The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
    Corbyn going with "indefinite half way house"- does that mean he's going to back Remain?
    Going for a GE, I'd suggest.

Comment

He's done that for ages. What's the policy in the general election? Why can't we know what it would be now?

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
        Fine. I have to go on what politicians actually say as, I don't have access to the voices inside your head.
        Seriously Nef...

Comment

Gove has gone to ground, apparently with a personal emergency.

Beth Rigby looks all understanding and then says a bit later he's a "politician and a tactician". Ha ha.

Comment

Pretending to have toothache, like John Major in 1990?

Comment

Gove has gone to ground, apparently with a personal emergency.
              He's lost his spine?

Comment

A GE won’t change a thing with the Brexit issue, there is no Labour version of Brexit (as they have rejected EEA because of their « legitimate concerns » voters) that will take shape sparkingly, the EU has gone as far as they could go to accomodate the UK.

How can Labour even begin to push for their reforms and changes when there is no certainty as to anything that lies ahead, it’s like someone putting forwards plans to build a house with an ongoing flood…

Brexit issue first, all else is a waste of time at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                  He's lost his spine?
                  To lose it he would have had to have one in the first place.

Comment

Cumbria's local action man Rory the Tory is tipped for promotion to the cabinet and has obviously been sent out to support May in the media, producing this gem:

Rory Stewart has apologised after making up a Brexit statistic during an interview on BBC Radio 5 Live.

Speaking to presenter Emma Barnett, the justice minister claimed that 80% of the British public supported the prime minister’s Brexit deal.

Pressed as to where he had got the information, he said: “I’m producing a number to illustrate what I believe.”

He later added, “I totally apologise and I take that back”.

Reckon he'll go far in this clusterfuck of a government.

Comment

Fancies himself as a latter-day Lawrence of Arabia? Send him off as envoy to MB Salman

Comment

How are we supposed to get from This being voted down to a general election? It should be completely obvious at this point that the only reason that Theresa may does anything is to cling onto power as long as is humanly possible. All of this nonsense that is up for a vote now, was agreed last december. It's happening now at the last minute because Theresa May simply stalled the whole thing for nearly a year, until there was no time left. She can't believe a single word that she's saying. It's all nonsense, but she says it because she is simply stalling for time. If she has to step down, she will have remained prime minister for two years. The person who takes over from her will do exactly the same thing. And the Tories will vote whatever way that they're going to vote on the EU, but not to have an election. Same with the DUP.

There's a large amount of Underpants gnomes about the whole thing. The other thing is is there anything to suggest that an election would result in a Labour Govt? Yhe thing is that literally the only brexit policy that is remotely rooted in reality, is to push for a referendum. There isn't going to be a different deal for Labour, just because they're not the tories. This is it. Pretending that it might be otherwise isn't enough. If you go to 14.30 here you'll hear hilary benn not doing a great job of explaining the labour position. Aine Lawlor really isn't impressed. The Labour position seems ludicrous to Irish people. It just doesn't make any sense.

Comment

http://twitter.com/BBCNormanS/status/1063072940743376897

Comment

It's pretty likely that it will result in a Labour government - otherwise the Tories would have an election by now. I think most people really fucking hate the Tories.

Hilary Benn wants to make sure there's not a General Election. He's about as close to McDonnell as say Arlene Foster. He's a lousy politician.

And Aine Lawlor seems to be using the same song sheet as the BBC. Corbyn the Brexiteer. The Brexiteer who voted remain and says he would vote remain again. She repeatedly misquoted Corbyn. The Labour Party have every right and indeed an obligation to bring down the government if they can. Then extend Article 50 and Send of Keir Starmer,. This must have been war-gamed already by all sides.

Unlike other EU Citizens Irish people have the vote here I believe.

I listened onto hear George Watson from the Financial Times- someone I've never heard on the BBC
                            Last edited by Nefertiti2; 15-11-2018, 15:03.

Comment

There's probably a fair few more EU citizens who are now also British citizens than in 2016 & 2017. Not evenly spread, mind.

Comment

The Tories had an election last year. They couldn't easily hold one now.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                  Pretending to have toothache, like John Major in 1990?
                                  Wasn't that genuine?

Comment

He had a wisdom tooth removed. Genuine, (probably) but could have been arranged.

Comment

It was elective treatment that was very handy to have scheduled, but was eminently reschedulable.

Comment

Apparently Osborne was misinformed about Gove...

https://twitter.com/ShehabKhan/status/1063087799564451840

Comment

As baffled as TMB about how we get to a GE from here.

Comment

Also, how big a majority would Corbyn need for his version of a Brexit deal to pass the commons?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                                              Also, how big a majority would Corbyn need for his version of a Brexit deal to pass the commons?
                                              Can't imagine either the Lib Dems or the SNP would back him.

Comment

He wouldn't have time to get his version of a Brexit deal through the Commons.

Comment

Everything including the Gove plan is based on extending article 50

Comment

By a couple of years?

Good luck with that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X