Impossible Burgers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    A well fired morning roll is a whole different plane of existence to a sandwich.
    "Well fired" being a euphemism for incinerated to such a degree that Don McCullin would flinch at photographing it.

I stopped at BK on the way home this evening, partly influenced by this thread (and five pints down, for context). The fries were crispy, slightly thicker but less salty than McDonald's, from memory. The Bacon Double Cheeseburger promised a lot with the initial hit of bacon and cheese but by the third bite was strangely tasteless and a bit woolly in the mouth.

Comment

Hot dog sandwich. State of that shite.

Comment

Ach benjm, there’s no point in the kind of roll that pierces the roof of your mouth, but floury almost moist give under a slightly browned and crisp top outer rim is a thing of beauty.
        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 19-11-2017, 02:50.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
          Good god, you people.
          We don't make the rules, fella...

Comment

For those confused, this might help: Sandwich Family Tree

Comment

Is a pizza calzone a sandwich?

Comment

What about two crispbreads with something between them?

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                  ....floury almost moist give under a slightly browned and crisp top outer rim is a thing of beauty.
                  That's fair enough but the things I've seen sold as 'well fired', in Scotland and down here now and again, have been burned black.

I made some rolls with a splash of pumpkin seed oil yesterday. They came out very well. I put a small tray of water in the oven, having read once that it helps with crust formation.

Comment

It’s admittedly a dark art, finding the local newsagent whose morning rolls pass the muster. Ideally you want a roll that still has a slight give on the top, and doesn’t just shatter into mouth cutting debris when pressed.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                      What about two crispbreads with something between them?
                      Indeed. And would a cracker with a piece cheese be an "open faced sandwich"?

Comment

The fact that there are grey areas in the definition of a sandwich does not mean that a burger (not a grey area -
                        clearly a sandwich by every definition) is under dispute.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                          Is a pizza calzone a sandwich?
                          Suppose a pizza is just an open top sandwich as well, in semantic Crazytown.

Comment

Well, one thing we can all be thankful for is that neither McDonald's nor Burger King offer their wares on wooden boards, slates or other such rubbish. And no little buckets of quintuple fried pub chips, either.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              The fact that there are grey areas in the definition of a sandwich does not mean that a burger (not a grey area -
                              clearly a sandwich by every definition) is under dispute.
                              I always thought that a "burger" was the bit of meat / non-meat anyway. Bread never entered the equation.

Comment

Yeah. Burgers in onion gravy and chips seemed to be a popular one with the catering Decision Makers in 80s/90s Fife school canteens. No buns in sight, still eating burgers. And you can put a burger in a sandwich, if you have run out of shitty sweet supermarket burger buns for your barbecue. I guess this is why the Americans have the word patty for the meat. Gives clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                  Well, one thing we can all be thankful for is that neither McDonald's nor Burger King offer their wares on wooden boards, slates or other such rubbish. And no little buckets of quintuple fried pub chips, either.
                                  Amen.

Comment

I'm not sure there's such a thing as an open face sandwich. Even I would baulk at that amount of definition stretching.

Comment

Fair enough, if we're defining "burger" as that disc of processed otherwise inedible bits of animal with other unpleasant stuff mixed in, then I concede that's not a sandwich. Put it between two pieces of bread (of whatever shape) however and you do have a sandwich

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                        I'm not sure there's such a thing as an open face sandwich. Even I would baulk at that amount of definition stretching.
                                        Ahem.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_sandwich

Comment

But that's nonsense. That's just something on bread. The Earl of Sandwich didn't invent that. He invented holding something within bread.

Comment

These people won't listen, SB. They'll be telling you that cheese on toast is a pizza next.

Comment

It's true. Whoever named Welsh Rarebit simply lacked the foresight and marketing nous to call it a Cambrian Toasted Open-Face Mature Cheese Sandwich.

Comment

I cry foul, that sandwich family tree entirely omits Chinese and other Asian "sandwiches." The various forms of Gyoza and filled buns constitute an entire volume of their own.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                  But that's nonsense. That's just something on bread. The Earl of Sandwich didn't invent that. He invented holding something within bread.
                                                  An 'open sandwich' is a twist on the sandwich theme - albeit a fairly stupid one. Food has been known to be adapted, for better or for worse - I mean, I doubt the good Earl was eating Kraft slices on Mother's Pride, either...

(And there's way more to a decent Welsh rarebit than simply melted cheese on toast, but that's for another day.)

Comment

I know Jah, but whilst my pedantic nature might well have incorporated more of the recipe (mustard, egg, whatever) it lost out to my instinct to try to make a serviceable joke out of the comment. This may not have paid off, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X