mtva.hu/photobank/?...K%C3%A1roly%22

Comment

Wonderful photos.

Not to detract from your very failed point, but even by the time of my first visit in 1984, Pest stood out from other Warsaw Pact capitals for the vibrancy of its neon and street life. In that way, it felt even more out of keeping with Warsaw, Bucharest, Sofia, etc than did Belgrade, which occupied a more liminal place in other ways.

This particular aesthetic also reminds me of Polish graphic design at the time, perhaps best exemplified by posters.

Comment

This is an interesting piece on Hungary's push to increase the birth rate. The long box test at the end of the article about the history of this "fear of disappearance" is perhaps the part most worth reading
              https://balkaninsight.com/2021/09/23...ies-they-want/

Comment

https://twitter.com/katka_cseh/status/1440996434887729159

Comment

The contradictions in the policies regarding the Hungarian diaspora detailed in the article are very enlightening.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                    The contradictions in the policies regarding the Hungarian diaspora detailed in the article are very enlightening.
                    It's not a diaspora in my understanding of the term. The people haven't moved, the borders have.
                    Last edited by ad hoc; 23-09-2021, 14:12.

Comment

We don't really have a word for that, do we?

And you are correct to highlight that the experience of the people in your village/region have had a rather different experience than ethnic Hungarians in Chicago or Melbourne.

Comment

Interesting documentary encapsulating ad hoc's comments in this thread about how Orban is playing on Trianon by giving out citizenship to Transylvanians and Transcarpathians:

Comment

Well if Orban really wants to return Hungary to a pre-Trianon situation perhaps he should start by returning his powers to Vienna.

Comment

Apparently, the opposition coalition does have a plausible chance of toppling Orban, but needs around 49% of the vote:

https://twitter.com/aldrin_smith1/status/1463865615198924800

Comment

Very democratic. One of Orban's right hand men tells the security servies that the greatest threat to the nation comes from the opposition https://www.direkt36.hu/en/kover-las...sagi-veszelyt/

Comment

That reminds me that Thatcher was going to call The labour party "the enemy within" in her 1984 conservative conference speech, until the focus shifted for some reason or another.

Comment

Funding the Bosnian Serb secessionists, as you do.

Comment

Is there an election on? I'm sure I saw a Hungarian language political billboard in Borough yesterday. Does Hungary have overseas constituencies?

Comment

Parliamentary election on 3 April

While Hungarians living abroad who don't have a Hungarian address -- which is normal for ethnic Hungarians living in neighboring states -- are allowed to mail in their votes, Hungarians who have kept their addresses but are living outside the country must go to polling stations overseen by Hungary's National Polling Office.

Voters often complain there are not enough polling stations and they have to travel too far to get to them. In the United Kingdom, there are only three polling stations -- in London, Edinburgh, and Manchester -- although the authorities have said for these elections they are expanding the capacity of the London voting center.

Comment

The election is today week, no overseas constituencies, but citizens can vote from anywhere for a party list.

Comment

Ah ok. It was a rotating electronic billboard. I do wonder how much bang for your buck you'd get advertising in London.

Comment

Orbán is going to win. The cunt. I thought that the Ukraine situation would work against him as he is so close to Putin, but there's a lot of shitty anti Ukraine propaganda in Hungary and I think also people are wanting the stereotypical "strong leader"

Comment

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1508172790435917833

Comment

https://twitter.com/panyiszabolcs/status/1509431225781469189

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  Orbán is going to win. The cunt. I thought that the Ukraine situation would work against him as he is so close to Putin, but there's a lot of shitty anti Ukraine propaganda in Hungary and I think also people are wanting the stereotypical "strong leader"
                                                  What does anti Ukraine propaganda look like in Hungary?

Comment

Originally posted by Belhaven View Post

What does anti Ukraine propaganda look like in Hungary?
                                                    Ukraine treats its Hungarian minority as second class citizens

(there is a small amount of truth to it, but it's massively overblown. And the way it's presented sometimes makes it seem like we should treat the invasion as karma)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X