Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lobster Boy (was: This Jordan Peterson Guy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bruno
    What, do you mean by definition? I'm aware of the weird hypocritical alliances there have been. If you want call them baked into the cake or inevitable, I'm not with you.
    I mean, the history of fascism is the history of religious conservatives supporting/enabling fascism. Religious conservatives and fascists have been frequent and natural allies.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
      They all sound angry about PC because that seems like the current trendy way to resist behaving like decent human beings.
      I'm not sure. Current may be true, but trendy? I recall lunch-time discussions about political correctness when I worked on the magazine, which was the early 80s or earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
        I'm not sure. Current may be true, but trendy? I recall lunch-time discussions about political correctness when I worked on the magazine, which was the early 80s or earlier.
        It is very weird to see Derrida et al. re-emerge as right-wing bugbears again. It's like reliving my college days in the '90s, man!

Comment

This thinking requires you to either ignore the concerns of people on the left (and center) who support what PC broadly stands for but are concerned about they see as overreach, or to lump them together with indecent human beings of the "reactionary right."
          What are you talking about here? Black Lives Matter? trans rights? What are the specific issues some of ‘the left’ have with black lives matter? (Let’s put aside the whole terf thing for a second)

Comment

How can anyone take this guy seriously?

https://twitter.com/PrettyBadLefty/status/976682586339729408

I don't know if he genuinely reacts like this to this extent when thinking about these things, or if he is playing this up a bit for some effect.

Comment

The best one is where he is interviewed and basically disavows all activism beyond cleaning your room or channeling your inner lobster. When the interviewer asks if that precludes protesting climate change inaction, he smugly asks “well, how did you get here?” It speaks volumes to his smug, self satisfied Uber comfortable worldview that he is utterly stumped and lost for words when he is informed the interviewer took the bus.

I can only imagine JP has the same feelings toward public transport as Maggie and Musk. Would be a real cunts carnival those three on a packed bus of underachievers.

23 pages on this fanny. Fucking hell Bruno.
              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 22-03-2018, 18:59.

Comment

I don't agree with Berba on everything but he's played a blinder on the past couple of pages. I outsource my opinions on this to him.

Comment

Yep. We’re not talking Greece and Ireland’s magic plane leasing economy here. Berba is kicking ass and taking names on this topic.

Comment

I don't know why you're asking me when you could just google it, but here's one example:

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/10/a...pitalism-labor

MAke what you will of the contents; it's just an example of something pretty visible and talked-about.
                    Man, you keep bringing up the pc overreach/backlash thing. Was wondering if you had workings.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                      How can anyone take this guy seriously?

https://twitter.com/PrettyBadLefty/status/976682586339729408

I don't know if he genuinely reacts like this to this extent when thinking about these things, or if he is playing this up a bit for some effect.
                      Men who go on and on about "individualism" online are hard to tell apart.

Comment

This thinking requires you to either ignore the concerns of people on the left (and center) who support what PC broadly stands for but are concerned about they see as overreach, or to lump them together with indecent human beings of the "reactionary right."
                        No, really, it doesn't. People on the left might think there's overreach in some places. But thinking there's overreach is very different to having a backlash against something.

Also, I still haven't seen anything of a backlash from people on the center or left. The "backlash" such as it is, is from people who in previous eras would backlash against the Great Society, or Civil Rights Acts, or people ending Jim Crow Laws, or Womens Suffrage, or Emancipation. It's just that this time it's "PC" that's going to far, rather than letting women have a full vote, or allowing black kids go to the same schools as white kids.

Comment

That’s a pretty worthless part of the left then, IMO. Like old school New Dealers getting all antsy over civil rights back in the day.

Comment

Anyway, this couldn’t get more circular if we all started doing coke and could type over each other’s posts.

Comment

Whit? You and Nef have your beef, leave me out.

Comment

So you are saying JP is on my side. That’s a pretty big fucking pitch. I’m with Gramsci on what he probably is, but glib reactionary Christians with a sudden fanbase are dangerous enablers, especially when they think they can reason with and moderate the frog fash people.
                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 22-03-2018, 20:26.

Comment

On Jordan Peterson's alleged induction into an Indigenous nation.

Comment

Then I don’t understand your post then, when you said it was bigger than you and this thread.

Comment

I think I’m going to savour Gramsci’s link like a fine cigar after dinner.

Comment

A pretty fair article. It seems silly that he's tried to lie about this, but he seems to have wanted a quick and snappy retort that goes beyond "well, some of my best friends..."

Comment

Conservatives love to deplore the "tokenism" of liberals when it comes to diversity programs, but love to have a token non-white or non-male "friends" they can use as a sock-puppet for their own agenda.

Comment

Comment

Is that a Dalek on his flag pin?

Comment

Holy shit I believe it is. No tainted Afro-futurism for good old Ben, fuckin Dr Who is where it’s at. Fuck sake.

Comment

It's like the side of a fighter plane beneath the cockpit. It's a knife.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                    Holy shit I believe it is. No tainted Afro-futurism for good old Ben, fuckin Dr Who is where it’s at. Fuck sake.
                                                    LOL, my belief that Dr. Who sucks confirmed.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X