No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish, but I know that my parents were both born in London and I think theirs were as well, although I do keep meaning to research the family tree a little more thoroughly.

TBH, Ireland might be our best bet come what may. Have they given any indication will be happening re: Ireland/UK work permits after March of next year, or do you guys just become "furriners" along with everybody else? I could have sworn that there haven't been any restrictions in place for a period of time that considerably pre-dates Brexit/EU Freedom of Movement/Whatever.

Comment

TAB - I've just made contact with my Irish birth-mother (in Laois, for some texture and colour). What'd be my chances of getting citizenship now?

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post
        TAB - I've just made contact with my Irish birth-mother (in Laois, for some texture and colour). What'd be my chances of getting citizenship now?
        Well technically you are an Irish citizen, and always have been, whether you knew it or not. You're just applying for a passport. The challenge for someone in your position is being able to lay your hands on enough paperwork to demonstrate the link with your birth parent, and you seem to be a long way down that road. The Irish govt can't be very fussy about dealing with people in precisely your position when their predecessors worked so hard to bury the paper trail for so many people. A quick call to the Embassy or consulate should quickly tidy up exactly what you need. The other thing as well is that if your adoptive parents or grandparents were Irish, then you would also be eligible through that route as well.

Ian, Ireland and the UK's free travel and work area dates back to Irish independence, and isn't tied up in the EU. People from the UK will be able to move here and work even if Hard Brexit turns into full blown sanctions. (Warning this offer is only good for the first 2 million english people moving here. after that things genuinely will start to get a bit crowded)

it's also always worth having a root around to see where your grandparents actually were from because unless you actually go looking, in this sort of discussion actual details are really all that matters. Even if your Granny emigrated to the UK at six months old and never set foot outside of her town for the rest of her life, that's enough for an EU passport.
        Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 13-03-2018, 15:54.

Comment

There would be a somewhat lovely irony in Ireland becoming overpopulated because of Migration from Britain thanks to shitty racist UK government policy.

Comment

Ian, Ireland and the UK's free travel and work area dates back to Irish independence, and isn't tied up in the EU. People from the UK will be able to move here and work even if Hard Brexit turns into full blown sanctions. (Warning this offer is only good for the first 2 million english people moving here. after that things genuinely will start to get a bit crowded)
            I read that there are 280,000 living there currently, so I can probably hang on for a year or two while I get the rest of my catastrophic life sorted out.

Comment

Much as we, er, love the, er, Brits, not sure I want 2 million of them rocking up on the auld sod.

A more diverse mix would be massively preferable...

Comment

It's hard actually to say how many UK born people are living here, because if you and NHH were to move here, you would both be counted differently. I'm not sure that NHH would appear in our migration statistics.

The three largest groups of migrants to Ireland in no particular order are Polish people, English people with no connection to ireland, and the english born children of Irish migrants. The last group aren't really counted as migrants at all.
                Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 13-03-2018, 16:00.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                  There would be a somewhat lovely irony in Ireland becoming overpopulated because of Migration from Britain thanks to shitty racist UK government policy.
                  I wonder if Irish people's reaction to migration will change when the number of people on the island hits the level it was at in 1841. We're 1.8 million short of where we were as an island, and only at the levels of the 1851 census.

Comment

I got a copy of my maternal grandmother's birth cert recently. She was born in Ireland as her father was occupying it at the time.

Comment

I took my number from here:

https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many...-eu-countries/

It's not a perfect science, though, calculating these numbers, by the looks of it.

Probably all a pipe dream, though.

Gonzo: to hit that 2m number would require one and a half times the number of UK-born people moving to Ireland than are already spread across the whole of the EU. I wouldn't be panicking that we're going to recolonise just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                        I got a copy of my maternal grandmother's birth cert recently. She was born in Ireland as her father was occupying it at the time.
                        That counts, That definitely counts. You'd have to apply to the register of foreign births, though because it's a grandparent.

Comment

You should be getting a commission, TAB

Comment

It's the duty of every true Irishman to try and help protect people against the stupidity of the English establishment Ursus.

Comment

I'd laugh if the idea of being stripped of so many rights in return for a time machine that doesn't work back to an era that never existed didn't feel like such an affront.

Comment

More details

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...h_citizen.html

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...r_descent.html
                                Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 13-03-2018, 18:07.

Comment

Just hold off on the exodus till I can find a new gaff lads. Coming over here, pushing up our rental prices..

Comment

Did you say you lived near Balbriggan Spoony?If so we have a 'thon venue when I'm in town for the May cricket at Malahide

Comment

Nah, too cool for the sticks DG. Inner City Life in D8 for now. Though might be in fucking Laois by June the way the housing market is. If I’m about though, aye, would be up for a pint.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                                        I took my number from here:

https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many...-eu-countries/

It's not a perfect science, though, calculating these numbers, by the looks of it.

Probably all a pipe dream, though.

Gonzo: to hit that 2m number would require one and a half times the number of UK-born people moving to Ireland than are already spread across the whole of the EU. I wouldn't be panicking that we're going to recolonise just yet.
                                        It was a joke, mainly.

Classic Brit 'sense of humour fail'.

Comment

Keep making friends, Gonzo.

Comment

If you wanna live in Ireland, leave the whole stuffy, pompous, Self-righteous mindset at home, we have enough of those Eejits already.

Comment

You can't talk like that here either. not without people judging you.

Comment

Not in the circles I mix in.
                                                No-one is that up themselves.

Comment

It’s like old times with Luke R randomly posting (and civilly!) on the French thread and now this Classic Gonzo. All we need now is a Toro/just about anyone Thread Vietnam.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                                    The other thing as well is that if your adoptive parents or grandparents were Irish, then you would also be eligible through that route as well.
                                                    Care to adopt me?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X