No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given the non-binding nature of the referendum, I'm not sure what the expat action could hope to achieve. If the vote were formally invalidated, it wouldn't make any difference, legally. And if it's a question of politics, then an EU court ruling is hardly going to persuade anyone.

Comment

Global Britain latest.

Cecilia Malmström
      ‏Verified account
      @MalmstromEU
      7h7 hours ago
      More
      Important milestone today - we start the ratification process for our agreements with Japan ���� (biggest ever trade deal) and Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
        Given the non-binding nature of the referendum, I'm not sure what the expat action could hope to achieve. If the vote were formally invalidated, it wouldn't make any difference, legally. And if it's a question of politics, then an EU court ruling is hardly going to persuade anyone.
        Since we have no other options over here as disenfranchised citizens of nowhere we have to do what we can to remind the scum who are running Brexit that we still exist and we're fucked off

Comment

Anyway, this seems like positive news http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit...s-union-2018-4

Comment

Government have lost a Lords vote on the Customs Union by miles.

24 Tory rebels, including the Duke of Wellington.

Comment

He does like Belgium.

Comment

And presumably wasn't born in a stable.

Comment

Unintentionally comical subhead from the FT:
                  Davis urges May to publish detailed plan for EU ties ahead of Brussels
                  Setting out proposals early is seen as a way to seize the initiative from Barnier
                  Not sure I'd describe 13 months after the article 50 notice as "early".

Comment

Jesus Christ, it's even worse than that. They're talking about maybe having a position paper ahead of the June meeting. For a framework agreement that is supposed to be completely ready by October so the withdrawal agreeement (still nowhere near finalised!) can be voted on ahead of March 2019.
                    Also, I love that this "detailed" paper Davis is keen to have ready is "more than 50 pages". The draft withdrawal agreement alone is 129 pages. The EU/Japan FTA is 562 pages. How long do you think a "Canada plus plus plus" agreement would need to be?

“The more general it is, the easier it would be to get through cabinet,” said one person close to the discussions. “There is obviously some tension around how much detail we can agree."
                    For fuck's sake you morons. If you don't agree on something, anything, you're just going to have terms dictated to you. I cannot believe what a shitshow this government is, even given my extremely low expectations.

Comment

Probably not as low as those of the other EU govts.

So just as the UK sits down to discuss the future arrangements with the EU, they're throwing Caribbean Grand parents out of the country, the Anti-Fraud wing of the EU is suing them for over £2 billion for facilitating a chinese smuggling operation, and now this.

Comment

That race-to-the-top in action...

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                          Government have lost a Lords vote on the Customs Union by miles.

24 Tory rebels, including the Duke of Wellington.
                          Commons vote due next week:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-customs-union

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                            And the EU crank up the pressure:

https://mobile.twitter.com/gavreilly...79834579894273

Comment

The U.K. has indicated during talks that the bloc’s “backstop” option that keeps Northern Ireland in a “common regulatory area” with the EU should apply to the whole of the U.K., according to three people familiar with the EU side of the negotiations. It would mean the whole U.K. stays in parts of the single market and customs union as a last resort.

That won’t work for the European Commission, which wants to offer that special status only to Northern Ireland. If Prime Minister Theresa May is to reverse her decision and keep the U.K. in a customs union, this can’t be done simply by applying the Northern Ireland model to the rest of the U.K.
                              It's not clear to me whether this whole-UK CRA is a new offer or just an elaboration of the UK's previous extremely narrow reading of what regulatory alignment means (ie separate legal regimes but an equivalence/mutual recognition framework with some kind of dispute resolution mechanism). If the latter, I don't blame the EU for knocking it down. If it's the former, then I hope it's just hardball tactics.

Comment

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...ource/63848351

Automaker Nissan will lay off hundreds of workers from its car plant in Sunderland in northeast England due to a sharp fall in diesel car sales, a source close to the company told AFP on Friday.
                                Doesn't specify Brexit, but probably hasn't helped.

Comment

To be fair, I'm willing to give this one to diesel. Sales have fallen off a cliff over the last year.

Comment

Dublin orders the world's largest ro-ro ferry to bypass the UK:

http://www.thejournal.ie/ship-launch...69187-Apr2018/

Comment

Yeah, that's fair.

Comment

Grayling is a bit of a bore on Brexit, but he makes a worrying point here, if accurate.

@acgrayling
                                        Follow Follow @acgrayling
                                        More
                                        Just met with Keir Starmer. Nice chap. But no support for People’s Vote, & ‘a meaningful vote in Parliament’ does not have Remain as an option but ‘go & negotiate again.’ - So: not good enough. Labour’s position is still functionally Tory on Brexit.
                                        I think Starmer is correct to swerve Remain, but "Go and negotiate again" is a load of nonsense. Why should the EU bother to do it all again to help us?

Comment

Of course it's accurate. It's been obvious from the start that the "meaningful vote" is not meaningful.

Comment

The Guardian's editorial seems a good analysis of the realpolitik of the situation:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-alchemy-fails

Comment

A new FTA has been signed between the EU and Mexico:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-782_en.htm

Comment

Global Britain.

Hopefully, Mexico will be on the phone to Liam Fox. "Foxy, old boy, of course we want a deal with global Britain! You get free trade, not like those protectionist EU folk! We've got lots of great stuff we want to sell you!"

Comment

The unravelling of Lexiter Larry continues apace

I think it's worth noting that comments have been left closed under this one. Two weeks ago it was a whinge that complained that the lower level of free trade in services compared to goods in the Single market was evidence of a systematic favouring of Germany. Last week it was an I told you so about the need for a new type of economics, that was extremely difficult to follow. Now it's Could Donald Trump's lone ranger approach provide the silver bullet?

I mean fuck me. This is just a mess.

Comment

The fuck does he think is possible? Fucking eejit.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X