X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC estimate potential max fac cost of £20 billion:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

Comment

Is that counting paying for all the extra penpushers that the nanny state loving Brexiters want to use to drown us all in red tape?

Comment

Even worse than nanny state. These "bureaucrats" will be asking awkward questions about tax.

Comment

Reassuring response from the Government.

Jessica Elgot

@jessicaelgot
          Downing Street rejects HMRC chief's assessment of customs models, says full details are still being worked on “therefore any speculation about implementation is just that." Says "work is ongoing, anything else is therefore hypothetical."

16:14 - 23 May 2018
          Roughly translated- we've no idea, it could be more than £20bn.

Comment

Behind Telegraph paywall, but Matthew Goodwin has apparently gone a bit further down the Reece Dinsdale road. Look at Italy, eh? Not just us that's unhappy with this EU and immigration lark.

"Give me my marker. Tell me where I stand", he added.

Comment

Was he invited to that lunch in the City with one of the Lega’s nuttiest nutters?

Comment

He was too busy duffing Wappers.

Comment

A sitcom/film/multi-series box set featuring contrarian well-paid hard-right 'opinion formers' from across the continent would be something I'd pay good money for. Imagine Taki, Guido, Fraser Nelson, Brendan O'Neill and the likes forming a motley crew giving it large in Vienna or Budapest until some local faces properly mug them off

Comment

I doubt it Tubbs, all the people who are used to asking awkward questions about tax are leaving the department as it exits the big towns to hide in the bigger cities.

Comment

Popcorn time, as the CU and SM amendments return to the Commons in June:

https://mobile.twitter.com/faisalisl...33486057148416

https://mobile.twitter.com/faisalisl...36031718690817

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                        A sitcom/film/multi-series box set featuring contrarian well-paid hard-right 'opinion formers' from across the continent would be something I'd pay good money for. Imagine Taki, Guido, Fraser Nelson, Brendan O'Neill and the likes forming a motley crew giving it large in Vienna or Budapest until some local faces properly mug them off
                        All coming together, one big firm for the World Cup.

Comment

Some cunt’s slashed Taki! ‘Av it!

Comment

Taki would be known simply as "The Greek" if they were a proper firm. And much bantz would follow from that

Comment

Corbyn is just as frustrating as May at this point - wants to avoid a hard Border, but will only go as far as an unspecified relationship with the Single Market, which is all rather nebulous.

Comment

Nah, he's really not, because he isn't in charge. It's really astonishing how utterly unprepared the Tories are.

He could use to be disabused of the notion that his as radical-as-Belgium-maybe social democratic programme is somehow incompatible with the single market though.

Comment

JRM possibly admitting defeat on the CU:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8367001.html

Comment

It's a select committee, and MPs tend to be sensible/compliant on those. Rees Mogg would have to set out some sort of plan if he dissented.

Doesn't mean he won't start talking grandstanding bollocks five minutes later in the media.

Comment

all he's really saying is that they might have to stay in the customs union for a little bit because they have done nothing at all. It's not much of a concession

Comment

The HMRC answer on the cost of MaxFac appears to have caught them out badly.

Comment

all he's really saying is that they might have to stay in the customs union for a little bit because they have done nothing at all. It's not much of a concession
                                          It is for JRM. He's been perfectly willing to ignore reality before.

Comment

He'll ignore what he's signed up to here, as well.

Comment

We're on the road to nowhere:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...official-warns

Comment

I was gorging on some FT Brexit podcasts the other day and it's astonishing how ill-prepared the UK is. Journalists, academics, lawyers, trade and union reps appearing are all basically saying the same variation of "We don't think they have planned for anything or have any idea really of what they want".

I know that isn't really news to anyone, but what surprised me is they feel exactly the same as us, despite it literally being their job to be clued in on a level us laymen can't hope to achieve.

Comment

Hahahahaha

The UK will just build it's own GPS system if they aren't allowed to play with Galileo.

Comment

I like that the Guardian's lede is that Hammond has "warned" Brussels, as if it'll bother them in the slightest.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X