Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know that you're getting old when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You seem to know what DAB is, which means you're doing better than me.

Comment

Being called "Sir" by... anyone really.

Comment

On a more serious note and without wanting to sound maudlin, I have started thinking recently that when my kids are (probably less than) my age, I'll not be around and Mrs Anorak will probably not be around, unless something drastic happens in the field of immortality.

Comment

Thinking about the fact that I was born just 15 years after the Second World War finished. 15 years. That's nothing.

Comment

Getting to late afternoon and suddenly realising that you've forgotten to switch your mobile phone on.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
              M'colleague next to me has no frame of reference in common with me*. Not even the film "Sneakers", which came out before he was born. Working in IT, I would have expected it to have become a set text by now. The bloke next to him collects old computers, and PFY had no idea how games we loaded into a Spectrum Plus.

Actually, PFY and BOFH was another one.

*Including why I say "m'colleague"
              I referred to Terry Waite in work today and my colleague looked at me blankly. He's only four years younger than me FFS. Like Principal Skinner when he goes looking for Bart at the 4H Club ("Am I so out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong"), I'm finding it hard to believe that not all early-to-mid-thirties types like me devoured The Rock and Roll Years: The 80s when it was on BBC1 in 1994.

As for unwanted hair, I recently inadvertently had my nostrils waxed when I didn't understand the Turkish barber's question "Noss?" and I made a sound hinting at vague agreement. I have to say though, having a cotton bud doused with hot wax shoved up my nose and then ripped out has led to an altogether more pleasant nose-blowing experience.

Comment

I am, of course, long past worrying about any of this stuff. But remember well, a week or two after turning fifty, buying a loaf of bread. The rather attractive early twenty-something behind the counter concluded our transaction by noting that it was Wednesday, "so would I like the seniors' discount?"*

* It's possible I've recounted this episode before. Which is something else that happens as you get older. Bugger it!

Comment

I still dread that day, though I have had younger passengers offer me their seat on the subway.

Comment

In Vegas, 50 seems to be the cut off for 'seniors'. I get discounts at certain stores*. I think it must be thanks to AARP.

*If I ever need a cheap colostomy bag, I am spoiled for choice.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      I still dread that day, though I have had younger passengers offer me their seat on the subway.
                      I've yet to have that happen. But it's rarity in general here. I once offered my seat to an elderly Asian lady, and was glared at by her husband. she refused to accept it of course.

Comment

Still 65 for the half-price MetroCard, which is the only one anyone here really wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Anorak Smith View Post
                          Having to ask Mrs Anorak to read menus in restaurants because, yet again, I've forgotten to bring either my reading glasses, my driving glasses, or the glasses I use at work for the new-fangled VDU thing.
                          I was out for a meal in a group of 8 blokes recently, not one of us had brought glasses and not one of us could read without them. We ended up borrowing a pair from someone at another table.

When you can't remember the last occasion you went a night without having got up for a pee at least once.

Comment

The next stop on that route is never drinking tea or coffee after 6pm. Even a glass of water after about 8pm guarantees more than one night-time trip to the khazi. Fortunately you reach a point where you don't actually have to wake up to get there and back. Unless the dog's in the way, in which case things can get very noisy.

Comment

I can read fine without glasses (I am 48) but it is becoming problematic when i have my glasses on (short sighted)...which makes things a bit problematic at work...Varifocals coming soon...

Not much else to report really, i am in better shape, fitter than when i was in my 30s.

Comment

Ah, varifocals. Went for an eye test recently (the optician is the son of the guy I used to go to, which is an age-warning sign in its own right), he mentioned that he thinks I'll need varifocals at some point.

"Aye, but that's 15 to 20 years away yet?" suggests I.

"Hmmm, more like 5." says the cheeky young bastard.

Comment

I was enquiring after a book at the local library the other day.

"no, the book is out until the 28th I'm afraid."

"any other copies at other branches?"

"no. Wait, there is one but it's in large print I'm afraid."

I snapped it up. It's nice that she thought I was too young to need it and i don't really but I do like to luxuriate in the largeness of a large print book from time to time.

Comment

I had a similar "It's to be expected at your age" experience with my young optician.

I managed to get to 40 without needing glasses, but in 5 years I have now gone from glasses just for reading fine print, to varifocals which I can't really do without.

Comment

I get worried every time I have a cognitive fail, such as forgetting where I parked the car or took off my shoes, but I reassure myself that I was having such fails in my twenties so what's new?

My memory is definitely more selective though. It discards a lot more than it used to so the effect is to speed up time and turn a lot more of daily reality into just background noise.

Comment

...you'd rather read a good book or have a kip than a bit of nookie.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          Still 65 for the half-price MetroCard, which is the only one anyone here really wants.
                                          Ha! That's once place where London's better than New York. It's 60 for a free Oyster card...

Comment

There's a birthday at work today. I was asked to guess the age, I hazarded 21. I felt like Methuselah when they said they were 19.

When you are old enough to be the father of more than one of your coworkers, and not just on a biological basis, you feel the mileage.

Comment

When everything feels like deja vu.

Comment

I just pulled a bright white hair out of my sorry excuse for a beard. That's a first.

Comment

My beard's been white for over a decade...

Comment

Getting the feeling that glasses are more preferable to contact lenses. But not actually wanting to wear glasses for much, as my sit-down, take off glasses to read/look at computer/phone game is getting very strong these days.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X