Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bike infrastructure is quite decent for a Southern city

https://bikewalksavannah.org/resources/bikesav-map/

Savannah used to be majority Black, but is now only plurality Black.

The Latino population has more than trebled since 2000.
    Last edited by ursus arctos; 06-03-2024, 23:33.

Comment

The Latino population has probably trebled from one person to three people.

My experience in SC is that you shouldn't have particularly high expectations for the Mexican food. There will probably be one or two places that are great, but everything else will be a morass of the mediocre.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

Really, it needs to tax property adequately (and to tell NIMBYs to fuck off). In terms of income, I'm pretty sure that it already has by far the highest rate of state income tax on the top end. Not that it couldn't be higher, but that's not the fundamental problem in the state.

I'm not really sure, mind you, that California really has big problems - apart from the homeless, who're mostly here because California's nicer than many other states in either winter or summer, depending.

It is, of course, worthy of remark that California has the highest income tax, by far the biggest economy, what appears to be the best innovation economy in terms of new industries, and the fourth highest GDP per capita (behind other high tax states, New York, Massachusetts and Washington), almost as if the right wing are completely and utterly wrong that lower taxes make people richer and encourage wealth creation.
        Yes, property. I was counting that as wealth and plan its development better with more housing.

It’s not at all a stretch to say the GOP now fully embodies the values of Confederate plantation owners.

I’ve occasionally talked to medtech companies doing something in Florida or Austin, but it’s overwhelmingly Massachusetts, Minnesota, and California. I’ve never heard anyone say “we should headquarter or company where taxes are low.” Some investors think that, but not anybody who actually has to build the company.

Comment

More than 10,000 Latinos (in a city of about 150,000)

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Yes, property. I was counting that as wealth and plan its development better with more housing.

It’s not at all a stretch to say the GOP now fully embodies the values of Confederate plantation owners.

I’ve occasionally talked to medtech companies doing something in Florida or Austin, but it’s overwhelmingly Massachusetts, Minnesota, and California. I’ve never heard anyone say “we should headquarter or company where taxes are low.” Some investors think that, but not anybody who actually has to build the company.
            I've known some businesses who've done what Tesla did and try and move their innovation people to a low tax state like Texas. But it turns out that high wealth, high creativity, elite engineers and programmers and everything else, actually would rather live somewhere nice and pay an extra 50k tax on their $1m salary, because they have more than enough money anyway so they'd rather not live in the neverending sweaty concrete hell-sprawl of the DFW metropolis. So they have promptly relocated their HQs back to the west coast or north-east.

Comment

My top North American major cities.

1. Toronto
              2. Minneapolis
              3. Boston

Comment

I like lots of NA cities, so my list would be long. But the "Liberal Enclave In A Sea Of Republicans" thing that Anton talks about always charmed me. Bentonville and Fayetteville in Arkansas. Lawrence, Kansas. Parts of Nashville. Austin (although it believes too much of its own hype). Charleston and Savannah, obviously (although they're not *that* liberal). And so on.

Comment

I think that some people are underestimating the power of US state governments in terms of things like guns, policing, forced birth, the demonisation of LGBTQ people, the destruction of public education, etc, but maybe that's just me.

Comment

Move to Chicago. We keep it as real as can be. High taxes, high violence, bad roads.

Comment

Don't forget the awful weather year round

Comment

Year round is an East Coast stretch. Did I mention that this year we expect to have to clear bugs off the street using snow shovels?

Comment

We are always talking you down.

The combination of lake effect snow and stiffling heat and humidity has always impressed me.

Comment

Lake effect snow seems to hammer Michigan City more than us over recent years. Tornados and all that are fun. I don't really find the awful heat of summer any worse here than NYC / East Coast. It all operates at 90-95% not my thing.

Comment

I would have rated Chicago much higher before I went vegan.

Comment

Don't they have good vegan places in Chicago?

Comment

In FL you can find progressive circles in Tampa and St. Petersburg. Both also have campuses. Whether they'll survive this fascist onslaught intact is another matter.

Comment

I believe St. Petersburg even has some cycle lanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Plodder View Post
                                      Don't they have good vegan places in Chicago?
                                      I'm sure there are good vegan places in every major city. But that sort of defeats the purpose of eating in Chicago.

Comment

Woah McAuley Culkin

Wasn't his Home Alone family from Chicago as well

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                          Move to Chicago. We keep it as real as can be. High taxes, high violence, bad roads.
                                          Great city flag, it has to be said.

Comment

So, he's posted a USD 91.5 million bond in order to appeal the latest Carroll judgement.

As of now, the source of the funds is absolutely opaque.

Comment

https://twitter.com/GOP/status/1765957667439173906?t=bQ9y8ELwMNoOv5cquW-DTA&s=19

WTAF...

Looks for a Puke emoji...

Comment

An interesting window into Truth Social

Donald Trump posted a response last night on Truth Social to Joe Biden's remarks about the pandemic, and he is getting absolutely destroyed in the replies by his own MAGA supporters.
                                                https://www.meidastouch.com/news/tru...s-vaccine-post

Comment

Turbo cancer? A new one on me.

Comment

Same here

It is really, really hard to keep up

Comment

Working...
                                                    X