Internet stuff that makes you happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

I think that's very high praise for Harvester. But then, I've often enjoyed being in a Denny's. I've rarely enjoyed their food, but in parts of the country the service and people can be exceptional and I've often thought that many of the fancier restaurants in London would do well to poach staff from the Denny'ses of non-urban America.

Harvester has none of the charm or character of Denny's. It's more like Applebees with worse food, or maybe Sizzler.
    Patton Oswalt has a good bit on Denny's that captures it's appeal.

Comment

Harvester is a chain pub that made a big deal of its unlimited 'salad bar" which is mainly different stuff in gloop with more gloop to pour on them. Otherwise it's just fried stuff with a menu that's heavy on the meat and light on vegetables. Without wanting to sound snarky I think to Americans would like it. Apart from the portion sizes being too small compared to American restaurant portions.

My favourite Harvester story was a well built guy who went to the salad bar and came back with two bowls. One was full of little bread rolls and the other full of the "red devil" salad dressing. He then proceeded to eat the rolls like nachos, dipping them in the dressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Yes, I think that you can safely assume that marital status is a poor determinant of human worth.

Friendships is slightly better, but there are a number of factors which complicate that measure.

A honest appreciation of one's compassion is better than most other indicators.
        The number of friendships probably doesn't mean much. The quality of those friendships does, but I don't think that can be measured.

The upside of being somebody with no power and little money is that I can be confident that my friends are actually my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          Harvester is a chain pub that made a big deal of its unlimited 'salad bar" which is mainly different stuff in gloop with more gloop to pour on them. Otherwise it's just fried stuff with a menu that's heavy on the meat and light on vegetables. Without wanting to sound snarky I think to Americans would like it. Apart from the portion sizes being too small compared to American restaurant portions.

My favourite Harvester story was a well built guy who went to the salad bar and came back with two bowls. One was full of little bread rolls and the other full of the "red devil" salad dressing. He then proceeded to eat the rolls like nachos, dipping them in the dressing.
          Small portions defeats the purpose of those places.

Patton Oswalt has a bit about that too.

Comment

They're not actually small portions. They're big, just not the planetary size you get in the US

Comment

That’s perceived as good value.
              The saying is “if you don’t need it, it’s not good value.” We haven’t learned that.

Comment

The photos of bears in a swan pedalo make this story worth sharing

https://news.sky.com/story/bedfordsh...dalos-13100638

Comment

Comment

Porkchop sandwiches!

Comment

I think there are about a dozen of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X