No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see today's policy was the "Lichtenstein solution".

It can be added to the Norway Solution, The Switzerland Solution, The Turkey Solution, The Jersey Solution that don't seem to be solutions at all. Is there a Vatican City Solution?

Comment

Don't worry, there'll be a Final Solution...

Comment

I'm quite surprised the crass oafs in charge haven't blundered into that trope yet.

Comment

Fox wasn't as bumptious as usual on the news just now, his "no winners in a trade war" line sounding more like a plaintive, "it's not fair!"

Not that his world view repeatedly being exposed as a vainglorious fantasy ever seems to have an effect on the matter to hand.

Comment

Fox wasn't as bumptious as usual on the news just now, his "no winners in a trade war" line sounding more like a plaintive, "it's not fair!
            This is him trying to undermine the EU, which naturally wants to retaliate against the US tariffs.

Comment

Good point. I was making the mistake of attributing a tiny amount of self awareness to him there.

Comment

Does he think of Brexit as a trade war, I wonder?

Comment

First Item on RTE news, is the drowning of two teenagers in a quarry in Ennis. The Second Item is Trump and his tariffs war, and then at the end of an bit by Tony connelly, there is a final question about this, and he says it has lead to widespread bafflement in Brussels, and is seen as just another phase in the internal row within the Tory party. This plan was apparently mentioned in a report by the Legatum institute last september. TC referred to them as "A right wing thinktank that hold views on Europe."

Oh god here's john Bruton. Ireland's dopiest gobshite.

Comment

A cartographer has calculated that Ireland would effectively be annexing Derry, Enniskillen, Armagh and Newry:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ManAboutC...85602661687296

Comment

These Legatum people seem to have credibility with the Hard Brexiters in the Tory Party. Is May working her way through their ideas with a view to calling Foxy, Davis and Johnson in one day?

"Gentlemen, I gave you the three relevant Brexit posts. I let you punt what the Legatum Institute said. And you've all failed."

It would be like Clive Lloyd speaking to Jumadeen, Imtiaz Ali and Padmore after the Port of Spain disaster.

Comment

Tubbs, Tubbs. Always expecting last minute rational thinking from your Betters.

Comment

But I get a pass on the cricket reference?

Comment

So, the UK essentially has until the World Cup kick-off to present a solution that passes muster:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...ssue-1.3516829

Comment

If May is planning on England's thrilling World Cup success story to distract the public from the collapse of Brexit talks, she may have actually outdone the rest of Brexiteer nonsense in the triumph of hope over reality.

Comment

From another forum.

Ladies and gentlemen. I had a sudden realisation and I think I have solved the Brexit problem.

The solution is as such:
                                Change nothing of substance. The UK stays in the EU just as it is today.
                                No, what you change is just marketing and communication.
                                After Brexit the European Union will be called the "British Empire" inside of the UK. The Queen can just read Junker's statements as if they were her own (after some quick "find and replace") and I'm entirely certain the European Union British Empire will have unprecedented popularity within the UK. The BBC will just have to invest in CGI software to be able to quickly edit videos to switch EU flags/logos with the UK one when they do reportages on the continent, no big deal.
                                For example, when Merkel goes to Washington to talk to Trump the BBC can just report "Her Majesty the Queen's Imperial Governor-General of the Germanic colonies visited the rebel colonies to deliver a stern talk down to Secessionist Leader Donald J Trump"
                                If the BBC has to show an EU naval mission headed by the French Charles De Gaulle Carrier, they can just switch the French/EU flags with an UK one, rename the carrier "Winston Churchill" and call it a day...

But what happens when brexiters go to continental europe you ask? Well that's the genius of it, those people don't really travel, at worst we'll just have to build a mini British Empire theme park in Spain for UK retirees to maintain the illusion.

It's a win-win. Continentals get to keep the EU at maximum power and not spend years haggling new deals with the UK and brexiters get to live their fantasy of living in a real and powerful empire again!
                                I've got to say it's more credible and plausible than anything coming from David Davis.

Comment

I think this is what the young people call “ a burn”

https://twitter.com/dphinnemore/status/1002793820818497536

Comment

Faisal Islam can go one better:
                                    "Government* offers personalised 11-page Brexit impact scan for millions of small businesses..."

*Dutch government, that is.

https://mobile.twitter.com/faisalisl...74611586379776

Comment

"On paper Like". Our source is from Cork. Not Simple Simon, It's too cork for him. but definitely from Cork.

Comment

The rebranding idea is one i joked about a few times on Twitter, based on my assumptions tvat the intersection of a Venn diagram of EU bad and Empire good would be a very crowded place....

Comment

Comment

IDS spectacular stupidity yet again on display...it almost makes you wish for that scenario to play out so he could hung from a lampost with impunity....

Comment

What do they think that leaving the customs Union means? In 2014 2.1 million trucks went either way through dover. Imagine what happens when you have to check those? Now bear in mind that the number rose to 2.6 million in 2016.

Comment

They. Don’t. Care.

You can’t reason with them. Facts don’t matter anymore.

Comment

It's positioning for after when May has to make a humiliating deal. Apart from IDS who believes the stuff Gove and Johnson come out with.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                                    It's positioning for after when May has to make a humiliating deal. Apart from IDS who believes the stuff Gove and Johnson come out with.
                                                    Speaking of Gove:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...brexit-uk-news

Comment

Working...
                                                    X