Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know that you're getting old when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

275mg (it's naproxen sodium I think). I'm basing my dosage on (a) what the pharmacist said, and (b) this https://www.drugs.com/dosage/naproxe...for_Acute_Gout

Comment

Bingo. That's bang on. Good luck mate. I really do feel for you.

If all else fails, there's always one of these...

(And I'm not even joking. Putting on a shoe with gout is the worst thing I've ever had to do.)

Comment

Aren't you the anti-sandal nazi?

Comment

I prefer to think of myself as shoe revolutionary, rather than a flip flop fascist.

Comment

I'm more of a flip flop fascist. But L dug a pair out of the closet for me to wear on the beach and I put them on in the house to get used to them. Then I had to go get cat food and forgot I had them on. Suddenly I'm a guy in a shop wearing flip flops. Shame doesn't begin to describe it.

Comment

Gout is fucking horrendous. You have my sympathy, ad.

Comment

The way this thread is going, OldTF will no longer be a name for fondly remembered threads of yore but an accurate description of the average poster.

Comment

Commiserations gout sufferers. I'm clearly blessed not to be a sufferer. But I can make sone contributions to the thread:

Oohs and aahs when sitting, standing from sitting, picking things up, bending to tie a shoelace etc.
                  Considering walking the best form of exercise
                  Listening to Radios 2 and 4
                  Admiring old cars you see, even if you thought they were crap in your youth
                  Wind
                  Snoring
                  And did anyone mention poor memory?

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                    Considering walking the best form of exercise
                    I've been doing that since age 27.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                      Listening to Radio 4
                      Oi! It's been my main source of radio since I was a teenager...

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                        The way this thread is going, OldTF will no longer be a name for fondly remembered threads of yore but an accurate description of the average poster.
                        All the kids are on WhatSnapChat anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                          I'm more of a flip flop fascist. But L dug a pair out of the closet for me to wear on the beach and I put them on in the house to get used to them. Then I had to go get cat food and forgot I had them on. Suddenly I'm a guy in a shop wearing flip flops. Shame doesn't begin to describe it.
                          (I've not read much at all in the last few weeks, and I rather fear that the meaning of certain words has changed a bit, so you'll have to bear with me)

You're a flip-flop fascist, yet you, a self-professed miser, not only see nothing wrong with spending money on footwear you despise (and more than once, by the sound of it; you did write "a pair" rather than "the pair" or "my pair"), but are also willing to practise wearing it.

Have I read that right?

Comment

Sits' list works decently as a description of "life" for me.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                              (I've not read much at all in the last few weeks, and I rather fear that the meaning of certain words has changed a bit, so you'll have to bear with me)

You're a flip-flop fascist, yet you, a self-professed miser, not only see nothing wrong with spending money on footwear you despise (and more than once, by the sound of it; you did write "a pair" rather than "the pair" or "my pair"), but are also willing to practise wearing it.

Have I read that right?
                              This is an outrage.

In a fit of insanity 8 years ago, prior to going on a cruise, the lovely and talented Mrs WOM bought me a pair of flip flops at Old Navy 'for you to wear around the deck'. I didn't wear them then and I haven't worn them since. And we've gone on roughly 62 beach vacations in the intervening years. For some reason, she dug them out and insisted they 'be great for the beach', so I acquiesced .... as I do with most bad ideas so as to avoid unnecessary conflict or the perception of ingratitude. I did, for the record, wear them to the beach and they were fine. But I know that doesn't excuse me or absolve me in any way for the pet food store debacle.

I really do need to PM you about our mini golf experience last week.

Actually, I really do need to post about our OBX excitement too.

Comment

In a fit of insanity 8 years ago, prior to going on a cruise, the lovely and talented Mrs WOM bought me a pair of flip flops at Old Navy 'for you to wear around the deck'. I didn't wear them then.
                                And we've gone on roughly 62 beach vacations in the intervening years. For some reason, she dug them out and insisted they 'be great for the beach', so I acquiesced .... as I do with most bad ideas so as to avoid unnecessary conflict or the perception of ingratitude.
                                So you've gone soft and become more ungrateful since 2009, then.

Have I read that right?

Comment

That's harsh, but fair.

Comment

Anyway, mini golf: you get to ride a mining train around the perimeter of the course(s) and up an incline to the first hole. A mining train, treibeis. Think about it. And that's without mentioning the caves, the waterfall or the pirate ship.

Comment

Eight beach vacations a year? I thought you advertising exec's spent all your money on coke?

Comment

Anyway, mini golf: you get to ride a mining train around the perimeter of the course(s) and up an incline to the first hole. A mining train, treibeis. Think about it. And that's without mentioning the caves, the waterfall or the pirate ship.
                                        You sound like The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With's Swedish stepsister, who paid us a visit last week. "Oooh, we were at a crazy golf place in <some Swedish place whose name takes three times longer than it ought to to pronounce> and do you know what? The first hole was in a barn. And then, guess what? The second hole, right, that was in a stable. And the third hole, and you're not going to believe this, was in Farmer Persson's fucking arsecrack ..." And she looked at me, with glazed eyes and a big silly smile on her face, and she obviously thought it was good.

But it isn't. Crazy golf's about giving me money, getting onto the course, getting the lowest score possible and then fucking off sharpish.

That said, I quite like the train idea, although it would have to be based on the German rail system. Incomprehensible ticketing policies, nonsensical zonal systems, overly accurate timetables and a bad-tempered bloke on the platform responsing to every inquiry with "If you want to know that, look at the information board! It says all that on the fucking information board!"
                                        Last edited by treibeis; 11-08-2017, 17:42.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                          Eight beach vacations a year? I thought you advertising exec's spent all your money on coke?
                                          I exaggerate for witty effect. It's at least one, at most two.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                            But it isn't. Crazy golf's about giving me money, getting onto the course, getting the lowest score possible and then fucking off sharpish.
                                            This place took me for $38 (with the coupon!) and we weren't there 45 minute. I even used the khazi, so I got my money's worth.

Comment

This place took me for $38 (with the coupon!) and we weren't there 45 minute. I even used the khazi, so I got my money's worth.
                                              How many people were "we"?

Comment

Two adults, one teen, one kid. As per their price bracketing.

Comment

Two adults, one teen, one kid. As per their price bracketing.
                                                  Pfft. At my barren, caveless, train-free excuse for an al fresco sports & leisure complex, you'd have paid 11.00 euros (or 10.00 euros during the happy hour).

And use of the lavatory would have been free as well (unless Daniel Dan The Lavatory Man had been there, in which case it would still have been free, but you'd have had to answer questions about the course correctly and/or be insulted before gaining admission).

Comment

I expect that you coupon extensively in all the local Hamburg 'Fun Guides'.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X