No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert Jenrick, Tory MP for Newark (where he replaced Patrick Mercer who had to resign over corruption):

We need to do Brexit because it'll be embarrassing if we don't. And I thought it was funny in The Thick Of It where they buy a small bank out of embarrassment.

Comment

Yes, like shitting in your hotel bed but getting on with sleep rather than risk embarrassing yourself by calling the front desk who would come and replace the sheets for free.

Comment

Personal experience, Bryan?

Brexit actually makes me feel like somebody else has shit in the bed, but I have to sleep in it. Meanwhile the person who shit in the bed insists on telling me that my bed will be far nicer in the long run and that it's happened now and that I have no right to moan.

Comment

Lots of the bedshitters have given up telling us things are going to be better. The main defence of Brexit now is that it's happening.

Comment

I'd agree with him about the social fractures if it weren't for the fact they already exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
              Lots of the bedshitters have given up telling us things are going to be better. The main defence of Brexit now is that it's happening.
              Yes, the stools are starting to fall but people couldn't be arsed moving to the toilet because they've been promised 350 sets of new sheets a week.

Comment

They don't even believe the 350 sheets anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
                  Yes, like shitting in your hotel bed but getting on with sleep rather than risk embarrassing yourself by calling the front desk who would come and replace the sheets for free.
                  When you have a presentation in the morning. no spare clothes and no shower.

Comment

Anyway the Eu have set up a „Brexit Preparedness Group“ to prepare for no deal brexit (in german)

Comment

Brexit can't be going well. Today's Tory Brexit defender is Michael Howard.

The bill which he'd said wouldn't be this much now good value because it's less than we paid in the past.

Comment

Has anyone started adding a figure for all the stuff we'll have to pointlessly duplicate on to the bill yet?

Comment

These unnecessary duplications are going to stand there for all time as an ongoing waste of money. I wonder if May's not trying to get out of her ECJ hardline. IDS and all have reasserted their opposition, having suddenly discovered that £50bn is perfectly OK, but are they going to bring May down over it?

Comment

My favourite FBU Lexiter (albeit one who likes Brendan O'Neill and doesn't like Stop Funding Hate) thinks he's been clever.

Paul Embery‏
                            @PaulEmbery
                            Follow Follow @PaulEmbery
                            The Left in the 80s: 'Thatcher wants to increase unemployment because, as we all know, an over-supply of labour keeps wages low.'

The Left now: 'An over-supply of labour caused by free movement won't depress wages because more people ultimately means more demand in the economy.'
                            Let's not look at evidence about wages. Let's work via what we think some unidentified group might have said 30 years ago, and assume they were correct, so use the same "logic". That's the way to settle policy.

He's got another zinger too.

Paul Embery‏
                            @PaulEmbery
                            23h23 hours ago
                            More
                            Imagine the UK were not in the Single Market & Customs Union now. And we were invited to join on existing terms, meaning a £9bn annual contribution and acceptance of endless regulations, free movement, ECJ jurisdiction etc.
                            Who in their right mind would campaign for a yes vote?
                            Wherein we're assumed to have grown at the same rate as now for 43 years, had the same relations with Ireland in that time, and never had an unfettered Priti Patel government win an election and wipe out these "endless regulations".

Comment

Paul does "multiculturalism" too.

Comment

Thatcher's preferred method of keeping wages low was battering trade unions, as anyone in the movement would surely be aware

Comment

So this happened today.

The last I remember, Ian Duncan Smith was a tory party leader so spectacularly fucking useless that he didn't even get to lead the party into an election. How did he get to become important again, and shouldn't nigel lawson be in a home now?
                                  Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 03-12-2017, 17:56.

Comment

What is the point of the two year transition period? To squeeze in another general election just before the economy collapses?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                      So this happened today.

The last I remember, Ian Duncan Smith was a tory party leader so spectacularly fucking useless that he didn't even get to lead the party into an election. How did he get to become important again, and shouldn't nigel lawson be in a home now?
                                      And the existing special status of Irish citizens in the UK now appears to be at risk:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-in-uk-at-risk

Comment

For fuck sake I’m going to end up deported in some reciprocal move, carried off in chains from my desk, sent back to a mean and narrow land where they probably won’t let me claim benefits or NHS care for having had the temerity to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                          Paul does "multiculturalism" too.
                                          Paul's a racist prick.

Comment

I picketed IDS's office yesterday (not on my own, I hasten to add)

Comment

Caught sight of Jacob Rees-Smugg this morning on the Andrew Marr show while pottering around the house. Paid little attention to Walter the Softy’s Edwardo-Victorian drivel of course but he seemed to be talking of his new marra Steve Bannon at some point, heaping encomiums on the cunt in his trademark mealy-mouthed way.

Anyway, my attention was fleetingly drawn to some 1920s/1930s-looking trinkets and ornaments behind him. The whole decor of the room (his living room?) really had a very entre-deux-guerres feel to it, you wonder whether it's a purely accidental sort of thing or a carefully crafted subliminal message to his "people" (hmm, I'd go for the latter, I can just imagine his media adviser –his nan probably, Veronica, the lucky woman who used to wipe his arse- saying to him, "Jacob my dear, make sure you look the part old chap, be wild, have that Roaring Twenties’ vibe all around you, furniture, porcelains, bibelots and all, think of your target audience, think of the Empire, think of Britain"). The scene seemed straight out of a P.G. Wodehouse novel. If they redid Jeeves and Wooster, I bet they'd choose him instead of Hugh Laurie.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                                So this happened today.

He's now known also for social security policy so bad that it's genuinely difficult to tell what's malice and incompetence.

There are so few Tories willing to stick their necks out properly for Hard Brexit, IDS is their "heavyweight". He's not very bright and unpleasant, but the others have even worse media skills.

Comment

So, the no regulation, fuck the proles, climate change denying wing of the Tory party has issued its demands. Watch May cave in like a wet cardboard box.

How the fuck has it come to this?

Comment

I don't know now. She's folded on the "Divorce Bill". Can't see he point of that if she isn't going to fold on other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X