Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know that you're getting old when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know that you're getting old when...

.... the only items in the post this morning were a SAGA holiday brochure and an invitation to a Hearing & Tinnitus Exhibition (sales pitch) at a local hotel.

Are you going?

Comment

You have to carry a medicine cabinet around with you, I have to take (deep breath ) anti inflammatory tablets for ulcerative colitis, anti reflux tablets, iron supplements, calcium supplements, pills for hypothyroidism, rosacea cream, I've worn glasses since I was 8, they're bifocal now, I've also being issued with hearing aids for the last two years, I'm 53 which I don't think is ancient

Comment

Commercial radio ads. In my niche listening (bit of Motown, maybe 70s rock) they no longer want me to meet people at the local gym or music venue, but at the "community centre". Which is code for scrabble and death.

Comment

Grey pubes. I was officially past it at 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
            Are you going?
            Weeelll, I do suffer from tinnitus…..

There’s no mention though of the complimentary lunch at the same hotel offered by the Financial Planning Seminar mailshots that I also receive regularly.

Comment

Ear hair. That's all I'm saying.

Comment

You're not the only one with tinnitus on here. Please let us know what they had on offer in the event that you are going.

Comment

"And would you like me to trim your eyebrows, sir?" Obviously this first occurred years ago. I've yet to suffer the indignity a friend - 50 like me - suffered recently when his barber first drew his attention to the fact that his ears were now sprouting whiskers.

Arthritis though is the answer I would until recently have thought I wouldn't have had to give for another 10 years at least. If my left arm ever gets as bad as my right then I don't think I'll ever sleep again.

Edit: I see Toby's ear hairs got here first

Comment

I think ear hair is a cross a lot of us have to bear, by the way, getting hearing aids cleared up my tinnitus, not that I'm recommending it as a course of action

Comment

Originally posted by Belhaven View Post
                      You're not the only one with tinnitus on here. Please let us know what they had on offer in the event that you are going.
                      Hopefully it's a ringing endorsement.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                        Do you hear a faint rustling?

"It's like puberty never stops."

Comment

You're interviewing grown, accomplished adults for jobs who were born around the time you first realised you were an adult now.

Comment

Your favourite "late period" album by your favourite band was released in 1989.

Comment

Oh and when someone says something happened in the say, late 1990s and you think "oh, not long ago, then."

Comment

M'colleague next to me has no frame of reference in common with me*. Not even the film "Sneakers", which came out before he was born. Working in IT, I would have expected it to have become a set text by now. The bloke next to him collects old computers, and PFY had no idea how games we loaded into a Spectrum Plus.

Actually, PFY and BOFH was another one.

*Including why I say "m'colleague"

Comment

Sneakers, I liked that film.

Especially when the blind guy leads them to the location of the cocktail party.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                    Oh and when someone says something happened in the say, late 1990s and you think "oh, not long ago, then."
                                    20 and 30 year anniversaries of things you remember really well.

In a slightly different vein, I found out Maureen Lipman's "ology" BT adverts first aired 30 years ago.

Teenagers born this century.

Seeing your favourite band, who are all in their 60s now.

Comment

Talking to a work colleague in his late 30's who, it transpires, was born 3 months after you first started work.

Comment

My old partner used to joke "Please....I have shoes older than you." I currently ride in wearing cherry Docs that are, indeed, older than many people I work with.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                          My old partner used to joke "Please....I have shoes older than you." I currently ride in wearing cherry Docs that are, indeed, older than many people I work with.
                                          Snap. (And I think we may have both mentioned this in some other thread a while back). I too have a pair of cherry red DMs, purchased in 1978 and still going strong. These days they only see active service when it snows heavily.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                            I got an electric ear and nose trimmer. Excellent investment.

Comment

Having to ask Mrs Anorak to read menus in restaurants because, yet again, I've forgotten to bring either my reading glasses, my driving glasses, or the glasses I use at work for the new-fangled VDU thing.

Comment

Icicle Works' Love is a Wonderful Colour was on the wireless at lunchtime... 1984... I turned the radio down, then off, then sat on my own in the car for a while. It's DAB, at least, so I'm down with the kids, aren't I?

Comment

Having just turned 50, I've a few of these. The one I'm struggling with at the moment is realising that I'm probably too old to get fit enough to keep up with the lads I go Mountain Biking with, and that injuries sustained trying to keep up and subsequently falling off, take a lot longer to heal than they did back in the day.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X