Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brutalism (and other architectural styles)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was lost in SW London yesterday and went past Dundonald Church. It's the first church I've seen in the New London Vernacular.

Comment

Who knew that Calvinist Revival was a thing?

Comment

One of the few churches that split off from the Church of Scotland over their tolerance of gay marriage is a happy clappy,video screens and fucking "rock" bands born again hell hole in central Edinburgh, catering almost exclusively to the douce haute bourgeoise that have somehow found God.

Comment

That is one damned ugly church, it'd be bad enough as student flats. The ubiquitous "New London Vernacular" (its all over Glasgow and Dublin like a rash as well) doesn't really work with that much plate glass.

Comment

Yesterday I went on a walking tour of Harry Seidler's modernist buildings in Sydney (well some of them). Really fascinating stuff and in some cases really beautiful. I'll put some pictures up a bit later.

Comment

Comment

A celebration of...concrete: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-68659273

Comment

Are the "verdant" patches in the bike one plastic, rather than living?

Comment

Hard to tell for sure, but there does seem to be some natural grass in the park

https://focus.hidubai.com/mushrif-park/

Comment

I guess BMW's headquarters would be the obvious example where I live.

Comment

This is the Memorial Hall at the school I work at. Apparently, and I quote..

it could soon have a place on the State heritage register in recognition of its history as the country’s first brutalist style building.

The Heritage Council of WA is considering whether to recommend Heritage Minister David Templeman include the more than 60-year-old structure on the State Register of Heritage Places, the highest level of heritage significance in WA.

Comment

Originally posted by Abertwisted View Post

This is the Memorial Hall at the school I work at. Apparently, and I quote..

it could soon have a place on the State heritage register in recognition of its history as the country’s first brutalist style building.

The Heritage Council of WA is considering whether to recommend Heritage Minister David Templeman include the more than 60-year-old structure on the State Register of Heritage Places, the highest level of heritage significance in WA.

No image visible, I'm afraid, (it's an issue on the board).

This place:

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                            That Taiwan hotel looks like a dystopian sci-fi prison. Looks a bit less oppressive in the marketing material.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post

That Taiwan hotel looks like a dystopian sci-fi prison. Looks a bit less oppressive in the marketing material.

Hmmmmmm, a bit perhaps!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

No image visible, I'm afraid, (it's an issue on the board).

This place:

Yes, that's the place. Thanks!

Comment

Not quite brutalist, but putting it here as it's literally a stone's throw from the tower ad hoc posted above.

Comment

Working...
                                  X