X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1005586152076689408?s=19

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1005586562959093760
      Last edited by ursus arctos; 09-06-2018, 23:33.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        "Where are the bodies buried? Talk, dammit!"
        "You ain't got nothing on me."

Comment

He's definitely getting worse.

Have we seen the end of Republican retirements?

Comment

Hard to say.

The large majority have already been announced, but some states have quite late deadlines for ballot entries, and this is the kind of thing that may make some people wonder if it is worth it.

Comment

The trump/merkel face off is Holbein renaissance action portrait realist perfection. Somewhere frozen in Time. Before the bombs fell. The North Did Rise Again. And it all turned out wrong.

Comment

Look at the expression on Bolton’s mouth. What an absolute prick. Next meeting Merkel brings a vial of Vitriol, ends it like Pinky at the pier. Him or her, only one cunt leaves the room.

Comment

He reminds me of me at about 6 and peak cuntishness in fold arms body language. But I had any airs and graces beaten out by life goddamit, he truly is perma Calvin. Whoever subbed Trumps face on the Calvin bits of Calvin and Hobbes strips was a bleak prescient genius. Like Paul Atreides, the eyes are a burden no longer needed.
                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 10-06-2018, 01:52.

Comment

Surely he’s got syphillis or bad clap. Rot rot rot ya bam just please fucking die. At least a terrible chronic never healing dose of herpes. And hep. Please give him Hep. In his eyelids and flesh folds and mucus membranes malignant cysts ooze and suppurate guilt and as yet unimagined outrages.

Comment

Looking at that photo more closely, merkel, despite her 'in command' stance is actually more of an onlooker. Trump, Bolton and Shinzo are all looking directly at macron.

Comment

I have a bad feeling that this behaviour, insane on its face, will play out well for him in the polls. Many Americans actually want to be led by an isolationist wrecking ball.

Comment

Heather Nauert cited D-Day as an example of the USA's close relationship with Germany:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8387221.html

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            I have a bad feeling that this behaviour, insane on its face, will play out well for him in the polls. Many Americans actually want to be led by an isolationist wrecking ball.
                            `Kevin Drum shares your analysis

Comment

Many Americans actually want to be led by an isolationist wrecking ball.
                              The world's going mad. My wife was telling me yesterday that one of her colleagues (an employee in the pharmacy where she works), by all accounts a "reasonable" and calm person normall, suddenly exploded about Brexit on Friday at lunchtime while they were having a break.

A customer had mentioned Brexit earlier (I think he'd complained that the English label covering the foreign language on the packaging had been torn or something - most drugs come from the EU/EEA so importers put an English label over the text if they can't change the box, sthg like that anyway) so the staff started talking about Brexit (they usually avoid the subject) and that usually calm colleague (a Brexiter) went all gammon and just lost it: "I am sooooo sick of Brexit, why can't they just get on with it... We need to leave the EU and get out right now, why can't we, they're stopping us etc. etc." and then concluded her 20 second rant with this gem: "My husband says that we need to build another Hadrian's Wall between us and them [HW is in our county] and he is absolutely right, we need a wall." (she wasn't joking at all when she said that. She actually left the room soon after as it cast a bit of a chill). Yep, that's what reading the Sun since childhood does to you.
                              Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 10-06-2018, 10:34.

Comment

Christ, look at the state of the advisers. They're as bad as Trump.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...h-korea-summit

“Potus [the president of the United States] is not going to let a Canadian prime minister push him around – push him, Potus around, on the eve of this,” Kudlow said. “He is not going to permit any show of weakness on the trip to negotiate with North Korea. Nor should he.”

“There’s a special place in hell for any foreign leader that engages in bad faith diplomacy with President Donald J Trump and then tries to stab him in the back on the way out the door and that’s what Bad Faith Justin Trudeau did with that stunt press conference,” Navarro said, adding that his comments had come “right from Air Force One”.

Comment

https://twitter.com/HoarseWisperer/status/1005825373077168128?s=19

Comment

I'm beginning to realise that many (most) people don't deserve democracy.

