Nicky Hayden RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicky Hayden RIP

The former Moto GP champion has passed away after crashing into a car on a bike.

There's very little on here about the bikes and I'm just getting back into it. Hayden always came across well and this is tragic news.

Nicky Hayden: Ex-MotoGP champion dies after collision - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/39972058

Nicky Hayden RIP

Very sad news indeed. I remember the season when he won his title, at the height of Valentino Rossi's powers (prevented him from reaching 5 in a row I think?) and his emotion on getting across the finish line. I seem to recall it was his consistency across the season that won him the title....yes, on checking, he won two races that season to Rossi's five, but only had one retirement to the Italian's three.

Comment

Nicky Hayden RIP

That's exactly how I remember it SDR. That's when MOTO GP was really competitive with any one of ten capable of winning races.

Farewell to the Kentucky Kid.

Comment

Nicky Hayden RIP

Remember him wailing emotionally on crossing the line to win the world title, then a spectator came out of the crowd and gave him an enormous pyrotechnic to light. Wore his heart on his sleeve that season, he looked properly upset when his team mate Pedrosa took him out at the penultimate round.

Comment

Nicky Hayden RIP

That is such a horribly ironic way for him to go. So sad.
          He must have been very good if even I've heard of him. That kind of motorcycle racing isn't very big here.

Comment

Nicky Hayden RIP

Which is funny because the US has historically contributed far, far more to Grand Prix motorcycle racing than Grand Prix motor racing.

Phil Hill and Mario Andretti versus Kenny Roberts, Freddie Spencer, Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey, Kevin Schwantz, Kenny Roberts Jr and Nicky. John Kocinski won a 250cc title as well.

From 1983-1993 an American won the 500cc title every year bar one.

I always perk up when I hear about an American doing anything in world motorsport and in the 2000s the list of successes began and ended with Nicky Hayden. 35 is too damn young.

Comment

Nicky Hayden RIP

RIP
              Regretably, as things stand, two-wheel vehicles are too dangerous to be considered as a rational mode of transportation.

Comment

Nicky Hayden RIP

Vulgarian Visigoth wrote: Regretably, as things stand, two-wheel vehicles are too dangerous to be considered as a rational mode of transportation.
                I'd argue that four-wheel vehicles are too dangerous to consider two-wheel vehicles as a rational mode of transportation. And it also doesn't hold in all countries.

Comment

Nicky Hayden RIP

Flynnie wrote: Which is funny because the US has historically contributed far, far more to Grand Prix motorcycle racing than Grand Prix motor racing.

Phil Hill and Mario Andretti versus Kenny Roberts, Freddie Spencer, Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey, Kevin Schwantz, Kenny Roberts Jr and Nicky. John Kocinski won a 250cc title as well.

From 1983-1993 an American won the 500cc title every year bar one.

I always perk up when I hear about an American doing anything in world motorsport and in the 2000s the list of successes began and ended with Nicky Hayden. 35 is too damn young.
                  I suspect that motocross is more popular here than road bike racing, but I'm not sure. I used to work with a guy who was way into road racing and did it on an amateur level and he told me that it's not very well organized or marketed in the US. But that was a while ago.

Comment

Nicky Hayden RIP

69 seconds of silence today at Mugello to remember Nicky Hayden.

Comment

Working...
                    X