Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Common words or phrases that immediately make you think of other words, because of so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salt n shake View Post
    That brings things back - my grandmother's was to respond to "I see," with, "said the blind man to his deaf daughter."
    Yup. Our was "I see, said the blind man to his deaf wife, as he picked up his hammer and saw..."

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
      If you ever said "guess what?" to my father, he'd reply "cold potatoes aren't hot."

If anyone ever says to me "listen" my immediate reply is "You smell something?"
      Where I'm from the response to "Guess what?" is "Chicken Butt!" Not sure where the comes from. A an eight-year-old taught it to me, but it's pretty common.

Comment

"Stop..." collaborate and listen...

"Bass (or base)... "How low can you go? Death row, what a brother knows Once again, back is the incredible The rhyme animal The uncannable D, Public Enemy Number One Five-O said, "Freeze!" and I got numb Can I tell 'em that I never really had a gun? But it's the wax that the Terminator X spun Now they got me in a cell cause my records, they sell Cause a brother like me said, "Well Farrakhan's a prophet and I think you ought to listen to What he can say to you, what you wanna do is follow for now" Power of the people, say "Make a miracle, D, pump the lyrical" Black is back, all in, we're gonna win Check it out, yeah y'all, here we go again.

"Shit..." If it's gonna be that kinda party, I'm gonna stick my dick in the mashed patatahs.

Comment

Another one of Granny's:

"Come in..." (to the garden Maude, for the black bat night has flown)

Comment

"It's..." triggers the Monty Python theme, sometimes out loud depending on the company, otherwise in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
              "It's..." triggers the Monty Python theme, sometimes out loud depending on the company, otherwise in my head.
              Absolutely.

Comment

Through relentless repetition, I now have both kids saying "Rice is great when I'm hungry and want 2,000 of something" whenever we have rice. Mrs WOM isn't laughing any more.

Comment

Ah, Dinnertime:

My Mother: "Their are three million Chinese children who would be thankful for that."

My Sister & I in unison: "Name two!"

Comment

"You see [something, anything]?"
                    That's you that is. That's your mum.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

"Bass (or base)... "How low can you go? Death row, what a brother knows.
                      Everybody knows that's" Death row, water buffalo".

Watching the derby tonight,I'm reminded that every time Adam Lallana is mentioned, I repeat his name to the tune of " 'ave a banana!"

Comment

Whereas I go into:

“Lallana” (you don’t love me you don’t love me)

As with “Ben Mee” (shape me any way you want me)

Comment

Wandering into arcane sayings rather than completing sentences I know, but any reasonable request as to the whereabouts of something in the family home - e.g. 'where's my coat?, would elicit the response 'up a cows arse in America'. I've no idea whether this was specific to our family, and I'm not googling it to find out.

Meanwhile in thirty years time one of my kids will get into this sort of reminiscing and say oh yeah my dad used to think it was hilarious whenever one of us asked 'where's the bin', he'd reply 'ah's bin to work'.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                            Yup. Our was "I see, said the blind man to his deaf wife, as he picked up his hammer and saw..."
                            My dad's was "I see, said the blind man waving his wooden leg."

There are a couple of people in my office doing some work at the moment with an organisation called Doctors of the World. Or Doctors of the World, spice up your life as I know them.

Comment

'What did s/he die of?' is always followed by 'lack of breath' by me, just because my dad always said it, regardless of whether they were family or celebrity, and what they died of. I said it in response to somebody asking me about him a week after he died.

Ms johnr gets really annoyed by it, so I've tried to stop. But I think it.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                                'What did s/he die of?' is always followed by 'lack of breath' by me, just because my dad always said it, regardless of whether they were family or celebrity, and what they died of. I said it in response to somebody asking me about him a week after he died.

Similarly, a 'how did they die' question from the kids elicits 'they stopped breathing' from me.

'How long is the train?' will prompt 'ooh dunno, about 200 metres?', which does their heads in completely on train-based holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post

Watching the derby tonight,I'm reminded that every time Adam Lallana is mentioned, I repeat his name to the tune of " 'ave a banana!"
                                  "Adam Lallana, munch-munch" in our house, every time

Comment

word association football

Comment

I have to say that I am really struggling to think of anything that uses the words "Ben" and "Mee" in a row. Other than, "shape me anyway you want me".

Comment

Whereas I go into:

“Lallana” (you don’t love me you don’t love me)

I do Ave a Banana.

Also Bacuna Matata.

Years ago there was a kids show called Yoko Jakamoko Toto. The theme was just those three words repeated. I sing it with Bakayoko in the middle when he gets mentioned.

Comment

Hey-ho. Flint.

Comment

We often use the classic from Airplane?

“The Hospital? (or whatever) What is it?
                                            “It’s a big building with lots of sick people, but that’s not important right now.”

Comment

Happened last night.

Mrs Thistle: "I feel like..."
                                              Me: "Chicken tonight!"

Comment

Classic FM play The Liberty Bell March every morning just before 8 a.m. I am compelled to blow a raspberry at the appropriate moment.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                                  Similarly, a 'how did they die' question from the kids elicits 'they stopped breathing' from me.

'How long is the train?' will prompt 'ooh dunno, about 200 metres?', which does their heads in completely on train-based holidays.
                                                  Death is a delicate subject but it's also a fertile ground for good wisecracks (and thank God, gallows humour is not dead).

I’ve sometimes heard people wondering aloud, in sheer disbelief, if such or such deceased (and definitely deceased) person really snuffed it. They may say things like: "He’s not dead, is he?", or: "So, is he really dead then?"

I always feel like replying: "Well, I hope for his sake that he did die because he was buried last week".

Comment

The other famous reply to that one kev, is "well, they don't fuck about at the crematorium."

Comment

Working...
                                                    X