It requires qualities that seem to have vanished or are fast disappearing. A scintilla of reason, empathy, humility and courage, for example, seem essential, yet I don't see them, certainly not in our so called leaders, nor often in the public at large.
                                    Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 10-06-2018, 16:49.

Comment

"Economic anxiety".

Comment

I direct you to the words of Robert Underdunk Terwilliger.

Because you need me, Springfield. Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. That's why I did this, to save you from yourselves.

Comment

Epically great quote. But will that be followed by ...

Judge: Bailiffs, place the President under arrest!
                                          Freakshow Don: What...? Oh, right, all that stuff I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                            I'm beginning to realise that many (most) people don't deserve democracy.

It requires qualities that seem to have vanished or are fast disappearing. A scintilla of reason, empathy, humility and courage, for example, seem essential, yet I don't see them, certainly not in our so called leaders, nor often in the public at large.
                                            I’m not far from thinking like you, sadly. Maybe not most people but a frighteningly large minority. I really do not want to think that so I try hard to push such depressing thoughts to the back of my mind but it feels like a losing battle at times, like I’m slowly being dragged into a horrible spiral of conflicting emotions over this.

To stop all this negativity durably permeate my consciousness, I try to tap into the goodness inherent in many people, I want to believe in this intrinsic goodness in people. Sounds very rousseauist, very religious even, but what the hell. I try to engage with people in different, more uplifting ways, in ways that force you see beyond the ugly sides of the human soul. I help in the community, I do volunteer work too, I generally try to "positivise", to bring positivity to the fore. It keeps me just about sane and enables me to see people and situations in a brighter, more optimistic light. Not always as easy as it sounds. You may be helping elderly people for instance, and then find out that quite a few of them think Farage is great; or push (disabled) people in wheelchairs and then one day hear them, or their family, rant against freedom of speech and say they want most foreigners out for a host of appalling reasons. Their very family who happen to be from the Indian subcontinent, people who suffered from racism when they came over to Britain and sometimes even repression or ostracism in their country of origin.

This is not just about Brexit of course, but also about what I see happening in France and elsewhere, in the illiberal Central-Eastern European states and so on. An awful lot of Westerners have become spoilt rotten and many have no idea, or have forgotten, what hardship and autocracy/dictatorship actually mean. That or they just don’t care, they think it can only happen to others, people less deserving than themselves. As they get older and comfortable, many seem to want to exact on others what they went through and justify this "tough love" approach in horribly misguided ways.
                                            The cult of the strongman and the cult of "radical" and dangerously simplistic solutions have been gaining serious traction all over the West in the last few years (Trumpism, the Katie Hopkinsation of British society, the new reactionaries in France, the Italian situation etc.), all this has mainstreamed irrationality, scapegoating, hatred, and considerably hardened people.

Comment

I too do try to remain hopeful. I don't often experience the negative traits you mention in most of my friends, nor — more reassuringly — my students. It's been a particularly bad week here, what with the G7 debacle, and the Ontario election result so I'm possibly overreacting. Normally I think I'm what Bertrand Russell described as a pessimistic-optimist but, on the eve of my seventieth birthday, I find the latter quality tested much more than in the past. It's compounded by the knowledge that, though I and my wife likely won't reap the consequences of the present malignant idiocy, we've kids and grand-kids who will. I can't shake-off the feeling that, in some sense, we've let them down. The very least you hope for is leaving the world in a better state than you found it, but that isn't likely to be the case.

Comment

There are people in Trump's Whitehouse who are paid to literally sellotape Presidential papers back together after Trump tears them up.

Seriously, you could not make this shit up. Armando Iannucci couldn't make this shit up.

You couldn't imagine a President who was so unwilling to behave like a normal human being that you can't stop him tearing up official documents.

Comment

It's really been a pleasure getting to engage with all of you.

Comment

Likewise, and no hard feelings if we end up on opposite sides in the coming world war.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X