No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starmer asking where May is and saying the cause is May ruling out Customs union and Single market and reckless red lines.

And that a very weak Prime Minister has given the DUP a veto

Think it's smart that Labour is using Parliament for its opposition.

Comment

Hmmm. Davis trolling the opposition about customs union/single market, but is pointedly not explicitly defending it as a red line, in response to multiple opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
        Think it's smart that Labour is using Parliament for its opposition.
        I know it won't happen, but it would be funny if the seven Sinn Fein MPs decided now was the time to do the same and tipped the scales that little bit further.

Comment

Meanwhile, Bern and Copenhagen have offered advice to the warring islanders. Switzerland has warned of a backlash if Northern Ireland is penalised but the Danes reassure that once the South concedes two or three times, their supporters will give up and go home

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
            Apart from being neither UK-wide, mainstream nor really campaigning, fair points

Anyway there are at least two
            The SNP are a national party now?
            Fair enough.

And at least Ireland's a country. What's the North's excuse, besides sucking from the British teat?

Comment

Ha. Hugo Swire doing the "Nice country you've got there" schtick with Ireland. Brexit is really making people show their true colours.

Comment

Antoinette Sandbach, a Conservative, says thousands of jobs in her constituency depend on regulatory alignment. Can we have that for the whole of the UK?
                She's an underrated sensible Remainer. She's got big pharma round her.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                  Brexit is really making people show their true colours

Comment

Except that's part of Ireland, not Deutschland. That and been reproduced on various previous occasions. It was as unfunny then as it is now.

Comment

Ha ha.

Sylvia Hermon, the independent MP for North Down, says the DUP do not speak for everyone on Northern Ireland. Will Davis explain how May’s plans will benefit the whole of the UK. She says she was embarrassed about what happened to May as a result of the DUP’s actions.

Comment

Hermon nearly lost her previously huge majority to the DUP in June.

Should have joined her Tory pals when she had the chance eh?

Comment

Hermon nearly lost her previously huge majority to the DUP in June.

Should have joined her Tory pals when she had the chance eh?
                          Careful, DG, your orange slip is showing!

Comment

Yes I thought your preferred political shade was Green these days...

Comment

So, Davis says the whole UK could be in "regulatory alignment" with the CU - maybe Arlene did the RoI a favour after all!

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                Lots of DUP apparently retweeting Ruth Davidson.
                                I'm having difficulty following the 3D chess at this stage. Probably because it isn't 3D chess, but some form of Ultonian tiki-taka.

Two scenarios for what is going on here:

(Scenario 1) Moderate unionists are pissed off at the DUP and have spent the night abusing DUP MPs on the phone, making it known that they want no hard borders at all, neither to the south nor to the east (or west, for the pedants out there). Only way to make this work is for all of UK to remain in single market. DUP now trying to respin their position as saving the integrity of the United Kingdom and Britishness of NI by keeping all of the UK in the single market. (Which goes against their pro-hard Brexit and Dublin can lump it stance from the past months, but whatever). This scenario would also put Varadkar's speech from yesterday into context, as it was clearly telegraphed to saner unionists in NI (Varadkar said Ireland prefers no hard borders at all, least of all on the Irish Sea). Saner unionists more willing to listen Varadkar than Kenny, with Varadkar being a conservative and a non-catholic.

(Scenario 2) DUP thinks May is too light touch, and are now stirring the shit in order to get her forced out and replaced by some psycho like Boris Johnson, who would gladly exit from the EU on WTO terms and allow the DUP to erect a southern wall, thus creating work opportunities for the important Norn Iron mural industry for decades to come.
                                Last edited by anton pulisov; 05-12-2017, 13:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Dav O'Roso View Post
                                  Except that's part of Ireland, not Deutschland. That and been reproduced on various previous occasions. It was as unfunny then as it is now.
                                  I liked Lahmreich

Comment

Are you drunk already DR? I have grudging respect for all traditions in Ireland- so no Orange undies but I do buy tricolor bog roll

Comment

Peston claiming Davidson Foster and Gibraltar Prime Minister apparently standing shoulder to shoulder and moving against May. Though hard to figure out how that (which seems to involve staying in the Customs Union) plays out with Rees Mogg and co

Comment

I have grudging respect for all traditions in Ireland- so no Orange undies but I do buy tricolor bog roll
                                        At least spell it right FFS. And shouldn't this paper be green, or at least as recycled as all your various attempts at 'comedy'?

Comment

I like the idea of Ultonian tiki-taka- from McGinniesta and Xhusi Aarono?

Comment

Like I said. You need to get out more.

Comment

I think it's like Spanish tiki-taka, but involves stringing together as many headers in a row as possible.

Comment

Is Gonzo back?

Comment

Soft Brexit, as a first step to long term reallignment, does have some history on the Right- see Richard North and Christopher Booker. Proper Right too, the sort of people who cheered Chris Patten losing his seat.

Could it be a runner for the Tory Party as a whole?

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
                                                    I think it's like Spanish tiki-taka, but involves stringing together as many headers in a row as possible.
                                                    It looks more like Peter Kay doing keepy uppy off the John Smiths advert.

But it could just be 3D chess.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X