No announcement yet.

Trump's Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure where to put this, but I can't help but be impressed by Simone Biles. (Aside from the whole being able to fly thing.)

Comment

She’s really had enough of all the bullshit and doesn’t care who knows

Comment

The astonishing privelige of Bono in comparing her exercise of her 1st amendment rights with Kaepernick's was jawdropping. The latter has been ostracised from the sport he's trained his whole life for as a result of his exercise of those rights, whereas the former has...been given a payoff and will pop up somewhere soon. The fucking tone deafness of these twats.

Comment

Long lines= attempted voter suppression and high turnout.

https://twitter.com/ben_brasch/status/1052571889762295810

Comment

This Tweet belongs on this page too I think

https://twitter.com/OberandOut/status/1052029457702289412

And reminder that anyone who enjoys a Sackler gallery in the V & A , Royal Academy, Ashmolean and many more "respectacble" insitutions in the UK or Us has benefited from the Sackler family's relentless marketing of Oxycontin - though they know its effects.

Comment

I was given Oxycontin in hospital. it's a fucking serious pain killer. the thing is that if you're in massive amounts of pain it just makes you feel normal. I can't imagine what the hell it's like outside of the ICU environment. I'm really not sure that something like this needs to be marketed.

Comment

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1052644783070560256

What is this about?

Comment

US financial institutions are not fond of financial regulations.

They are particularly adverse to any such regulations which they cannot write and/or profoundly influence through the hundreds of elected representatives they fund.

For this reason, they are most favourably disposed to regulations enacted by the US, where they have the most influence.

If they really have to put up with another rule maker, their preference is for the UK, where their influence is also very large.

Brexit will mean that Euro clearing, which has been based in London since the beginning, will have to go somewhere that is actually in the EU.

That gives the EU and Member States the chance to make rules on an aspect of the US financial institutions' operations.

This is a shot across the bow reminding the Europeans that if they don't play nice, they will suffer consequences in the US.

Comment

Brexit will mean that Euro clearing, which has been based in London since the beginning, will have to go somewhere that is actually in the EU.
                    What are the technicalities/practicalities of this?

I always assumed this stuff would happen pretty much at a stroke of a regulator's pen. But you come across figures like this

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit...volumes-2018-9

UBS: LCH, the London clearing house owned by the London Stock Exchange, is likely to lose at least 25% of its euro clearing volumes as a result of Brexit.
                    which suggest that it's up for grabs.

You can give me as short or long an answer as you like. I know what a clearing house is, that's about all.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                      I was given Oxycontin in hospital. it's a fucking serious pain killer. the thing is that if you're in massive amounts of pain it just makes you feel normal. I can't imagine what the hell it's like outside of the ICU environment. I'm really not sure that something like this needs to be marketed.
                      When I had my kidney stones the first time, I went through a five day supply in two and half days. They were lovely. Then my wife hid them for my own good. I can only begin to imagine how addicting they can be long-term.

Comment

It's one of the zillions of "technical details" that is still up in the air and being kicked down the road to the "future relationship" negotiations, as far as I know.

The UK believes that it can keep Euro clearing even if the UK isn't in the EU; the EU and the Member States think that doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Can the EU stop the UK having the Euro Clearing House by passing a regulation? That's the impression I've always got. But when you see people saying x% will go (and not the whole shooting match), that makes me think it's different to that.

Comment

They presumably could bar EU-domiciled institutions from using a London clearing house.

Comment

Ah cheers. That explains it.

Comment

A polling nugget, hopefully an outlier but it has me worried. CA's prop 6, repealing the gas tax, looks like to win - 58-29 up in the only recent poll. Enough of a lead to almost certainly not be polling error. If Californians refuse to let the CA assembly impose any new taxes and just repeal them all at the polls, the state is headed to yet another fiscal disaster. It's the worst kind of populist bollocks, and the arguments I've seen presented are incredibly trite "CA has enough money already, and they can't keep the roads in good shape. Why should we trust them to do it with more of our money?" Gah. And Grr.

Comment

Rick Scott's "blind trust" (he is very rich) turns out not to be blind at all. Probably won't shift any votes, but it should.

Comment

Scott is an awful human being, but I hadn’t realized he was such a grifter

To shield himself from future conflict charges, Mr. Scott, who is now running to unseat the incumbent senator Bill Nelson, created a $73.8 million investment account that he called a blind trust. But an examination of Mr. Scott’s finances shows that his trust has been blind in name only. There have been numerous ways for him to have knowledge about his holdings: Among other things, he transferred many assets to his wife and neither “blinded” nor disclosed them. And their investments have included corporations, partnerships and funds that stood to benefit from his administration’s actions.
                                    SB, it is a curse. A cautionary tale from Oregon.

A split between rural parts of the county, which mostly rejected higher taxes, and urban parts; an us-versus-them battle over who now gets to borrow library books; and general chaos, as people try to figure out the mechanics of running an institution that had long been the purview of local government.

Comment

Our government's not raised fuel duty for 8 years. Estimated loss to Treasury of £45bn.

Comment

It's almost like your government wasn't remotely interested in closing the budget deficit at all

Comment

Yeah.

They learned from the Major government who introduced the fuel duty accelerator, and couldn't even win by-elections in Christchurch.

Comment

Though they did whack up VAT which increases petrol prices.

Comment

In Nevada news, Laxalt is front-running. Of course 538 are usually correct (smiley face), so let's not be hasty here.

Alternatively, we're all fucking doomed. The Adelson-Journal are going full on against him.

The 'good' news, is that ... well, not much really.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                A polling nugget, hopefully an outlier but it has me worried. CA's prop 6, repealing the gas tax, looks like to win - 58-29 up in the only recent poll. Enough of a lead to almost certainly not be polling error. If Californians refuse to let the CA assembly impose any new taxes and just repeal them all at the polls, the state is headed to yet another fiscal disaster. It's the worst kind of populist bollocks, and the arguments I've seen presented are incredibly trite "CA has enough money already, and they can't keep the roads in good shape. Why should we trust them to do it with more of our money?" Gah. And Grr.
                                                Yeah, it's bad news. Republicans could take a lot of power away from Democrats statewide if they could figure out a way to make their campaigns based solely on perceived attacks on drivers and auto issues. We got Schwarzenegger basically because of people hating Gray Davis slightly raising car registration fees.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  Scott is an awful human being, but I hadn’t realized he was such a grifter

SB, it is a curse. A cautionary tale from Oregon.
                                                  They're all grifters, Ursus. hadn't you spotted that?

Comment

Intellectually yes, but evidently not emotionally

Comment

Working...
                                                    X